Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 9, 2005, 4:51 PM   #1

I am so getting one:

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/digit...hd1-141758.php

Herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2005, 5:57 PM   #2

Yep, that's the one.

But only 5 megapixel, could have worse low-light performance than a C6? Lower quality still pics?

1280x720 video uses up SD memory 3x as fast as 640x480?

I like the flash on top, but does it use the same battery?

I would guess C6 prices will fall now, and it still hasn't been released yet!
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Administrator

Here's more HD1 info:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_5396.html
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2005, 11:55 PM   #4

For an idea on price, back in September when SanyoCanada announcedthis model they were targeting $CAD 999.99 (~$850) (September Globe and Mail article). The pricemight change,I was expecting slight changes to the specs... then again perhapsSanyo might hold a surprise for us at CES after all?

Enviable 10X optical zoom, 1280 x 720 is a 16:9 aspect ratio, 3x more pixels than VGA shouldrequire a much higher bandwidth and will produce muchlarger files of course (2GB SD de rigueur?). They won't be able to pull offtheir "9 pixel mixture" trick for low light video with this pony, at most it will be 4 pixel mixture, if they even have it. It's slightly bigger, including the lens (back in September The Imaging Resource specs said it would bea "Konica Minolta" lens), so more light should get in but the sensor specslook the same as the C5?

I don't see it beating the C6, that video resolution is overkill for me. I'm still hoping for more from the official specs. If not, well I guess it's at least an HD bragging device for Sanyo.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 4:06 AM   #5

Steve, I was looking through your "best cameras" list and found nary a Sanyo in the bunch. However, I also saw no video cam or hybrid category. If you had such categories, how would you the Sanyo Xacti's rank?

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 7:25 AM   #6

>>Best Cameras...found nary a Sanyo<<

It is what it is...for a stills camera, at least.

Steve gave the C5 a good write-up, but I hope he doesn't now go back and "Best" it or he'll lose credibilty in my eyes. He'd need to create a Hybrid Section for that. Heck, all these cameras are converging into stills/video hybrids anyway.

With Steve, you have to create your own little "Steve's Thesaurus of Adjectives" as a means to decipher his true opinion/read between the lines. :lol:
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2005, 10:14 AM   #7

theranman wrote:
Quote:
[...]With Steve, you have to create your own little "Steve's Thesaurus of Adjectives" as a means to decipher his true opinion/read between the lines. :lol:
I don't get it. I feel Steve's reviews generally approach cameras with an unbiased view, which is refreshing. If you are detecting ambivalence, perhaps it is simply because there is an absence of camera "snobbism"? I've seen this at other review sites, or from other camera enthusiasts, i.e. "if it's not SLR, it's crap" attitude (or if it's nottheir favourite brands, doesn't have a lens make they know, etc.).

And besides, from the C5 review's bottom line, please point out what needs deciphering?

Iguess it also helps that most of us :blah:can take in Steve's text reviews and then take a detailed look at the supplied high resolution samples, compare with the others,and make our own conclusions.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:18 PM   #8

>>I don't get it. I feel Steve's reviews generally approach cameras with an unbiased view,...<<

Uhm..I don't understand how you interpreted what I said as suggesting that Steve was biased, but I meant nothing of the sort. What I meant to say is that one must sometimes read between the lines to understand Steve's true enthusism level for a product. Is there a difference between "I was pleased" and "I was quite pleased"? What about "photos were very good" versus "excellent"?

For me, it took re-reading LOTS of Steve's reviews before I got a good feel as to how enthusiastic he really was, but heck, maybe I'M reading between the lines too much. We all interpret differently and reach our own conclusions for ourselves. I also think that since Steve does take in ad revenue, he must straddle that fine line between completely frank opinion and alienating his revenue sources. I think he does a "pretty good" job of this. :-)

>>Most of us can take in Steve's text reviews and then take a detailed look at the supplied high resolution samples.<<

Are you trying to suggest that webtv isn't as sophisticated a computing device as a dedicated pc?! Surely, you MUST be kidding!!!...sarcasm intended.

I'm working on it...especially for when I get the camera.

And btw, I was kinda surpised that Steve DIDN'T put the C5 on his "Best Cameras" list...especially since he stated somewhere that that was his carry around camera and that it was a blast to use.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Administrator

theranman wrote:
Quote:
And btw, I was kinda surpised that Steve DIDN'T put the C5 on his "Best Cameras" list...especially since he stated somewhere that that was his carry around camera and that it was a blast to use.

I would put it on the Best list except for the fact that it does sopoorly at indoor flash pictures. To make the list the camera has to do everything well and be priced right!
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 2:04 PM   #10

steve wrote:
Quote:
[...]To make the list the camera has to do everything well[...]
Except movie mode?