Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:50 AM   #1

As the proud new owner of a C5, I was quite displeased to discover no SD card included. (even though the box indicated "SD Memory Card made in Japan")

I had a few SD cards laying around after upgrades to my Axim memory storage, but they weren't high speed.

I think the picture/video takes too long to write to memory.

I was wondering what experience others had with different SD cards (standard versus high speed) and any recommendations.

On a positive note: This is one unbelievable digicam, feature and size-wise.

Thanks.
sixt7gt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:29 PM   #2

Hi sixt7gt350, I don't have a C5 so I have no experience to share with you, but since thehigh qualitymovie bit rate is just over 3Mbps and 1x isconsidered 150KBps,in theory your SD needs to be at least 3x.I'm notcertain butmost"normal" SDcardsshould exceed this. I've seenstandard Sandisk SDs ratedas 20x (x150KBps = 3MBps = 24Mbps). If your SD was too slow you wouldn't be able to record in highest quality movie without problems. You say video takes too long to write to memory, but it has to happen in real-time since the C5 wouldn't be able to buffer minutes of video. Do you mean the turnaround time, after you finish shooting a video segment? Remember that for high quality photos the camera needs to take the raw 5Mp (xRGB=15MB) sensor image and compress it to JPEG to save it, so that takes a little processing time regardless of the SD speed.

Did you read Steve'sDigicam's review conclusionof the C5? He mentions thatit's a good performerand he had a shot to shot delay of 2 seconds with a 60x, are you experiencing a slower turnaround?
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 3:07 PM   #3

I found a site that compared SD cards, including the Sandisk Ultra II and plain old blue Sandisk cards.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-6894

Believe it or not, the plain old blue card was slightly faster on reading. (both a hair under 8MB/s for read speed) Where the Ultra took the edge was in write speed, where it maintained near the same value, but the blue card dropped to under 3MB/s.

I bought the 1GB in the plain old blue flavor at Staples for $50, after easyrebate, and it worked fine. (I recorded a few mini movies at high bitrate to be sure.) They were offering the 512MB Ultra II for $40 AR.

Considering I plan to record most movies at the 2Mb/s (HQ) rate, you're right, I'll be just fine.

2 seconds is a good estimate of the turn-around time. I wasn't as worried about pictures as I was video cutting frames and/or pixellating. Believe it or not, I bought this primarily as a tapeless camcorder. I've hada Casio QV-4000 for a few years. I love it, but it's a bit big to toss in my wife's purse, especially with the filter adaptor on it. The Sanyo will allow us to retire a VHS-C Panasonic camcorder and also have a pocketable point-and-shoot digicam. We always had to think about whether or not we wanted to lug the Casio and its bag on short trips. It often lost out to a disposable 35mm. Now,we won't have to make such a decision. Looking back, the funniest part about the Casio was buying it witha 340MB Microdrive, which was HUGE for CF storage at the time. (The Microdrive now rests peacefully in the desk drawer, its appetite for batteries and eclipsed capacity making it a dinosaur. Of course, 2500mAh Energizers do an excellent job of holding their ground, but why would I wage that battle with higher capacity CF cards so cheap now?)

The only real downside I see to this Sanyo is batteries. Being able to buy the best AA rechargeables was a good thing for battery life. If out in the middle of nowhere and not able to recharge batteries, we always could toss in AA alkalines for a short time. Being stuck with proprietary Li-ion feels like such a step backwards and will force us to make an additional purchase for backups, as well as plan our charging strategy.
sixt7gt350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:52 PM   #4

Thanks six, good point about the proprietary batteries, that is something that I've tried to avoid so far as well, not too happy about that. I'm perfectly happy with NiMH rechargeables. But Iguess it's the price we must pay for an ultra-compact, as I mentioned previously Sanyo's battery is almost half the width of a AAA!

Ah yes the microdrive... I remember thinking of buying one for my digicam when IBM first announced them, I just waited for the price to come down... glad I waited now, I never finally got one.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 2:18 PM   #5

caelum, you are always holding out for something better... ahahah
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 4:14 PM   #6

:?! :lol: And I can't help feel digicams' movie mode isat the pointwhere digicams' stills were when theyfirst hit 1Mp, it's just beginning to be useful and have an acceptable quality. They'll only get better and cheaper, right? :? My wife made an observation about all this gadget gazzing without purchasing: "it's like masturbation without release". :lol:
Old Dec 13, 2005, 7:46 PM   #7

sixt7gt350 wrote:
Quote:
As the proud new owner of a C5, I was quite displeased to discover no SD card included. (even though the box indicated "SD Memory Card made in Japan")

I had a few SD cards laying around after upgrades to my Axim memory storage, but they weren't high speed.

I think the picture/video takes too long to write to memory.

I was wondering what experience others had with different SD cards (standard versus high speed) and any recommendations.

On the subject of speeds of photos/video, I use a 133x Corsair SD card (cheapest 2GB card I could find on Newegg) and it works just great, I've never had an issue recording video (at the highest quality level) or photos (also at the highest quality level).

I had also used (prior to my Corsair arriving) my 1GB PNY SD (no idea what speed, not listed, I would guess 60x) which seemed to work just fine too, although it was a while back that i tried it.
Arla is offline   Reply With Quote