Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 29, 2005, 5:59 PM   #21
Administrator

cuthien wrote:
Quote:
Question for Steve,

It seems like user would have to hold this camera in one hand and taking picture at the same time - Is there any problems with keeping the camera still so the pictures wont be blurry.

Also, how would you rate the pictures in compare to other compact cameras such as Kodak V550, Fuji F10. Would you say that images produced by the Sanyo are of the same caliber as V550 and F10.

It is real easy to hold one-handed and shoot movies, it has an image stabilizer for movie mode. For still images, it is as good as most of the "big" digicams, if the shutter speed is fast enough there is no blur problems - same as any camera.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:16 AM   #22

Further to the discussion earlier about composite video out (RCA),a query toC4/C5 owners:

1.Can I check this: You can see what you see on the monitor LCD by plugging into the composite video output? Even during recording/taking pics? Another C4 owner has told me this is not possible, you only get composite video out on playback:?.

2. Also, is this only available via the base station, or is there a cable that goes straight from the camera (so I can put it on a tripod)?If only via base station, is this just because the signal is on the bespokebase connection, oris the base stationan 'active component', generating the composite video output?

Doofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 5:06 PM   #23

I just checked to make sure I wasn't drunk when I posted this was possible.:lol:

And .... YES, it is possible to connect the camera with the (included) RCA cable to a TV and show what is on the LCD screen of the camera when it is switched on. In fact the LCD screen is disabled when the image from the camera is displayed on the TV. I don't think sound is transmitted though. You can also record (on the camera) in the usual way when it is hooked up.

Apart from the RCA cable, a small black travel adaptor also comes with the camera package. There is a power socket and a video socket, which allows you to charge the camera and view recorded video in the camera on a TV set on the road. I use this travel adaptor to do this job. I have not tried the base, but I believe the camera generate the AV output, not the base or this adaptor.

When you plug the camera into the base or this adaptor, the tripod socket is blocked.

Remember also: (1) all the information shown on the LCD (battery life, time left etc.) is also transmitted to the TV - I don't see any setting to switch them off (2) the camera turns off automatically (max. 30 min., there is NO "never" or "always on" setting) - I guess unless you are using the camera such as recording it won't turn itself off.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 4:02 AM   #24

Thanks blindsight. THa's very useful info. I've been looking for a teeny digicam I can make airbourne - see http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/splat.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:32 AM   #25

Sorry blindsight, I'm going to have to check once more!

Sanyo UK have just informed me: " There is a cable/adaptor supplied with the camera which is used to connect the camera to a computer. You can only view on playback, one is not able to monitor a recording."

SO, Can I just check that when you said "You can also record (on the camera) in the usual way when it is hooked up.", you meant that not only would the camera record when hooked upvia the composite video/RCA lead, but that you can see what would normally be displayed on the LCD monitor on an external monitor/TV/whatever during the recording? IE. that the camera definitely continues to provide a composite video out during recording?

(I wonder if THEY are getting confused!)

Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:42 PM   #26
Administrator

Doofer - we use the live Video Out extensively in our reviews, this is how we get those nifty screen captures. YES - you can monitor the video during record as well as playback mode with the C4 or C5, I have both of them here and use the C4 myself all the time. You do need to use the adapter (shown below) when not using the docking cradle.

Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:23 PM   #27

From my experience with the C4, both Steve and Sanyo UK are right. It has to do with the video output signal format.

In NTSC mode, the camera forwards the display to video out, just as Steve says.

In PAL mode, the camera does not forward the display to video out. Only playback is transmitted to the video out. You will get a black screen during monitoring and recording. This is what Sanyo UK is referring to, since UK uses PAL standard.

The output signal format does not affect the internal processing. The C4 still records VGA resolution at 30fps at both settings.

msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2005, 5:46 AM   #28

Thanks, that's the explanation! :idea:How kind of them to put in this 'feature'.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 12:01 PM   #29
Administrator

Sorry, I didn't even consider the NTSC vs PAL issue as we use only NTSC here in the states. And the NTSC standard is what drives most camera's LCD displays so it is an easy thing to output it externally. This is why most digicams have a TV Out feature that works in record as well as playback mode.
Old Sep 27, 2005, 1:41 PM   #30

Can anyone tell me if they have been able to use their Sanyo C5 as a webcam on MAC. if so, how? i am able to download video and photos just fine, but i can't seem the camera as a device/hardware.

I found the Xacti C5 is only US$425.
http://www.igearbox.com/product_info...roducts_id=256

I'm surpriese this high quality product can be sold as such low price. What a nice camera! I'm hoping that other manufacturers will begin incorporating MPEG-4 into their cameras.
olivia_k is offline   Reply With Quote