Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 13, 2005, 2:40 PM   #1

I'm looking for some advice on the best small mpeg4 camcorder. I have had the sanyo xacti c4 for about a year now and it has been brilliant. Unfortunately the screen has broken and its more or less useless now. Therefore i'm looking for something to replace it. Most important factors are:

1) Must be very small e.g pocket sized (so i can take it out at night and just get it out when i need to).

2) Capture as good as possible video. I understand its not going to be perfect, but quality of my c4 is fine.

3) SD card prefereable.

4) As good video quality in low light situations as i take it out in the evenings mostly. (only small niggle with c4 was video quality was poor or completly useless when it was too dark.

5) Not too expensive. c5 can be got for about £240.
s96024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2005, 1:51 PM   #2

could you post some sample footage of the c4 at night?

i have found sample footage of the c5 at night and would like to compare the two.

http://www.unmediated.org/archives/2...ted_sany_1.php

thanks so much in advance!
starpause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2005, 2:28 PM   #3

I see there is quite alot of cameras out there capable of recording mpeg footage @ 640X480 30fps. Will this be same as sanyo xacti c5 video footage?
Old Oct 18, 2005, 6:35 PM   #4

I think despite it's shortcomings, the C5's MPEG-4 video quality (and it has a niceoptical zoom) might be one of the best on the market at this time? (bestfile sizevs. quality) Ithinkother cameras will catch upover the next year.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:32 AM   #5

I've noticed the video quality in poor light looks OK on the C5'sLCD, but on my PC the files play backvery dark. However, when output onto a DVD via ULEAD Movie Factory, they lighten up quite a bit again. I have no idea why there is such a difference, but at least they can be viewed!
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:54 PM   #6

That's interesting. Think i will probably go for this camera because the c4 was so good, was really a long shot to find something better at the moment. Hope they bring something out with better low light footage because thats when most of my video is taken.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:54 PM   #7

vincesd wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed the video quality in poor light looks OK on the C5'sLCD, but on my PC the files play backvery dark. However, when output onto a DVD via ULEAD Movie Factory, they lighten up quite a bit again. I have no idea why there is such a difference, but at least they can be viewed!
I had this problem, and it was because I had the brightness turned down on my monitor. This wasn't apparent and made no difference until I started doing stuff with digital photography on the computer. Stupidly, I boosted the brightness on a couple of hundred stills before I realized what was going on. Fortunately I hadn't figured out how to edit video by then.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:56 PM   #8

i think there is something more at work with the dark playback on computers ... with apple's quicktime software the video from my c5 appears much brighter than when i play it back through media player classic.

i wish i could figure out how to boost the levels in media player classic, quicktime's interface is so clunky.
starpause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:59 AM   #9
Administrator

s96024 wrote:
Quote:
That's interesting. Think i will probably go for this camera because the c4 was so good, was really a long shot to find something better at the moment. Hope they bring something out with better low light footage because thats when most of my video is taken.

Also note that Sanyo just announced the C6 so maybe the C5 will drop in price a bit.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#c6

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 3:24 AM   #10

I noticed the release of the c6 couple of days ago, would it be worth waiting for that or is it basically the same as c5?