Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:45 PM   #1

Hi,

I haven't noticed too much action on the Sanyo side of things and I normally seem to hang out on the Konica/Minolta side of the board but I recently was looking at the Xacti C4. Anyone played with one of these? Here is a link to it:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/dsc/E/c4/pho.html

I just bought one for my mom to use as it does digital video on an SD card in Mpeg4 format and also has a 4.23MP CCD with 5.8x optical zoom. I had a chance to play with it for the first time tonight. So far I'm pretty surprised at the ouput.

It won't be confused for a pro-sumer camera but it does a pretty nice job. It has some issues while shooting indoors at a school which has those funky vapor lights that aren't like normal indoor lights but some photos outside were well saturated.

Redeye will be an issue with how close the flash is to the lens all in all I am quite surprised. Noise wasn't terrible either. Microphone is stereo and it seems to be pretty good. When I get a chance I will post some pics. I may try and post some video clips too. They were a bit noiser but it was not very bright lighting but the VGA mode was quite nice. It even has a digital image stabilizer.

-Tim
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 3, 2004, 1:04 AM   #2

Here a good review of the C4. Movie samples and Picture sample too. For video still too much noise for me with the price. I hope 3rd generation ups video quality but of course SD card limitations may factor in.

Sorry for the long URL. It has been translated.

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

jppoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:33 AM   #3

A good camera but I want to buy a bigger SD card, can anyone tell me what are the recommended dimensions for this camera (couldnt find it myself)..

Thank you
peedimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:25 PM   #4

I own one of these and love it: it literally is palm-sized and rather than tell you the dimensions, I'll refer you to this page where you can see it in someone's hand:http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/dsc/E/c4/mov.html - I bought mine for $575 including shipping from semsons.com, but that did not include a card. You can buy a 1GB SD card these days for about $60 after rebates. I own a Canon GL1, a couple of Sony DV camcorders and a couple of digital still cameras, but from now on, this is the one I "pack" for vacations and family events. I like to shoot video and still from airplane windows and this is perfect for discreet shooting on an airliner. The 5.8 optical zoom and image stabilzation work well.
Bob_Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:26 PM   #5

Bought one yesterday... i love it!!!
Stonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 1:06 AM   #6

any sample video, guys? :roll:
alexzkhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 2:10 AM   #7

the sample is HERE. and if your computer doesn't support mp4, then I can suggest VLC media player. It's made with SHQ, 640x480, 30fps. So it should be top quality.
peedimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2005, 9:16 AM   #8

A friend of mine picked up one of these cameras in Tokyo this week for me. Problem is that the version he got only comes with the Japanese version of the software.

I called Sanyo Canada and they will not give me any support because I did not buy it in Canada (and paid 1/2 price for it from Tokyo). Apparently I won't be able to read the images from the SD card without the software (according to the helpful sales rep from Sanyo Canada).

Is there anyone out there who would send me a copy of the CDs?
fconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2005, 3:16 PM   #9

fconway wrote:
Quote:
Apparently I won't be able to read the images from the SD card without the software (according to the helpful sales rep from Sanyo Canada).
100% untrue.

The camera saves photographs and movies as industry standard files. The photographs are named SANY####.JPG, and the movie clips are named VCLP####.MP4, where #### is a 4 digit number.

The CD also contains 2 Ulead software titles: Movie Factory and Photo Explorer. I have tested that both can be installed on English Windows without problem. You will need to lauch each application's setup program directly instead of using the autorun menu.

The other programs on the CD are not as useful, and I have avoided them as result.
msb0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:56 PM   #10

Just notice that the Xacti DMX-C5 is available now!!!
http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductI...d=SANDMXC5-BRN

Anyone ordered? Could someone post a review or first thoughts?
Terry516 is offline   Reply With Quote