Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:40 PM   #51

Hi,

I have asked to borrow-back my "old" C5 from the person who bought it from me and will shoot some comparison video this weekend under the same conditions. I will also take a couple of stills and post them as well some comparisons as to other differences noted (like shooting speed / red-eye correction / low light still photos...)

ristraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 1:09 PM   #52

Wow, that sounds great ristraman! We'll be looking forward to yourreport (and samples?).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:51 PM   #53

Since I'm sure that everybody noticed the Sanyo USA C6 announcement today (main news page), is it my imagination or did Sanyo knock $100 off the anticipated price of $699? Sanyo now says $599, which is way cool. I'm guessing the street price will be in the $500 range.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 5:27 PM   #54

Isn't the C6 available in Japan for somewhere around $400? Online you can get a Japanese version on ebay for $500. Of course I realize that it won't be supported by US Sanyo dealers but I'm curious why it's so much more expensive here.
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 6:21 PM   #55

In order to avoid potential warranty issues, I'd rather buy it here in the US..or at least with the VPC moniker instead of the DMX.

And now that the MSRP is $599, it's street price will now be in the same ballpark as the Japanese. Don't forget, it does cost more to import to the US.

Stilllll looking forward to a couple of full reviews before a final purchase decision.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:39 PM   #56

Yes, as theranman says, the initial C6suggested retail price in Japan was 75,600¥ (~$635), so a suggested retail price of $599 in the US is actually competitive. Street prices can hit as low as 30% less, ifsome get volume discounts.

BTW, as per the press release: Sanyo North America's media camera site. They have an "interactive demo" (i.e.macromediaFlash sales pitch) there.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:38 AM   #57

So, according to the sample video Akihara News showed, I could buy the C6 in Japan for cheaper and still use it using the english menu?
Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 6:17 AM   #58

Guys, can you please comment on the low light performance. I am very much interested to buy this camera for Christmas, however low light performance is critical to me. Somehow all these initial reviews miss the low ligh impressions... Thanks a lot!

Minda
mindawgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:15 PM   #59

Has anybody been able to discern whether or not the digital image stabilization works for still photos? The press seems to suggest that it only works for motion video, but I may be reading incorrectly.

Also, what are the major qualitative differences between digital and optical stabilization? Is optical significantly better as some folks suggest? I know that with the C5, the image is slightly smaller (has a border).

thanks
Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:14 PM   #60

Naruto, yes of course, the only thing is that you might not get an english printed manual but most reselers will include an EnglishPDF user manual and besides you should be able to download one soon.

theranman, yes optical stabilization is much better than digital (however not all optical stabilizations are created equal either). Digitalcropstheoutmost areaof the sensorto do it's trick, sofewer of the sensor's pixelscontribute tothe image,optical continues to utilize the full sensor.The C6 will only use digital stabilizationwith movies because it's a trick and doesn't actually reduce shaking of the incoming image to the sensor. Digital image stabilization canalternatively be done in post-processing with (some) movie editing software. Sanyo's DSC site illustrates digital image stabilization quite well actually. (I don't know if you can see the flashanimation there)