Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:21 PM   #1

I currently have the Canon S400 for photos and I used to own the Sanyo C1 (but I returned it due to the really bad low light performance). I've been waiting for a compact video recorder that does well indoors and Ifinallythink the C6 is my solution.

I was originallyplanning on upgrading my Canon S400 to the Canon SD450 due to the better picture quality, extra mega-pixel and larger LCD screen. However, after seeing some video samples of the C6, I'm wondering if I should just purchase that for both video and images for my trip to New York this New Year's Eve. The only thing is, I am wondering how comparable the image quality is between the Canon SD450 and the Sanyo C6. Bottomline: I am wondering if I'll be able to kill 2 birds with one stone by shelling out few hundred more for the C6.

Another thing...have you guys seen the video quality of the Canon SD450? It looks amazing!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/sd450.html

Then again, I'm not sure how the Canon would perform shooting viceo in low light. I'd like everyone's opinion on this matter as I plan to make the purchase before Christmas. The Canon's video is not very compressed so the video files end up being bigger and shooting video with a little square case instead of a handheld gun structure might be a little weird.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
FIlmchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:41 AM   #2

If I was absolutely forced to make a purchase today, I would undoubtedly purchase the SD450...a great, well-developed, all-around nice little camera.

Thankfully, I'm not forced to purchase today and have narrowed my decision down to the C6 or Sony DSC-T9. DCresource.com's final review of the T9 will be released this Friday, and I'm sure that steves-digicams and dpreview will follow soon thereafter.
The only thing I'm a little spooked about is that one of the above review sites responded to an email of mine by suggesting that the Sanyo is a piece of junk. When I asked about actual past experience, they never responded back. Thus, I'll take their opinion with a grain of salt. Sure hope there's a full review of the C6 by one of the above sites, though.

To be honest, I find both the C6 and Sony T9 to be quite exciting improvements over previous models...if the hype holds up. Sure wish the C6 had optical stabilization, though. Guess we'll have to wait for the C7 for that.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:08 AM   #3

Hi Filmchick, yes the SD450 hasgreat video, so do manyof the other Canons. But they record video in Motion JPEG with PCM mono sound. Motion JPEG is a little like a rapid series of JPEG photos. While this provides good image quality it limits the recording capacity, typically you will only get about 7 minutes of total movie footage on a 1GB card. If you just want quick snippets here and there, it's great, but if you want it todouble as a videocamera, then it won't cut it unless you can find a bunch of 2GB SD cards cheap.

I think it all depends on what your priorities are. If I were looking for the best still photopocket camera, the C6, while is doesquite well,might not be it. The C6 mightnot even have the best video quality either. However what the C6 does boast over the othersat this time,is what appears to be the best ratio of qualityvs file size. It utilizes high qualityyet high compression MPEG-4 ASP video with AAC (better than mp3) stereo audio. This means that you can record at least 45 minutes of highest quality video with stereo audio on a1GB card.In the next year or twoI expect other cameras to at least catch up, but for the moment I haven't found one that matches the C6 in quality vs. file size for video.

theranman is interested in the Sony T9, which boasts an optical image stabilizer. It sounds like a great stills camera, better in many ways than the C6, but again, it records video in MPEG VX, which is the old MPEG-1along withmono audio. MPEG-1has limited compressionandis blocky, Sony cannot overcome this while using this standard. The qualityvs. file sizes produced by it's movie modecannot compete with the C6 simply due to the codecs utilized. So if my priority was stills, the T9should beat the C6, but if my prioritywas movies again, then theT9 wouldn't cut it for me.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:08 PM   #4

Doesn't compromise SUCK?!!!

Caelum, out of curiosity, might you be able to elucidate a little further as to why the T9 stills will probably be better than the C6's? I can't download full file pics to view on this piece o' crap webtv (getting pc soon), but from the few smaller sample pics I've seen, the C6 photos do seem a little soft...but I'm not sure. Thanks

Btw, my use would probably be at least 75% pics and 25% short video clips. Man, I hate the thought of giving up that 5x zoom.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:07 PM   #5

filmgirl,

I am/was in the same boat as yourself except that I was looking for a Canon S2 instead of the 450. I wasn't too concerned with file size until I tried to import a 1 gig file into imovie and it took way too long. I am waiting the C6 to be released in America and I truly feel that it is the best compromise if you are video first, still picture second.
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 1:24 PM   #6

Thanks for all of your opinions!

