Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 24, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1

Hello,

I have just purchased the Xacti C5 and have started to play around with it. I have upgraded from my Canon A60, which took excellent pictures considering it was a 2 megapixel. Now with the C5, i have taken pictures using the auto settings for most everything with the image stabilization on, and then I started adjusting the settings with IS on and still i have noticed that the pictures look 'grainy'(not sure if that is the right term to use), and they just don't seem as clear or as sharp as the Canon A60 pictures. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, and i have tried in different lighting situations as well. Also, i noticed on the video's that i have captured that the picture is not as crisp and clear as well.

Has anyone else experienced this or does anyone have any recommendations?

thank you in advance!
sandals_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2005, 6:35 PM   #2

does anyone else have a C5 and could offer suggestions on taking shots? I am going holidays next week to the caribbean with the family and really wanted to be able to use this camera, but the pictures just don't look up to par....any help is appreciated.

thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:28 AM   #3

I have a Xacti C4 which is identical except for the 4 MP instead of 5 MP sensor.

RE: picture looks "grainy" - I haven't noticed this problem (my older camera is a Nikon Coolpix 990, 3 MP).

This MAY not be due to bad picture quality of the new camera (I said "MAY not"), and it MAY have something to do with the resolution setting of your computer screen. Remember there is a big jump of resolution (number of megapixels) from your old Canon to your new Sanyo. If you set your computer screen in a low(ish) resolution setting eg. anything below 1280 X 960 pixels, when you view the 5 MP pictures taken by the Sanyo, in "actual view" (ie. not shrunk to "fit the screen"), you will see more "fine details" of the pictures because of increased resolution of the camera with respect to the resolution of the screen. If you set the screen to a higher, more appropriate resolution, the pictures are "smaller" but "look better" (less grainy).

The only way to truely test the quality of the pictures is to take a picture of the same subject etc. at the HIGHEST resolution setting (ie. 2 MP for the Canon, 5 MP for the Sanyo) and the BEST quality setting, and print them out at the LARGEST setting appropriate for the resolution (I don't print often but I think 2 MP can make 5" X 4" standard prints from photo labs; 5 MP can make prints as large as 10" X 6" - ask your photo lab or use one of their computers that make prints: it will calculate for you). If you don't want to make hugh prints because of expense, you can set the Sanyo at around 2 MP (with BEST quality setting), and make the same photo lab print as your Canon picture (but this doesn't really test the full capability of the 5 MP).

Another possibility is that some cameras' AUTO metering mode don't work that well. If you know you are shooting in bright light, you can go into the menu and change the metering setting to "ISO 100" so that it is fixed. See if this makes any difference. You will notice grainy pictures when you go up to ISO 400, in dim light.

RE: video quality

I agree: the video (at the highest quality setting) can be choppy and "grainy" (showing little square blocks, which are video motion artifacts), particularly when (1) movement is fast (2) light is dim. I guess this is just the fact that the technology is not yet as good as current DV camcorders. Therefore, you trade video quality for pocketsize convenience.

P.S. DON'T take "snapshots" when you are recording in video mode, and believe they come out in excellent quality: these "snapshots" are fixed in low quality (I think 640 x 480 pixels), so that the camera can quickly reset to its video recording function, and you can save memory (videos take up huge memory reserve). You cannot change this setting.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply and the great suggestions. I will check the computer monitor resolution first. I have sold the canon so i can't really compare by taking pics with both but when i first got the sanyo, i got a couple of pics develeoped (4x6) that were taken at the highest setting (5MP), and they just didn;t look that great.

If you are shooting in an area with a low amount of natural light, what would be a good ISO setting, would you try a higher number?

I'll try out a few things and thanks again for all the suggestions!

Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:04 PM   #5

Hi, sandals_99,

I'm thinking about buying the C-5, but I have a question in regards to the remote. Does it only control playback, or can you activate the record function from it as well?

Thanks!
tag368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:16 PM   #6

Hi Tag368,

I haven't used the remote yet but as far as i can see based on the button layout, it seems more like a remote to be used for playback functions

Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:48 PM   #7

Hey Sandals_99,

That's what I thought it did, I found a C5 user manual online and it wasn't too clear but it seemed to indicate that playback was the only function on the remote.:sad:

Thanks for your reply!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 6:49 PM   #8

Hi Sandals_99,

I guess "grainy" pictures are either related to the quality of the sensor or the image processing/ compression software, and not related to the quality of the glass - however, Canon has better glass than Sanyo, no doubt about it.

I find my Xacti C4 (4 MP) pictures (outdoor nice bright day) nice and sharp (in fact, better than my other camera, Minolta Z10), but I have not printed them to see what they are like on photo paper. The only difference between mine and yours is the image sensor size.

I think ISO 100 and 200 should produce little graininess, but they are only good for bright outdoor light. If you fix the ISO to these when shooting at low light, the shutter speed may get too low and you get blurs. I guess you have to test it out youself to decide what is best for what situations.

Hi tag368,

Yes the remote is for playback control only.

Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:03 PM   #9

Hi blindsight, thanks for the confirmation on the remote!
Old Sep 2, 2005, 5:12 PM   #10

Silly me I got the controls of my Sanyo and Minolta mixed up:

In the Sanyo Xacti C4 (and C5), there are only settings for the pixel size and none for image quality (eg. standard, good, best). So I presume there is pre-set image compression.