Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:32 PM   #11

theranman wrote:
Quote:
[...]get the SUCCESSOR to the S2 IS, the S3 IS....which will be even better and will likely be announced withing the next couple of months.[...]
Do you have anything to back that up, or is that your own speculation?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 9:59 AM   #12

Unfortunately, pure speculation, but I suspect that a successor will be announced within the next couple of months. The competition moves too fast and the S2IS has now been around for a while.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:32 AM   #13

how long has the s2 been out? I thought only since June of 2006. What is the life cycle of a typical camera? 6 months? Anyhow, I came extremely close to purchasing the c5 but will wait to see how much *better* the low light capabilities of the c6 are. I don't see myself shooting much in low light but I guess it's better safe than sorry.
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 10:39 AM   #14

Some of the first major reviews of the S2 came out in May/June, but I believe the camera had been out for at least a month or two before that...not absolutely positive though.

I'm also waiting to hear about the low light performance of the C6. I want to be able to at least take an decent indoor shot at parties, not in total darkness, mind you. Also, I'm curious to know if the image stabilization really works or if it's more of a gimmick. I know that OPTICAL image stabilization is the cat's meow, but I'm not no sure that software stabilization is all that impressive. Actually, I'm not even sure that the image stabilization works for still photos. I think it may only work for video.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:11 PM   #15

ranman, what would you like to see improved in the S2? It seems like a pretty sweet camera as is. The only thing I could ask for was more compression on the video and unfortunately, because the zoom of it's len is 12x, we can never get a S3 in a smaller package.
Old Nov 4, 2005, 12:43 PM   #16

I ended up buying C5 for the portability and video.

Suffice to say indoor video is pretty useless, because indoor lighting is not strong enough.However, outdoor video is just fine, i used it when I ran the last marathon and hiking. I carry my C5 in my snap sac everyday.

There was no motor noise when i zoom etc. And the mpeg 4 movie file goes straight to imovie HD , no conversion needed.

All in all i don't have regret buying the C5, but of course, when C6 is here and can work like a real camcorder indoor, then i have to get that too.

I bought mine at plemix.com, like steve suggested, and the price/combination is the best.Only thing is it is in Hong Kong, and no return, so i was taking a chance.
strpyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2005, 4:04 PM   #17

Seiboshen,

Yes, better video compression would be the biggest improvement in the S2, but a larger LCD and an automatic pop-up flash wouldn't be bad either. And don't forget to ad another megapixel or two.

Btw, when it comes to innovation, EVERYTHING can be shrunken a little....even the S2.

Actually, ya know what the best improvement would be???? A bigger sensor! 1/1.8.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 12:30 PM   #18

how good is the S2 at taking video in low light?