Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 11, 2005, 11:06 PM   #151

To reiterate... DMX isfor Japan, VPC is for everywhere else in the world, not just the US. Sanyo China lists the C5as a VPC as well. Having said that, I have no idea which model these sellers are selling, it could be the Japan model. Japan models shouldwork finein the US. Edit: and as far as I know they are all made in Japan, see earlier in this thread for what I suspect the differences between the models are.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:26 AM   #152

I ordered from warehouse123.com
Thanks for the suggestion filmchick!

Not only was it slightly cheaper than plemix.com (a whopping $6), but the shipping was much more reasonable, even into Canada which is a first for me. And I wasn't forced to set up a "paypal" account! It worked just fine with my Visa. The insurance was added for $0, I suspect that is a mistake... but I don't want it shipped without insurance!

They didn't have any of the "extras" I might want, like a 2GB SD card or a spare battery, but Costco has cards on for cheap ($219 Cdn for high-speed Sandisk 2GB) and a battery I can get at Compusmart. Some of the batteries being offered online are downright cheap, but that's because they are aftermarket ones, I think I'd prefer to buy an actual Sanyo battery.

I had a look at an Exilim S500 camera yesterday at Radioshack, and it actually looks like a nicer machine for a little bit cheaper, but it will probably suffer from poor low-light video and no wind noise suppression. What I did like was the built-in lens cap, the nice fingerprint resistant coating on the LCD, the higher bit-rate MP4 recording (4.1 Mbps Casio vs 3 Mbps for Sanyo - less compression artifacts), the extra features like the business card scanner. However, I am going with the Sanyo because it looks a lot easier to physically handle, the playback dock, the remote control, the S-video dub onto DVD recorder, etc. I wish the Sanyo had a little bit cleaner video but what the heck, this is as close to perfect as I'm going to get right now. Hot dog! I'm looking forward to it.

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:07 AM   #153

Warehouse123 now have the C6 and 1 Gb Toshiba SD card package for $507.

The Toshiba card is a normal one rated at 2MB/sec, I'm a bit clueless with my bytes and bits, would this be enough for the C6's write rates?
Panita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:31 AM   #154

Grunchy, I'll be really curious to hear about your experience, as I am in Canada as well and am curious about howpotential duties and taxes will be applied as well as delivery time. Edit: Oh, and about the S500, the reason it has a higher bit rate is actually because it uses less efficient codecs, it's using the old Microsoft MPEG-4 v1.1 (SP) codec along with PCM mono audio, which is hardly compressed. Check the surfing video of Steve's S500 User Review, it has really noisy video and audio.

Panita, if it is (how did you find out?) rated at 2MB/s then that is enough. The C6 records at highest quality at just over 3Mbps andsince 2MB/s = 16Mbps, that's five times faster than required. I haven't seen anyone evaluate how the Xacti cameras perform with faster cards,they may or may not "cycle" faster (shot-to-shot), but a faster card does have the advantage of being able to transfer data faster to your PC through a card reader. Edit:BTW using SD's"speed" notation, 2MB/swould beabout a "13x" speed (1x=150KB/s).
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:37 AM   #155

Caelum thx, just some googleing I found Toshiba's spec sheets and saw it stated elsewhere.

www.toshiba-components.com/products/ memory/data/ExtendedSD_BrDec04.pdf -

Yep the faster transfers to PC would be useful but I'm on a tight budget and the faster cards seem to cost a fair bit more (especially here in the UK). Also its the only card that warehouse123 offers in the deal or on its site unfortunately. I think I'm gonna plump for this deal..

OK the order is in...fingers crossed!!!
Panita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:27 PM   #156

Doh! Sanyo North America had originally put"Available in stores January 2006" for the C6on their web site, now it says "February 2006".
Old Dec 12, 2005, 1:00 PM   #157

Feb?!! That sucks...especially since I've ruled out the Sony T9.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:12 PM   #158

FilmChick, Grunchy, as soon as you guys get your cameras, please let me know. I am thinking of taking the plunge and the price is right. I could wait until February but I really wanted to use this camera to capture some holiday moments. If everything arrives as planned, I will order mine as well. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick question, is anyone going to hold out for the HD version of this camera?
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:25 PM   #159

At this point, zippo interest. I'd rather have a C7 if/when it comes out.

2-3 yrs down the road, when HD is ubiquitous, I'll probably want it. No urgency at all to be a guinea pig for the first generations.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 3:17 PM   #160

seiboshen, MP4-19B should be the first one here to get his C6 from warehouse123, he ordered it on Dec.8th (see page 6). Hopefully he'll share his experience with us. As for HD, I still have a CRT 4:3 TVand don't expect that to change for quite some time. I've played the C1/C4/C5/C6 sample videoson the TV (using my PC's TV out) and it's full screen goodness, higher res. would be a waste for me. If you have a 42" Plasma or bigger TV, then itmight be a different story. Regular TV channels look perfectly fine on my TV but I have a friend with a 50" 16:9 DLP and regular TV channels look really poor on it, hegot all of the HD channels and only watches those now. And I find it annoying seeing the black vertical bars at the sides for 4:3 broadcasts on his TV.:lol: