Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:08 PM   #21

now that you mention HD ... somehow I thought by now all of them have 16:9 .. a friend who moved from Japan has one that can do widescreen ... and it seems to be the Sanyo Xacti HD1 ... thanks for making me aware of that .. guess I am passing on that 199EU offer and wait for a widescreen cam to come down in price (plus, I will be in Japan in 3 weeks
caipirina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:16 AM   #22

Hi all,

Just seen the C40 on pixmania for £129.99 seems pretty good value to me
gateshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 2:53 PM   #23

I too like like this camera. I can't see too much of a difference between it and C6. I had a C6 for a short while but it had bad pixels so I returned it. I've had a C40 for two days now and noticed a bad pixel as well. I purchased it at RadioShack so I suppose I can return it without hassel. It just bothers me that this brand has bad pixel issues. I also have a Kodak and a high end Minolta cameras and they never developed bad pixels. My Minolta is close to 4 years old now.

I guess I'm discouraged. I can't be okay with paying $200 for a camera with a bad pixel. I'm replacing my MiniDV which is 5 years old and has a bad pixel- dead center.

I may try the Sanyo one more time but I think I'm just going to perform the test at the store before taking it home.

b
blegate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 6:01 PM   #24

Yeah it is annoying but don't be discouraged. I remember when I purchased my Minolta Dimage F300, they also seemed to be having trouble with bad pixels. I went through at least 2 cameras from amazon.com before getting a good one!

My little Minolta has been a great little camera. Sometimes unfortunately it seems as though we are the ones getting all the bad cameras!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2006, 7:47 PM   #25

I returned my first C40 to Radio Shack for a hot pixel in movies that was visible in all lighting conditions. It was even visible on the LCD. I did not test stills. I had to take the "demo" camera, but they let me just change it.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:41 PM   #26

Hi - Well I returned it to the shack. They tried to get me to take the demo but instead I asked them to a picture using the demo with the cap on. They thought I was crazy. I went back to the office and looked and sure enough it had bright spot as well-different area.

So on the way home I decided to get another (different store) and this one is actually okay. I've been messing with the videos and comparing it to the old C6 I had. The C6 seems brighter in low light but not by much. I've noticed the indoor video has a yellow tint while the C6 footage is more normal (I shot idential scenes). I'll play with the settings to see if this makes a diff. BTW, I had the photo ISO set to 400.

I sure like the form factor. I also like that I can return it to a local shop if I dislike it.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:01 AM   #27

Yeah, I find that the C40 colors are sometimes too warm with the auto WB settings in low light, so I'll use the manual setting. This probably just reflects the way that they work white balance on this camera; they are not allowing a lot of red adjustment. This is good and bad. It is good if you take pictures of sunsets, then they will be full color and not washed out. Cameras that have more low light red WB adjustment have to have a special "sunset" mode that you have to use for sunsets so that they don't turn out all neutral colored. If the C6 allows more auto WB adjustment then you probably have to use one of the fixed WB like daylight for sunsets. Each manufacturer has to decide how far to let the WB go in each direction and it is always a trade off; you would not like to take a picture of something red and have it turn out white, for example so there have to be limits. The auto WB is always a comporomise, fortunately they give you the incandescent and manual settings.

Hot pixels do seem to be a problem with these cameras, Sanyo better get on the ball about it or they will get a lot of returns for no apparent reason. The C40 at least has a noise reduction mode, I assume that it takes a dark frame on longer exposures and subtracts it, but I have not experimented to see exactly what it does.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:53 PM   #28

You know I've created so many clips and converted them to DVD and this isn't that bad at all. It's not a 3CCD camera but then I don't have a grand to spend either. In my opinion the video is acceptable as long as you follow the necessary steps to convert from Mp4 to DVD.

b