Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:21 PM   #221

I did download the videos (the 2 girls with cameras, plus the bar in low-light) and they seemed to playback okay, then again I have a Xeon 3.4 GHz at work. I converted them to AVI because I don't have quicktime here.

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:22 PM   #222

scrambbler, assuming you are talking about the "pole girls" (SANY0039.MP4)and the "bar girl" (SANY0140.MP4)videos, they run smoothly on my PC. MPEG-4 video is quite processor intensive however and you do need a powerful enough computer for it to play smoothly. Have you had any smoothness problems playing any of the other C6 videos (Akihabara, watch.impress, ristraman)? If you are talking about the christmas videos on Xacti Press, they're not good quality but theydid not come directly from the camera, they weregenerated with Apple software, and who knows how they messed them up, so I'm not concerned.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:39 PM   #223

I just got my DMX-C6 today a week after getting the VPC-C5. I also sold the C5 to a friend when I saw that I could get the 6, like another poster.
I ordered mine from eBay and received the same photocopied C5 manual, copied disks and I noticed that the power cables are different, as are the 'little black box adapters'. In fact, when I popped the C6 in the C5 dock it didn't charge. Once I used the C6 dock everything was fine.
I did not know anything about the VPC vs. DMX issue. Is this something to really be concerned about? I have to say that the C6 blows away the 5 in low-light filming. I'd post examples but it looks like that's covered. They do a good job of showing the difference.
I got it mainly as a video cam and figured it was a bonus that I could give away my camera.

raydelapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:48 PM   #224

thanks for the feedback

Yes , I was talking about the "pole Girls" and the "bar Girl" videos. I do run an old PIII 900Mhz, but it plays Divx and Xvid at full DVD resolution fine.It probably means thatthe new Mp4codec they use for the Xacti movies is more demanding, it is the only explanation that make sense. Because most C6 video on the web are streamed I did not notice on the others, but for the one I download, I definitely have the problem.

This means that if I get the C6 I am going to have to invest in a new PC

Oh well..
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 3:48 PM   #225

Saw this on camcorderinfo.com

nopt sure if it was mentioned before

Posted by Richard Baguley

Published on December 08, 2005

Thanks to an inadvertent posting by someone in Sanyo Portugal, the details of their forthcoming High Def flash memory camcorder have been revealed. The Xacti VPC-HD1 records video at a resolution of 1280 by 720, but there's no word on the frame rate. Courtesy of Google translation, the specs are as follows:
• 5,08 million pixels • Sensory CCD of 1/2.5" • OLED 2.2"(210,000 pixels) monitor • Film in High Definition (Max Resolution. Film: 1,280 X 720) • Zoom: 10X You can read the original

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/digit...hd1-141758.php
undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:08 PM   #226

Plemix took another $10 off their C6, now down to $455.

Gee, if a guy could wait a week or so it could come down toa real reasonable price!!

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 4:53 PM   #227

Regarding low light performance, I read a post from a user over on dpreview who said that while the C6's video performance is noticably better in low light than the C5, the low light performance on STILLS is still about the same.
Can anybody verify this?
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:13 PM   #228

I think this was confirmed by Steve in his new thread on the C6.

Can anyone recommend a portable tripod to use with the c6?
michelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:40 PM   #229

If you're referring to his "first impressions" glimpse, all I got from it was;

a) that video snippet looked great.

b) the low light performance on video was much improved.

c) excellent pics

d) same sucky flash

What I'd like to know is what are the lighting limitations for stills, given the short flash range. Can it take small group photos in mediocre/low indoor lighting? Take it to the bars? Is the flash merely good for individual portraits, etc.?

Shall I assume that by excluding the mention of low light stills, this is indicative of something???

I think we need to give him some time for a thorough assessment.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:48 PM   #230

theranman wrote:
Quote:
If you're referring to his "first impressions" glimpse, all I got from it was;

a) that video snip looked fine.

b) the low light performance on video was much improved.

c) same sucky flash

Shall I assume that his not mentioning the low light stills performance is indicative of something???

Is there another thread I'm not aware of?

I thought that the 'same sucky flash' was an indication that the low light performance on stills would be about the same as the c5. My basis for this is that if you are taking stills in low light you tend to use a flash

Then again i'm a total novice so what do I know. I profusely apologise for making assumptions and regret any offence caused. I'll go away now. :sad:

michelob is offline   Reply With Quote