Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:11 AM   #171

So can u connect the C6 into a PC without the docking station directly with a standard USB/mini USB cable to transfer the files? Or does it need a proprietary USB cable and/or the docker?
Panita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:15 AM   #172
TNN

Xacti C6 very low light pictures and videos
http://putfile.com/techna

I took pictures and videos of a Pantone leaflet. This is not an actual Pantone calibration sheet. Unfortunately I have no lux-meter.
Video was shot in a room with electric blinds closed and then tilting the blinds step by step to let some light in on a dark grey day.
At the beginning of the movie the light level in the room is so low you could barely read a newspaper.
Towards the end, the light level in the room is still too low for a person to work.
I then switch on a 13 W desk lamp (Osram Dulux D neon bulb).
Camera set at 50 ISO with autofocus. The video shows the autofocus controller is pumping a little
Camera set at 400 ISO, manual focus. Some graininess but remember the light levels are very low.
I did a white balance of the camera prior to the test. I used the white background chosen with a tone close to that of the leaflet's paper.

Unfortunately, putfile.com automatically reduced the sizes of my pictures and videos. They were originally shot at 6Mpix and 640x480/30fps, respectively.

Can someone tell me where I could upload my samples and see their original size?

I'm planning a comparison with other Xacti's and a pro video camera... stay tuned!

TNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:17 AM   #173

Caelum wrote:

I have XP Home Edition. When I connect with the power on (LCD open), I see a menu titled "USB Connection" with the three modes "Card Reader" "PictBridge" and "PC Camera" as the options. When I was trying to connect to the computer with the LCD open, I tried selecting each of those options and all I would get was a blank screen on the LCD. I had to remove the camera from the dock to get rid of the blank screen. I don't know how you would get any of those modes to actually work, but they seem to be available on the C6. Since I won't actually need to use any of those modes, I won't worry about getting them to work.

Quote:
Glad to hear you got to go to bed with some peace of mind. And thanks for the pointers, what OS are you using? XP? I was looking at the C5 manual and it states that the camera has three USB modes: "Card reader", "PC camera" (webcam) and "Pictbridge" (direct printing). Supposed to be a light indicator that differenciates Pictbridge (red) from the other two (green). I'm wondering if perhaps when you connect to the PC with the power on if it's assuming "PC camera" (webcam) modeand when you connect to the PC with the power off it's assuming "Card reader" mode?
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:18 AM   #174

Panita, you need either the docking station or the little black box adapter to connect the C6 toa PC using a standard USB cable, or to a TV using the propietary supplied AV cables. C5 picture from Steve's review:

[align=center][/align]

[align=left]TNN, thanks! (haven't looked yet) I'll postyour linkin the "C6 and C40 samples" thread. The videos should be full size, you just need to select "View Size" and choose '640' or 'Original'. You can also link to your full size media by adding '/original' to your link.[/align]
gusher1, if you are able to transfer photos and videos to your PC, then it's in "Card Reader" mode.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:21 AM   #175

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, good for you that it worked in the end.:-)

You know what, I just got a Sandisk mp3 player and I found to my surprise that it doesn't even need the battery in it to connect via USB, so in that sense it works like one of those USB jump drives. It sounds like theXacti works like that.

Actually, when you have it docked with the power completely off (and LCD closed), the computer does not recognize the camera. You have to push the little button on the docking station to get the computer to recognize the camera. And pushing that button powers up the camera because the green light on the camera comes on and it talks to you.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:28 AM   #176

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Panita, you need either the docking station or the little black box adapter to connect the C6 toa PC using a standard USB cable, or to a TV using the propietary supplied AV cables.

[align=center][/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]gusher1, if you are able to transfer photos and videos to your PC, then it's in "Card Reader" mode.
[/align]
Thanks, that's good to know. Last night when I was futzing around, I looked for a USB connection on the camera and couldn't find one. I didn't try the "little black box" because the documentation talks about using that to connect to your TV, not to a computer. My little black box does not look exactly like the one pictured, but it does have a USB connector on it, so I assume you can use it to connect to the computer via a USB cable without using the docking station.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:28 AM   #177
TNN

Yes, you can connect directly to a PC. I'm having no problems even with a USB 1.1 laptop using Linux.
Basically you need to:
  • Plug the cable adapter at the base of the camera[/*]
  • Plug the USB cable to the laptop[/*]
  • Flip the screen open and optionally switch on the camera[/*]
  • The display lights up with [CARD READER] preselected[/*]
  • Press on the (SET) button[/*]
  • Wait util the woman hidden inside the camera says "Easy connection mode" (not even my girlfriend says such things, but then, since I'm a newbie with the C6, this is Maid in Japan!)[/*]
  • In Linux I then mount the C6 (oh yes! this is sixy!), copy the files, then unmount the camera.
    [/*]
TNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:33 AM   #178

>>need docking station or little black box (dongle) to connect camera to TV<<

In this day and age, that's pretty weak. Most new cameras will connect directly to tv's and pc's with the supplied USB or AV cables, no? I guess I was thinking that the docking station was merely a charger.

Out of curiosity, can the docking station be used as a camera stand..ie..with the camera operational but not connected to a pc or tv?...a quasi-tripod?
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:57 AM   #179

theranman wrote:

Quote:
>>need docking station or little black box (dongle) to connect camera to TV<<

In this day and age, that's pretty weak. Most new cameras will connect directly to tv's and pc's with the supplied USB or AV cables, no? I guess I was thinking that the docking station was merely a charger.

Out of curiosity, can the docking station be used as a camera stand..ie..with the camera operational but not connected to a pc or tv?...a quasi-tripod?
The need to use the docking station or the dongle appears to be due to the fact there is no USB port on the camera itself. Not a big deal since the "little black box" dongle is not very big at all, but it is one more piece you have to have with you.

Another little irritant, the documentation shows that the AC adaptor has a connection to charge a battery outside the camera. My adaptor does not have this, so the only way I can charge the battery is to use the docking station. Again, not a huge deal, but it means that if you have two batteries, you can't charge the 2nd battery while using the camera.

I don't see any problem with using the docking station as a tripod.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:13 PM   #180

theranman, I'm guessing the docking station and dongle contain additional circuitry that had to be left out of the C6 due to space constaints. Again, I think it's because it's ultra-compact and therefore sacrifices were made. I originally suspected space contraints for input plugs (USB, AV & Power), but now I think that might not be it.

I think the docking station might be able to be used as a "dockpod", however you wouldn't be able to easily tilt the camera? That'sanother problem that was previously mentionned for the C5, the tripod mount can't be used at the same time as the connectors.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote