Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 11, 2005, 8:05 PM   #1

Anybody have any conventional wisdom as to the quality of non-oem replacement batteries such as the DB-L20? These are for sale on Ebay for around $7, whereas the originals are close to $50. Would ya try 'em, or do you get what ya pay for?

thnx
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:39 AM   #2

Edit: The Sanyo battery is $49.99 US from sanyousa.com so I thought about it and decided, nah, that's a bit steep.

I bought a spare from digital-camera-battery.net plus a car/wall charger for $27 + $7 shipping (since the C6 adapter does not have a charger built-in like the C5).

Edit: Ireceived the extra battery and the charger afterChristmas, they are very nice looking pieces, and the battery looks and performs exactly like the Sanyo battery. I don't know about the safety warning from Sanyo (below), but I think this was a decent value. I'm happy with it, and happier still with the price! If I think about Sanyo's warning, all they really say is that *their batteries* have protective devices but they don't actually say that the knock-offs *do not* have protective devices. I cannot tell what they're even talking about, I don't know what the protective device is, nor can I tell that the Sanyo battery has it, nor can I tell if the knock-off does not have it. SHRUG! If it becomes a problem I'll let you guys know.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:50 AM   #3
Administrator

I've got a number of the DB-L20 clone batteries that were bought off of eBay and so far (knock on wood) they are all doing fine. No problems in use or when charging and they have the same lifespan as the OEM Sanyo DB-L20. It is a pretty simple Li-ion cell and the clones that I have are identical in every respect physically and seem to be of the same build quality. I paid about $8 for them but paid as much if not more to get them shipped to me so the real cost was probably $15-18 each.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 3:45 PM   #4

Thanks again for the info.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 4:57 PM   #5

okey.

i have 1 OEM battery and 3 knock offs i bought from eBay rated at 850mAh.

and i used these for 4+ hours now with numerous recharges.

OEM (rated 720mAh) one did 84 shots and 21min of SHQ movie

the cheap ones(850mAh) charge to topperfectly and lasted until about 200 pictures.

Then the battery level fell off all of the sudden. after about 10 more pictures, the

camera turned off it self. what is happening?

i didn't check the third knock-off battery. but i'd guess the same for that..

ouchy..

FFF

ps- i'm charging one of the knock-off battery in "top off mode" which is when red goes off, just re insert it. again and again. i'll find out what happens..(im' not sure if this

is good idea, or right, for LiIon batteries)
flyn-fat-father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:53 AM   #6

Feb 18, 2005
http://sanyo-dsc.com/english/support/index.html

Regarding Lithium-Ion Batteries SANYO Electric Co., Ltd.
Thank you for your continued support of SANYO products.

At SANYO, we have long asked customers using our digital cameras and digital movie cameras to also use genuine SANYO lithium-ion batteries. However, we have on occasion identified imitation digital camera batteries that appear similar to our original lithium-ion batteries.

While lithium-ion batteries are considered superior to conventional NiCad batteries, users still need to follow certain safety procedures. To avoid hazards such as leaking liquids, ruptures or ignition, protective devices are required. SANYO lithium-ion batteries are manufactured with such devices built in. Using lithium-ion batteries without protective devices is hazardous.

We therefore once again urge customers using SANYO digital cameras and digital movie cameras to use only genuine SANYO lithium-ion batteries equipped with protective devices.

Furthermore, SANYO accepts no liability for leaking liquids, ruptures or ignitions caused by the use of batteries other than genuine SANYO lithium-ion batteries.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote