Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 1, 2011, 7:56 PM   #1

Default Advice please on HD2000 wide angle lens

I saw this one on eBay, does it look suitable?

http://cgi.ebay.com/45X-Wide-Angle-M...#ht_4565wt_885

I'm not a professional photographer so I don't anything really fancy, just something basic. Would prefer to keep the purchase under $100 as a rough figure.

If anyone has any recommendations of suitable lenses they've used for the Xacti HD2000, I would love to hear them!
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:06 AM   #2

Get the original Sanyo Wide Angle lens (VPC-L07W). The lens quality is far better then the no-name lenses on eBay. I compared lot's of pictures and video's of wide-angels for the HD2000, but the VPC-L07W is by far the sharpest, although when completely zoomed in it seems to get a bit soft.

The knockoffs are very distorted, have color issues or just look like your are filming through a drinking glass.

In any case, you need a lens that fits on a 40.5mm thread. The link you have there points to a 37mm filter + an adapter ring, which is far from optimal and probably causes vignetting.
Rawit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2011, 2:50 AM   #3

I had already bought a 3rd party (which I'm reasonably happy with, but was getting that weird "drinking glass" thing you mentioned sometimes).

Anyway I managed to find the VPC-L07W at a great price on eBay Australia - Au$78 - so I've just bought one. It's a bit of a splurge for me but since I invested in the camera and got a good price for it, I may as well get a decent lens. I'm amazed it was so cheap because I see other sites selling it for a LOT more money, and many other sites that have it in a Google search, but when you go there they no longer stock it. It looks like an increasingly rare item.

Thanks!
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:38 AM   #4

I think I bought it from the same Ebay dealer as you. Nice price!
Rawit is offline   Reply With Quote