Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:53 PM   #21

As a new member to this discussion and a 2 week owner of the (import version) of the vpc c6, would anyone happen to know if the faster sd cards (ultra 2 or other) would give faster performance on the vpc hd1 or vpc c6? While the quality of the stills and video is OK for my home family use, I like to know is anyone has figured out how to reduce the multisecond video drop out as a still is being acquired?
Familyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:56 AM   #22

Familyguy, faster SD cards will notreally improve the performance of the camera, it's primarily when you transfer to your PC that you will see a difference, however people appear to have hadproblemsusing the fastest SD cards, see the thread near the top of the Sanyo forum. And the only way to reduce the pause in video when taking a photo is to reducethe photo resolution.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:44 AM   #23

can someone be kind enough to cofirm whether the HD1 has a memory capacity limitation like the C5 (1gb) and C6 (2gb)?
NotoriousBGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 3:18 AM   #24

I have a HDTV and just purchased a Cannon S2 IS (My daughter killed my Sony P93). Love the pictures and the video but the thing is a bit big. I find I do not carry it with me as much as I did with the P93. Also, of course, even with a 4GB SD card I still only have 23-40 min of video (30 or 15 FPS). Though, even the 15 FPS is much better than the Sony VX Video on the P93 IMO. So, was thinking about this Sanyo HD1 for longer video and quality issues.

One of the changes from the P93 to the S2 is that it is a little harder for me to mess with the video. With sonys MPG it is very easy to use TMPEGENC to re-encode the video with higher gain to make up for low light situations indoors (yes it does get grainer but at least you can SEE the subjects). Canon saves in AVI so I have to convert to mpg 1st using VideoDub before I can edit with TMpegEnc (I think have not tried yet). So I am wondering how I would edit HD video on the PC.

Lastly, does anyone have any thoughts on how you would actually save/burn the HD video? I think you could convert to DVD format and burn to DVD. I guess you would loose quality as DVD its not true HD (though much better than 640x480) There is only so much room on my HDD :lol:
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:28 AM   #25

There are several DVD Player in the market with Sigma Design EM8621 (such as buffalo, Iodata) which is able to play Sanyo HD1 file directly from Recordable DVD.

All you need to do is burning Sanyo HD1 file into recordable DVD without any conversion. I have downloaded original MP4 clip of HD1 and playback flawlessly at 1080i resolution from my Tvix HD M5000 with sound.

The picture quality is excellent and blow away any pre-recorded 640 x 480 mpeg2 DVD that I have seen.

wswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:53 AM   #26

That is always a nice option. I had a panasonic DVD player that played DIVX pretty well. Thought, I think more DVD players may support DIVX in the future. (MP4 = DIVX right? ) I was really hoping for a solution with a little more widespread support. I would like to be able to take the videos over to a friends/familys house with some confidence that it would play on their player.

So, will the players you mentioned play MP4 video at better resolution than native DVD?
TIA

wswong wrote:
Quote:
There are several DVD Player in the market with Sigma Design EM8621 (such as buffalo, Iodata) which is able to play Sanyo HD1 file directly from Recordable DVD.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 5:58 AM   #27

Hi Hotoru,

I don't think Panasonic DVD player could play HD1 MP4 Clip natively since it's not using EM8621 chipset. HD1 MP4 should be Mpeg4 rather than Divx/Xvid.

Most Divx DVD Player would able to play SD resolution of Divx/Xvid but not 720p/1080i resolution.
wswong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:48 PM   #28

Nice player wswong.
Tvix HD M5000
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro.../tvixM5000.asp

But, then you are still stuck with your media on HDD. That seems like a severe handicap of the Xacti cameras. Mpeg4 seems to be pretty dificult to edit
http://www.videoforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4802

Quicktime Pro will do simple cut and pastes. But, with the low light problems of the Xacti cameras would be nice if I could increase the gain and reencode (like I did with TMpegEnC and my Sony VX files from my P-93 Camera).

Even if you burn to DVD you need a specialized player (or a computer) to play the files. With the HD Xacti if you convert to native DVD you lose resolution and might as well have the C5- C6. hmm... Where is my codec deus ex machina? (sorry.. google word of the day :?)

wswong wrote:
Quote:
Hi Hotoru,

I don't think Panasonic DVD player could play HD1 MP4 Clip natively since it's not using EM8621 chipset. HD1 MP4 should be Mpeg4 rather than Divx/Xvid.

Most Divx DVD Player would able to play SD resolution of Divx/Xvid but not 720p/1080i resolution.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:20 AM   #29

don't know about you, but would have been nice if they:

- have an HD1version that uses firewire to connect to pc/imac.

- using 3CCD

- no SD limitation

just wishful thinking i guess
NotoriousBGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:17 AM   #30

Hotoru:

You can use this freeware MP4CAM2AVI to change MP4 to AVI (DIVX/ XVID).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi

This program only change the "container" format of the MP4 to DIVX/XVID, without changing the actual video data.

Once you have DIVX or XVID codecs installed, you can now use TPMGEnc (or most other video editors) to do the editing. I have also used TPMGEnc for a long time, so I know it works with DIVX/ XVID. It is an excellent program.

I don't think TPMGEnc supports the AAC audio codec of the Sanyo, so in MP4CAM2AVI, you should transcode the audio into PCM (aka. WAV or "uncompressed") or MP3. The former ensures no loss of original sound quality, but produces a much bigger file. Changing the video container format and transcoding the audio only takes a few (< 5) minutes.

If you need further information, please read my reply in another thread on the same topic:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=27&page=1

(middle of the thread)

NotoriousBGC:

You don't really need fireware to transfer video files from the Sanyo (or any other digital media camcorders like Samsung Sprotscam, Mustek etc.) to the computer (I won't say "PC" to offend Mac users!!) - they all come with USB 2 which is just as fine.

Firewire is a form of high speed data transfer developed before fast USB 2, and marketed as a "specialized" method of transferring video data (because at that time, the greatest "need for speed" came from digital video editing). Otherwise, fundamentally it is a form of data transfer like USB - there are firewire external drives/ drive enclosures etc. just like USB devices, you just don't see them often because people are not aware of them and they only think "firewire = digital video".

True there are specific functions, such as <play> <FF>, that firewire allows DV camcorder users to control from their computers. However, with digital media video recording, you don't need to babysit through the whole miniDV tape when it is transferred to the computer: the video is already in a computer file digital format, which can be transferred like any other computer files through USB.

Firewire also has originally another advantage over USB, that allows peer-to-peer connection (eg. camcorder to camcorder) without going through a host computer. However, nowadays we also have OTG ("on-the-go") USB protocols, like those used in portable digital storage devices, that can hook up USB devices without a host computer.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote