Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 14, 2005, 5:52 PM   #231

I just confirmed with Sanyo that the DMX models are not covered under warranty in the US without an international warranty card.
I hope I never need that warranty!
[img]images/emoticons/shakehead.gif[/img]
raydelapena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:00 PM   #232

michelob wrote:
Quote:
theranman wrote:
Quote:
If you're referring to his "first impressions" glimpse, all I got from it was;

a) that video snip looked fine.

b) the low light performance on video was much improved.

c) same sucky flash

Shall I assume that his not mentioning the low light stills performance is indicative of something???

Is there another thread I'm not aware of?

I thought that the 'same sucky flash' was an indication that the low light performance on stills would be about the same as the c5. My basis for this is that if you are taking stills in low light you tend to use a flash

Then again i'm a total novice so what do I know. I profusely apologise for making assumptions and regret any offence caused. I'll go away now. :sad:

Michelob,

Firstly, I edited my post a little bit.

Secondly, I'm a novice as well, so take heart. I'm chock full of stupid questions.

I could be totally wrong about this, but I kinda figured that given the same flash, the C6 would be able to take slightly better/brighter stills due to its greater light sensitivity/9mp mixture tech etc. Truthfully, I have no idea, but I'd like to be able to take good stills indoors of small groups of people...without having to turn the lights way up.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 6:10 PM   #233

No problem, I find sometimes its difficult being on a forum like this because you assume everyone else in an expert. I was being over-sensitive.

I thought the 9mp technology you refer to was for video only, as with the optical stabilisation,but as with you I have no idea. I base this on looking at the sony site http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...c6/stills.htmlThe 9mp/ low light sensitivitything is mentioned on the movies tab but crucially not under the stills tab.

I'm not going to get my camera until I see my matea week on Friday so I guess i'll find out then. Believe you me i'd love it to be better as i'm a bit concerned about the performance taking stills at night.

Another thing i'm not sure of is if you need the docking station to charge the camera.I saw from c5 that there was a slot for the battery in the ac adaptor itslef so you could charge the battery independently of the camera. I'm off on a big holiday in Feb and I don't want to go to the hassle of lugging the dock around.

michelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:51 PM   #234

Michelob,

Ya know, after re-reading his rave over the improved video in low light, I suspect that you may be right about that not being applicable to the stills. I think he would have mentioned it....
Now it's time to re-read his C5 review about this, but I recall another write-up that said indoor stills in low lighting sucked. Bummer if this is still true about the C6.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:02 PM   #235

Okay, so I received my Red VPC C6 today from Warehouse123.com!

Here is my review after using it for 30 minutes.

First of all, kudos to Warehouse123 for the great packaging. The box looks to be in unopened, newcondition and it was well covered in bubblewrap and packing peanuts. I am posting a picture of the side of the box to show that it is indeed a VPC model, however, it looks to be a European edition because it has an "exr" at the end of the model number. (Note: I blurred out the serial number.)

Secondly, I wanted to let you guys know the first issue out of the box. I ordered a 2gb Adata SD card from E-bay and it looks to be INCOMPATIBLE with the C6. Here is the product that I purchased:

http://cgi.ebay.com/150X-2GB-SECURE-...QQcmdZViewItem

After trying to take a few pictures and video clips, the camera would LOCK UP and it would not write to the card at all. I tried formatting it inside the camera but I was still unsuccessful in getting it to work with the camera. The only thing the formatting did was name the volume of the card to XACTIC6.

Luckily, I had another 512 SD card by ATP which worked perfectly with the C6 and so I started shooting some video inside my dimly lit room with the default settings. Needless to say, the camera performed extremely well in the low light settings, however, the Auto Focus and Auto White Balance did not serve the video quality too well. It was very noisy (expected) and the camera was slow to focus. Image stabilization worked well though.

I changed the white balance to the "Indoors" preset and then the video looked more natural and less warm (orange). However, here is the second issue I noticed with the camera. With the "Indoors" white balance preset on, while the video looked great,still images in my room turned out TOO blue! This is quite odd, and while I must admit I haven't even cracked open the manual, how is it that the auto white balancefor still images is so different from the video settings??? If I change it back to Auto White Balance then the still images look fine, but this is quite a hassle, especially since I had the correct preset on in the first place. As for the slow focus, I changed the settings from Standard to Total Range and the auto focus responded a lot faster.

While I love the camera's design aesthetically, I experienced a thumb cramp from trying to tweak the settings of the camera. I'm hoping that it won't happen too often!

As for the still images, yes, the flash is weak, but I found that on my Canon S400 that the flash was way too bright and often bleached out faces at parties and events. If taken at a close distance, I think it'll work out great for group night shots. Another thing to take note is that the lens length for taking stills is dramatically wider than what you see on the LCD screen - something you have to take into consideration when composing shots.

These are my first impressions so far. After this weekend, I'll be able to give a better assessment of my early adoption. Hope this helps! Feel free to ask questions.
Attached Images

FIlmchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:08 PM   #236

Hi,
Thanks for your review. You stated that it seemed like a european edition... does it still record in 640x480 and putput NTSC when you hook it up to a tv? I hope it's not PAL.
Thanks,
Bob C
bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:12 PM   #237

Thanks for the great feedback from the ones who have the camera, it's fun to read!

theranman & michelob, re: improved low-light, what is improved in the C6 is the "9 mixed pixels" technology, therefore it's using the input from 9 pixels (3x3)to determine the value of one pixel in video. In full resolution stills, this won't work of course since every pixel is on it's own. However, as I understand it the C6 has a "Lamp" stills mode, where it will do the mixed pixels trick to capture low-light, however it produces VGA res. photos only, not full res.. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:01 AM   #238
Administrator

theranman wrote:
Quote:
Regarding low light performance, I read a post from a user over on dpreview who said that while the C6's video performance is noticably better in low light than the C5, the low light performance on STILLS is still about the same.
Can anybody verify this?

The only improvements over the C5 are all in the video mode as its ISO sensitivity was increased up to 3600 and the pixel mixing smooths things out. The still mode is identical to the C5 with the same ISO 400 max. and therefore the same crappy short flash range...
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:11 AM   #239

Stills performance same as C5? Oh, how nice to hear.

From what I've read about the C5, indoor pics were its worst characteristic.
Well, I guess we can see where Sanyo's priorities are.
To the videophiles among us, rejoice! To the photographers, bummer...or should I say "lighten up"?

THANKS again for your informed opinion, Steve.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:54 AM   #240

To answerBobbyc03's question, the camera that I received allows you to change from PAL to NTSC. Hope this helps!
FIlmchick is offline   Reply With Quote