Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:23 PM   #181

Caelum,

Ok, I can understand having to leave out a connector or two, but to have to offload circuitry, that is just extremely weak.

Not being able to use a tripod while and dongle at the same time kinda sucks as well, but I was merely pondering the notion of being able to use the tv as a monitor, which the camera probably wouldn't be able to do anyway. Not that huge of a deal.

Not being able to charge a second battery outside the camera does suck indeed, though.

Can't wait to read more opinions on the pics.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:38 PM   #182
LC

user=56454]
Quote:
Another little irritant, the documentation shows that the AC adaptor has a connection to charge a battery outside the camera.* My adaptor does not have this, so the only way I can charge the battery is to use the docking station.* Again, not a huge deal, but it means that if you have two batteries, you can't charge the 2nd battery while using the camera.

I don't see any problem with using the docking station as a tripod.
I think the 'canadian' manual refers to the c5 (camera high definition is shown as 5 megapixels) so that's probably the difference.

I got my C6 from plemix as well.
the experience is not very good so far. :sad:

I had ordered the camera on dec 7, with the 1-2 days delivery (58$), together with a LG phone. I got the package yesterday, but the phone was missing! no info anywhere about it, and it wouldn't have fit in the fedex envelope, so it clearly wasn't shipped. I tried to contact them a few time but no reply yet.

on to the camera:
- it is the DMX-C6 for japan, so yes, they lied on their web page.

- box seal was broken

- no warranty or any other original documentation was included

- the package did include a low-quality photocopied manual for 'canadians', that is missing the front cover and i think it is for the C5 from the specs (interestingly, i couldn't find any actual mention of the model on the manual). If anyone have a source of the C6-manual, let us know. I am not sure feature-wise what all the differences are (better low-light, smooth playback, 6MP def in the stills, anything else?)

- i haven't had time to connect it to the computer yet (and another variable, I have a mac), but the CDs are definitively copies, not sanyo originals. I know the C5 was mac-compatible and usually my powerbook just recognizes whatever camera i connect to it (without any software), so i am not too worried. I'll try tonight.

Is there anything useful in the software other than the drives?

in summary, given my experience so far i unfortunately must recommend NOT to use plemix, as they don't seem to be very reliable.
I will update you on this.
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:46 PM   #183

Plemix not reliable? Who would have guessed?!:roll:

Given the tenor of their sales policies, no surprise to me. Sorry to hear that my gut instincts were confirmed this time, and I'm sad to hear about your experience.

Take heart in that you have helped a LOT of people by posting this.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:58 PM   #184

theranman, where'd you get your c6?* You're in the US, correct?
pessoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:02 PM   #185

Hmmm, not good, sorry to hear that LC. For the phone there is no excuse, but for the camera I guess it'ssomewhat expected, those prices are just so low compared to what we get back home, these must bethe reasons.Yup, really sounds like the C5 manual, download the C5 manual to compare, page i says "For American Users", page ii says "For Canadian Users" andif there is a page 185, the model is there, under the power cord rating.Also the watch.impress Japanese C6 review mentionned that Sanyo dropped the battery charger on the power adaptor thatused to come withthe C5 (cost cutting no doubt). Thanks very much for the feedback!
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:08 PM   #186

I can't disagree with you about Plemix. My "Canadian users" manual is definitely photocopied. And many of the pages aren't even in the correct order.

I also agree the software is probably not the orginal Sanyo CD's, and I'm not sure it even includes any drivers. The software seems to consist of 3 programs (in addition to versions of acrobat and quicktime that were older than the ones already on my computer). The 3 programs are:
Ulead Photo Explorer
Ulead DVD Factory
Something called "Motion Detector"

I haven't tried to use any of them yet.

In addition to the "Canadian" users manual, my package included several items printed in Japanese, including what appears to be a warranty card. However, given the box says that the warranty is only good in Japan, I don't think it would do me much good.

The good news is that the camera works, and through trial and error I got it to work with my PC, so assuming nothing breaks within the warranty period, all the other things are not that important. I bought from Plemix knowing I was taking a risk because I wanted the camera in time for a Christmas trip. Since I got it in a timely way and it works, I have no real beef.

If I hadn't been in such a hurry, it would have been better to wait until some more reputable sellers offer the U.S. version. But on the other hand, if you do that, you may have to pay more.

I do like the camera and what it will do for me. My existing digital camera and camcorder both needed to be replaced, and this is a good replacement for both. We rarely take videos with the camcorder because it is a pain to haul around. With this tiny camera, I'm sure we will take way more videos than we used to. Starting with the Christmas trip to Disneyland with my 6-yr old. So while I'm not thrilled with Plemix, I do have what I wanted and it works.
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:13 PM   #187

Pessoa,

Yes, I'm in the US, but I don't own the C6....yet. When I do purchase it, it'll be from a US dealer for sure.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:16 PM   #188

Hi, i'm anewly registered user who has been checking this forum regularly about the Xacti C6.

Luckily for me I have a mate who lives in Japan who is coming back to Scotland this week for Christmas. He bought a black one for me in Tokyo and it cost around £235. For that price i'll take my chances with the warranty. Theonly place i've seen it in the UK has it at £380!!!

Anyhow, its been very useful to read everyones opinions and gain info from here so thanks. Hopefully i'll be able ot reciprocate when I get hold of my camera at some point next week.

One question about the optical stabilistation, does it only apply to video or to both stills and video? There seems to be some confusion regarding this.

As for batteries I managed to find some generic DB-L20's on ebay at a fiver a pop. anyone had any excperience using non-branded Sanyo batteries? If the thing about the charger is true you can pick up a DB-L20 charger pretty cheaply from searching the internet.

michelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:19 PM   #189
LC

yeah, my biggest concern is the phone and the fact that there is basically no feedback.
if i don't hear from them by tonight, I'll have to contact PayPal.
as you said, for this there is no excuse (and given previous comments, here and elsewhere, I could have guessed service/warranty issues, but I would NOT have guessed they wouldn't actually deliver an item)

As far as the camera, i was kinda expecting the dmx, but also i was expecting the box to come sealed.
In any case, they should just advertise it as a dmx, people would buy it anyway, and their reputation would be better off. i would be happy with the whole thing if it wasn't for the phone

For the little time I had to play with it, the camera seems great. really tiny, easy to use and navigate. if anything it's even too small, and it might get tiring to use it for prolonged times. the "night vision" as judged from the lcd on the camera itself, is really good.

Caelum, do you know what extra feature the C6 has over the C5 other than the smooth playback, improved night and 6 MP stills?

edit: gusher, I agree. I also needed for a trip abroad/christmas present (the phone too..) hence the hurry.
It just didn't make much sense to pay more here for the C5.
LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:23 PM   #190

Hi michelob, I hate to repeat myself as I've talked about the stabilisation a few times before but to reiterate and summarize: the C6 has digital image stabilisation and it only works in movie mode. See bottom of page 3 for more details.

Lc, beyond what you mention, as far as I know just the built-in red eye correction and improved noise reduction.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote