Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 3, 2005, 1:47 PM   #61

can anyone suggest a website where i can buy the xacti c6? thanx.
snuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:21 PM   #62

www.plemix.com just listed the Sanyo VPC-C6 which would suggest it is the official US model, for $499.

I would still check with them if these are indeed covered in the US, as they also recently listed the DMX-C6 on Ebay which was not (Japan warranty)

http://plemix.com/Merchant2/merchant...egory_Code=SAN

They only have it in gold for now

scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 3:57 PM   #63

By the way, as I was planning to buy a C6, I just came across the New Toshiba Gigashot V10.5 Megapixel, 4Gb hard drive plus SD card, Mpeg2 recording...

Now I am confused again

I can't find video samples or review yet. Let me know if anyone has more info on this intersting looking alternative.

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl...ie/index_j.htm

Did found a site with some samples (use translation)

http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?hl=en&u=http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/docs/20050928/toshiba6.htm

Old Dec 3, 2005, 4:54 PM   #64

scrambler, if you are considering MPEG-2 cameras, then there is also the 3CCD Panasonic SDR-S100. I guesssince you are considering a hard drive camera, there is theJVC Everio line, there are also a number of small DVD-R camcorders that record in MPEG-2 as well. More and more MiniDV(not MPEG) camcorders are getting more and more megapixels for stills as well. Just trying to give you more options.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:05 PM   #65

I agree although so far the Mpeg2 units donot have high res still, are bulky, do not have such good quality, and are expensive

This V10 has the high res still (seem less processed that the C6), the small form factor (slightly smaller than the C6 but slightly thicker) and is priced comparably to the C6.

I did find another site with more samples, and it looks like the video quality may suffer from the same problem as other Mpeg2 hard disk camcorder. On fast motion, you start seeing blocks of pixel. This is something that does not seem to happen with the C6, probably because the Mpeg4 bitrate is significantly lower.

http://translate.google.com/translat...zooma226%2Ehtm
Old Dec 3, 2005, 5:35 PM   #66

I'm also considering to buy the C6. However, I keep hearing things like Sanyo doesn't have good lens...blablabla especially compared to Sony's CarlZeiss'. How would you guys rate the lens (for the ppl who used the C5) and how durable was the C5?

The Toshiba V10 is also pretty appealing "price-wise" because you wouldn't really need to buy memory (not much). Is there a review of the V10?. Tried googling but didn't find much
Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:28 PM   #67

I find it both funny and disturbingto see,over and over, high tech. anddigicam web sitesstate things like: "MPEG-2 is better quality than MPEG-4". I guess this is because the MPEG-4video qualityfrom early digicams andmobile phones weren't so hot, and generally utilized very low bit rates. People with high-resolution MPEG-4(Divx, Xvid, 3ivx,etc.)and MPEG-2 experience on a PC know better.

I find that the GigashotV10 consumes 6.5Mbps on MPEG-2 with AC3 soundand blurs and pixelates (blocks)during movementyet the Xacti C6 consumes 3Mbps on MPEG-4 with AAC sound,has more pixel detail in the video and without blurring or pixelation during movement.Prettygoodfor half the file size.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 11:15 AM   #68

I checked ebay this morning and there is about a$160-$180 difference between the C5 and C6. For those that have had experience with either camera, is it worth paying the extra for the C6?

My concern is the low light level video quality of the C5. I read that people complain about this with the C5 but how bad is bad? Can I expect acceptable indooer video with normal overhead home lighting? Or the kids school plays, etc? For those that already have a C6, what is your opinion of the low light level video performance.

THe only improvements I have been able to see between the C5 and C6 is the red eye reduction and improved lowel level video performance.
caspermi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 12:24 PM   #69

I believe a paucity of user reviews to be the problem. We still must wait for MUCH more feedback.

I'll be curious to hear feedback about the digital image stabilization and whether it's of real benefit. The Sony T9 is still in the running for me due to its optical stabilization. Cameras with optical stabilization always show a "before and after picture" with remarkable difference. Always much more clear and sharp with the optical stabilization on. I'm sure that this will be the next major function they add to the C7. :lol:
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2005, 2:23 PM   #70

well i just took the plunge and ordered the c6 from purelygadget in the uk.It cost me 380 quid plus 8quid p and p.I also got a 1 gig sd from ebuyer because i dont think it comes with any.I couldnt wait for more reviews of it.So at least i get a 6m pixel camera and half decent video.I just wanted a new gadget to play with.Also its my christmas present to myself so dont anybody on this forum tell me what i got myself:blah:.It should come back end of the week so i will let you know what its like.
motty is offline   Reply With Quote