Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 24, 2005, 10:21 PM   #1

I plan to solid state video as by Sony Digi8* firewire has stopped working.Too bad Canon Powershot s2 video is not mpeg4 so it will need an export cycle before it can be used in imovie.but Sanyo vpc 5 would be just right, except the zoom is only 5X and no optical stablization.right now plemix has sanyo vpc5 and a 2 G SD card for 535 dollars and i just bought Canonpower shot S2 for about about same price with only 1G SD card.Which one should i keep for dual camcorder and digital cam?Do you think the video will be way worse than my Sony digi8?
strpyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2005, 3:39 PM   #2

I found the answer myself.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=14849251

I now have both Xacti 5 and the S2 IS.

And i am going to keep Sanyo.
strpyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 10:38 AM   #3

so the video actually looks slightly better than the C5? I am torn between the S2 and C5 as I like the extra zoom and I really don't think I'd be taking videos of anything longer than a few minutes. I could be wrong but I just wanted to get snippets of my dogs playing, maybe a few funny moments here and there and I thought I could probably use iMovie or something to compress the file afterwards. I am worried about the C5 zoom and focus making too much noise as well as other have indicated in this forum. Is there anything you can tell me since you've owned both of these cameras?
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 12:39 PM   #4

Hi seiboshen, it sounds like you are making the case for getting an S2. Based on what I've seen the video looks better on the S2, in fact each frame makes a good still.And I can't speak for strpyw but it seems that the real issue is the practicality of it's file size relative to media size (max. 7 mins in a 1 GB SD). The S2 and C5 really are at opposite ends of the camera field in my mind. The S2 is more of a photographer'scamera whereas the C5is mostly an ultra-portable point-and-shoot videocam. If you primarily want to take stills, very short videos and don't mind that it doesn't fit in your pocket then the S2 is definitely your choice between the two,based onfeatures and price. If you read Steve's own comments in this forum he likes the C5 because he can easily carry it in a pocket everywhere and take spontaneous videos and photos. So, again,if portability and videos are your focus, the C5 is a good bet.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 1:35 PM   #5

Thank you very much for the informative response. Although video is more important to me, I keep on thinking that the C5 won't take sufficient photos even though it is a 5 mp camera. I am not expecting the photos to be as good as the Canon S2 but do you think it is as good say a 5mp ELPH camera? I had also heard that there is significant noise with the C5 when zooming and auto focusing, most web sites tend to agree that the S2 is virtually silent when zooming or focusing during videos. What is your experience with the noise levels on your C5? I also worry that if something happens to the C5 it will be hard to find someone who can repair it? What are your thoughts on the reliability of this unit? I like to take spontaneous videos as well and I know that is the strength of the C5 and a huge weakness on the S2. Thanks again for all the info, while I know this will come down to a personal preference of features, any additional info you have will be extremely helpful.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 2:10 PM   #6

I don't have a C5 (or an S2), I'm waiting for the ideal all-in-one digicamto come out... so I'll be waiting a very long time. :lol:

In the meantime, I'm having fun trying to keep track of the latest digicams that support video. I've been getting all comments, reviews,sample photos and videos from the net soI can't evaluatebetter thanyou could, sorry. From what I've read and the sample videos I've seen, yes, the C5's zoom and focus mechanisms' noise does carry into the audio, but apparently it's mostly when the environment is quiet. Thestills I've seen from the C5 are better than I would ever expect considering it's size, but it probably can't compare to good cameras with bigger/better lenses.

Good luck.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:46 PM   #7

thanks for the reply. Although I was buildin a case to get the S2, I am going with the C5 because I will need the convenience of it's small package since I want to capture those "hard to capture" life moments that can occur at the most spontaneous moments. Wit that said, I am sad to know that I will be giving up a 12X zoom lens...
Old Nov 3, 2005, 3:34 PM   #8

Nope, what you're hopefully gonna do is to muscle up a wee bit of patience and get the Sany C-6....at least it will have improved low lighting response and a 5x optical zoom. THEN, you're gonna save up your pennies, have a little more patience and get the SUCCESSOR to the S2 IS, the S3 IS....which will be even better and will likely be announced withing the next couple of months.

At least that's what I'm planning on doing. There is NO camera that serves all purposes, but for the me, a good pocketable plus a small megazoom does the trick.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2005, 4:32 PM   #9

that is really good advice. i am going to wait it out and at least read a few reviews on the C6. Hopefully Steve will be able to do it once they are out.
Old Nov 3, 2005, 11:11 PM   #10

and don't forget...Steve actually owns the C5, which says a LOT. What I can't understand is why it's not on his best buy list.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote