Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 18, 2005, 5:04 PM   #11

Hi

I am looking to get one of these, can anyone tell me if the c4 is also a good webcam ?

Cheers
BOBDENAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:09 AM   #12

BOBDENAR - if you plug in the RCA cables (the ones used to play movies from the unit on TV) into a video capture card on the computer, you can use the Xacti as a "webcam" by opening the software that comes with the capture card (eg. ULead Movie Factory). But there are two problems: (1) the unit switches off automatically (max. 30 minutes even on mains; no selection of "Never") (2) all the information you see on the LCD screen of the Xacti (little icons eg. for "mode", "minutes left" etc.) are also streamed. I cannot find a place to switch off the information display. You cannot use the USB to stream a live image from the unit. You computer detects the unit as a hard drive by USB, which is only for transferring movies already made by the camera.

I also bought a C4 recently (price dropped as C5 debuted). I love the tiny size, my best buddy for travel and scenic shots! Video quality is decent to good (nothing like Sony or even my old Canon ZR30!), but remember MP4 movies are HIGHLY DEPENDENT on the speed of your computer - they look better when played on the computer than directly played on the TV from the unit, and they look better with better computer hardware (faster processor like Pentium 4, and a good video card). The low light performance (indoor with strong lighting (eg. basketball match) or indoor with bright daylight) is terrible though: when there is not enough light, the movie gets blocky and choppy (motion artefacts). The digital camera is very good - in fact better than the Minolta Z10 I took along! Sharpness is very good, the colour tone is a little too blue-green (good for outdoors) but nothing that cannot be corrected by Photoshop. It is totally automatic but with modes (Sport, Portrait etc). Low light (eg. ISO 400) stills look better than in movie mode (but remember the camera has to process movement in movie mode). Overall an excellent all-in-1 camera/ camcorder package which is point&shoot and tiny.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:22 AM   #13

Hey, i have the sanyo c-5, and its really nice to use. the pictures are sometimes blurry, and the software that came with it is less than useless, but all in all a nice camera to use, and it gets plenty of jealous looks from others. unfortunately, i was very disapointed with the performance of this camera in low light. the pictures are hard to make out, and the videos are just a mass of black. the video quality suprised me (pleasantly) and is easily good enougt for my (28") tv.

so i would recomend this to amateurs, who like to take a few photos and just random videos (like me), but not to professional types, as the 5mp pics dont really look too brilliant (unless in macro mode, in which case they look ace!)

i got this off ebay, from pro-dc store, for £315, with a 1gb sd card, and including postage, so i think i got a rather good deal.

hope this helps,
tom
tinytom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 11:16 AM   #14
Administrator

The Xacti C5 review is now posted. The Xacti C4 review will follow in a couple of weeks.

The one really nice thing about it is that it is one of a very few cameras that I've seen that can be used by righties or lefties almost equally well. This should make at least a few people happy as 99.999999% of the cameras are made for righties only.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:36 PM   #15

Hi Steve,

Thanks for giving this little gadget a reivew. I bought this camera (C4, older model) mainly as a camcorder for its MP4 movie function, but I also find the still camera function good. I believe most people who are interested will be using it as a camcorder as much as a still camera, and they may be more interested in reviewing the capability of the camcorder function, since flash card camcorders made by mainstream manufacturers are relatively new.

I understand this is mainly a digital still camera review site (just as dvspot or camcorderinfo only review camcorders). I find that as more and more of such hybrid devices are introduced, it is difficult to find a review which is good "for both worlds". I appreciate that you review both the still and movie capabilities equally.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:17 PM   #16

From Steve's review it looks as tho' the C5 is really worth looking at; it would form an ideal companion for someone with a dSLR who wants to have video capability; the whole system, e.g., a digital rebel XT with a Sigma 18-200 lens and the C5 would cost just around $2000 and would be extremely pocketable and cost effective; the only thing that one would miss from this combination vs a high end prosumer would probably be the composing and viewing versatality of a "flip and twist" lcd on your main still camera
samcheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 1:48 AM   #17

hi guys,this camera seems really good,but does it have a burst mode???
how much differance is their between c4 n c5 in terms of quality of pics n videos???

ankitalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:36 PM   #18
Administrator

ankitalmighty wrote:
Quote:
hi guys,this camera seems really good,but does it have a burst mode???
how much differance is their between c4 n c5 in terms of quality of pics n videos???

Burst mode? Well, kind of ... it's called 640x480 movie mode at 30 frames per second. But no, there is no burst mode for still image capture, this is sort of expected as the camera only has an LCD viewfinder and they can't keep up with continuous capture rates at higher resolutions.

The C4 and C5 are nearly identical in both video and still quality, the C5 having a little larger 5MP sensor.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 6:37 AM   #19

This is the kind of camera that I've been looking for.........

Question for Steve,

It seems like user would have to hold this camera in one hand and taking picture at the same time - Is there any problems with keeping the camera still so the pictures wont be blurry.

Also, how would you rate the pictures in compare to other compact cameras such as Kodak V550, Fuji F10. Would you say that images produced by the Sanyo are of the same caliber as V550 and F10.

Thank you for review this rather interesting camera. I am looking forward to hear from you soon. Thanks.
cuthien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 8:02 PM   #20

Hi Steve,

According to the Sanyo Canada website, Xacti VPC-C4 is sold in selected dealers in Canada:

http://www.sanyo.ca/en-CA/entertainm...?productID=578

I checked online and found three of the stores listed do sell the C4 (Dell Canada, CompuSmart, 2001AudioVideo). Sanyo Canada told me the warranty is North America wide, including USA (I am not Canadian). However, because of the higher price and exchange rate back then (about 6-7 months ago), and urgency to buy because I was going on a trip soon, I bought from an online store that sells Asian imports, and risk the warranty (they said if the unit needs repair, I have to send it back to them, who then send it back to Japan for the repair!).

The price of C4 has dropped further and will probably be sold out soon. I encourage people to take a look at this seriously to the C5.