I will most likely be taking more still pictures than video, so I think to be safe I will opt to buy the Canon SD450 for my trip to New York this New Year's Eve. The only time I really shoot video is for documentary production and I use my Canon GL1 or Sony HDV camerafor that. Truthfully, I really like the C6 for it's"I-can-shoot-this-if-I-need-to-because-the-camera-fits-in-my-pocket"factor. Plus, I'm thinking it might be fun to shoot mini movies or music videos entirely on the C6, but I guess I can wait for the US version in February.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:08 PM   #7

It's interesting to re-read people's opinions after knowing what their priorities are.

Believe it or not, I'm middle aged and have never owned a camera in my life. The reason I started my search was because I felt that in order to become more active on Ebay, I NEED a camera. Obviously, I'm no big techie.

Well, after doing some studying up on digital cameras, I became intrigued by the possibility of having a video camcorder and "good" point & shooter in one! But I wanted it in a small pocketable size.

Now I find myself teased by stuff like big zoom, optical stabilization, long video, etc. etc. I've now come to realize that it can't all exist in one tiny package without some compromise. The T9 design and features look totally cool to me, but the short short video is really an Achilles heel. The C6 looks like it "may" be able to take decent snapshots, but there's no optical image stabilization, and the first still pics I've seen are a little fuzzy.

And to make things more complicated, I think I'm really gonna be in love with the next generation of the Canon S2 IS...which won't exist for at least another 6 months.

Sooo, it's gonna be 2 cameras for me. Either the C6 or T9 for now, and the Canon down the road. Now if that S2 were pocketable....

Looking forward to reading the dcresource.com final review of the T9 tomorrow.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:37 PM   #8

theranman, I can't really confirm that the T9 does better stills based on the few full size samples I've come across, it's just an assumption I'm making based on the fact that the optical image stabilizer should help with low light stills. We'll need a professional evaluation I guess. If I look at the full resolution samples from both cameras on my PC they look really crisp and sharp... basically they both exceed my expectations for a stills digicam for my own personal use. I'm not a professional, I just want good pictures. I don't think Ineed the 6Mp in the C6; most good quality digicams of 3.2Mp and up would probably satisfy my stills needs and I rarely bother to edit my photos. On the movie front, however, digicamshave not yet metmy expectations. Having established that, if stills exceed my needs then movie quality and convenience becomesmy main concern.

[align=center]Since you can't see full res. photos, consider this 6Mp cloudy day review photofrom the C6, reduced to thumbnail size:
[/align]
[align=center]At screen pixel size the photohas thisresolution detail(keep in mind this has been cropped and re-compressed with JPEG, so there has been loss of quality):
[/align]
In terms of detail, that beats the pants off any camera I've ever owned and they've met my needs so far. Let's face it, manydigicams now take great stills. All I'mwaiting for now is great video.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:51 PM   #9

Caelum, I think our philosophies are pretty much aligned. As you may or may not have surmised, I'm watching these pics on a TV(webtv), so I'm not seeing anything remotely close to full resolution. I will take your word that both cameras produce sharp pics. The further away pic of that girl still looks a little soft to me, while that dcresource pic using the T9 w/stabilization (the pic of a bunch of cameras) looked crystal sharp on my TV. Bottom line: I'm in no way equipped to offer critical evaluation. That's why I'm taking people's words for it. I suspect that 4 x 6's of either cam will be just fine, but if the optical stabilization of the T9 presents a distinctly better pic, I'll probably lean towards that.
But 12 minutes is a joke for video...phhhht!
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:09 AM   #10

I just wanted to let you guys know that I changed my mind...the gadget lover in me started looking back at my old Sanyo C1 videos and realized how fun it was for me to shoot anything and everything. And the quality for the C1 wasn't too shabby! In fact, it was a lot better than I remembered it, and if the C6 is even better, then I'll have even MORE fun shooting videos.

I think that while it's a great, compact device for capturing memories, people forget to mention that it's really FUN using the camera as well. I ordered the red one from Warehouse123.com. I emailed them and they said that they had 13 red cameras in stock. They seem to be pretty fast with their responses.