Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 10, 2006, 6:24 PM   #31

Thx for the info blindsight. I have a similar problem with my Canon S2 as TMpegEnc will not recognize its AVI files. So, I was looking at AVI2MPEG to convert. You always hope to simplify the steps you need. As you said, It doesnt take that long to convert but even 2 min a file x 10 video clips = 20min. Just one extra step. Maybe you can set them up as a batch as you can with TMpegEnc :?

Hotoru

UPDATE
: See here for my solution http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15
or here
blindsight wrote: [/b]
Quote:
Hotoru:

You can use this freeware MP4CAM2AVI to change MP4 to AVI (DIVX/ XVID).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi

This program only change the "container" format of the MP4 to DIVX/XVID, without changing the actual video data.
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:47 PM   #32

Hotoru:

Your Canon video problem cannot be solved with MP4CAM2AVI <-- WRONG

Most digital still cameras with "video mode" either make AVI videos (with motion-JPEG or M-JPEG codec), or MOV (QuickTime) videos. Your Canon makes AVI which requires M-JPEG codec.

MP4CAM2AVI only works with MP4 files <-- WRONG AGAIN!!

I don't have a Canon but I suspect the video editing software that came with the camera must have something compatible with the video: even if you don't use the software, just installing the software will also install the necessary codecs for the video files of the camera.

If this does not work, you have to install M-JPEG codec separately.

Two popular M-JPEG codecs are Morgan and Pegasus (PIC), but they are not freewares.

There are also "codec packs" (huge collections of different video and audio codecs, usually too many for you ever to use). I found this ACE codec pack that contains M-JPEG codecs:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...oDecS_Pack.htm

After installing either the video editing software bundled with the camera or the M-JPEG codec, your TMPGEnc should be able to recognize the video made by your Canon.

- FYI -

Codec = COmpressor-DECompressor, computer codes to translate various formats of video data into visible images.

There is a lot of confusion about various terms - "MPEG-4" is an umbrella (or general) term that describes the most modern digital media format, which includes various video and audio components and formats. Therefore, "MPEG-4" is NOT a codec itself.

Amongst the "MPEG-4" family of video codecs, there are proprietary (paid) ones like Apple QuickTime (MOV and MP4 file extensions), Windows Media (WMV), DIVX (AVI extension usually) etc., and open-source (non-commercial and free) formats, such as XVID, X.264 (a form of H.264 codec, many of which are commercial). Apart from Apple (MOV, MP4) and Windows Media (WMV, ASF), many other MPEG-4 video codecs do not require specific file extension for designation - they are usually designated with AVI file extension but in fact the "old-school" windows video extensions like MPG, MPEG, will work, as long as the codec has been installed. It is this difference between "video file extension" and "video codec" that causes so much confusion amongst amateurs.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 8:51 PM   #33

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
[...]MP4CAM2AVI only works with MP4 files.[...]
Actually"MJPEG *.MOV's from photo cameras are supported as well.", it can transferthe contents from .MOVs to .AVIs. (.AVI and limited .3GP input supported also).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 9:43 PM   #34

Thank you caelum for spotting it. my ignorance!

I should have read the description on the MP4CAM2AVI website a little bit more, sorry!

But I guess if you install M-JPEG codec, TMPGEnc should still work without the need for conversion by MP4CAM2AVI (I hope).
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:31 AM   #35

Ahh, I had not even thought about installing the included software. Thx for the tip will try it. I had k Lite codec installed before
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm

but have not re-installed that since moving to Windows XP. Never could decide if K Lite did funny things to my system (? spyware -vs- codec overload with the full version) I guess I am not the first to noice that all the codecs with little standards make for a real mess.

Would be great if TMpegEnc would recognize directly without any conversion. Who knows, maybe the bundled software will have some useful features as well.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 1:59 AM   #36

hotoru:

When I looked up the codecs in free-codecs.com, I did not see any M-JPEG codec included in the K-lite pack.

I used to worry about spywares in codec packs, therefore I never install them (plus, it has produced version conflicts when I install newer versions of individual codecs - more about things like DLL conflicts). However, it seems that people who installed them did not notice any spyware (ie. unidentified) dialing out through their firewalls.

Ulead Movie Factory 4 is included in the bundled software that come with my Xacti C6: this has editing and DVD transcoding/ burning capacity. Dunno maybe it will work with M-JPEG also. I don't really burn my movies onto DVD so I haven't installed this program.
Old Feb 11, 2006, 2:26 PM   #37

XP SP2 comes with an MJPEG codec made by Microsoft. That's the one I use, works fine with Canon's MJPEG .AVIs.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 4:42 AM   #38

Hmm. I have Windows XP with service pack 2 installed. I can play the Canon Videos but TMpegEnc will not recognize them. Are the AVIs Canon S2 records in MPEG 1 or MPEG2?

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
XP SP2 comes with an MJPEG codec made by Microsoft. That's the one I use, works fine with Canon's MJPEG .AVIs.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:04 AM   #39

Hey, I fixed it! I also realize (finally) how off topic I am in this forum so my apologies. I have posted in Canon forum here...
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=15
Thx for all the help,
hotoru

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
Thx for the info blindsight. I have a similar problem with my Canon S2 as TMpegEnc will not recognize its AVI files. So, I was looking at AVI2MPEG to ..............

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
Hotoru:

You can use this freeware MP4CAM2AVI to change MP4 to AVI (DIVX/ XVID).