Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:27 PM   #71

Does anyone have any idea which cards will work with the HD1? Will the slow regular Sandisk (blue) 2GB SD card work?

Has anyone confirmed being able to use the slow Sandisk with the C6? Are there any issues with using a slow card?

There are some good deals now for the slow cards, but I want to make sure it will work in the camera before I get it. I don't mind if the cards are slow to download to a computer, and I don't care about burst speeds for stills. I do want to be able to record continuously at the highest 9Mbps Hi-Def rate for the HD1.

Thanks!
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 4:57 PM   #72
Administrator

NotoriousBGC wrote:
Quote:
i find it ridiculous that we have to investigate what SD/mini SD card works on this thing. an SD card is an SD card. sanyo should have known that there are different speed variations out there. it's more annoying from my side of the world because no store in australia sells this and most sellers in ebay aren't very helpful.

and also what's up with the 2gb limit? is it going to blow up another 1000 man hours of engineering development to meet this requirement?

Bear in mind that the 4GB SD cards are a recent development and that they require the use of the FAT32 file system versus the FAT file system now being used. When the C5/C6 cameras were developed there was no need to support larger cards.

The same can be said for high-speed SD cards - this is also a recent development. Before this year the fastest SD cards were only 32x to 60x and only recently have we seen 133x and 150x speed cards.

In answer to the other poster - the HD1 does support FAT32 as it had no problem with my new 150x speedPQI 4GB SD card.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:34 AM   #73

steve wrote:
Quote:
[...]the HD1 does support FAT32 as it had no problem with my new 150x speedPQI 4GB SD card.
:lol::lol::lol:Subtle way to say "I have an HD1!" :-)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:11 PM   #74

steve wrote:
Quote:
the HD1 does support FAT32 as it had no problem with my new 150x speed PQI 4GB SD card.
Steve -

If you have an HD1, can you test it with a slow speed card like the Sandisk blue? I know that in theory, even the base 32x rate cards should work, but I was hoping to get a real-world confirmation. I just want to see if there is any real benefit in going to a higher speed card for this camera for purposes of shooting video at the higest bit rate.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:04 PM   #75

I have two Adata 150x Turbo cards which are fine in my C5. One card was a replacement for another which would not format or anything, in camera or using a card reader on a PC.
JHWNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:05 PM   #76

Should have said they are both 1Gb cards.
JHWNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:23 PM   #77

Steve - In your testing did you see any indication that the faster cards that do work in the C6 or HD1 work any BETTER than the slower cards? Since those of us buying the HD will be collecting cards, it would be nice to buy the cheaper ones. (2GB for $50 after rebate at Fry's in California at the moment).
psphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2006, 10:23 AM   #78

Bought a Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig (66X) and it works just fine! I don't think there is a need for 133X card. I would think that a 133X is a waste of money as the C6 only writes 3mbps anyway! I don't find ANY lag time with my Sandisk Ultra II at all...plus it's gota lifetime warranty!
oshkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:05 AM   #79

oshkosh wrote:
Quote:
Bought a Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig (66X) and it works just fine! I don't think there is a need for 133X card. I would think that a 133X is a waste of money as the C6 only writes 3mbps anyway! I don't find ANY lag time with my Sandisk Ultra II at all...plus it's gota lifetime warranty!
Hi there, I also bought a Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig (66X) for my DMX-C6 and just like oshkosh wrote, mine works fine too. The only thing I am wondering is the real data reading rate of the memorycard via the camera. I'm not able to transfer the data from the camera with 10MB/s rate (10MB/s means 80Mb/s) as promised by Sandisk corporate. Just for an example I transfered total amount of 1000MB (~950MB of five videos plus 50MB of high res still images) in to my computer (brand new PC with usb 2.0 ports in it) and it took 5mins 33 secs to transfer them; not near the 1min 40 secs as it should be. I used the same usb2.0 port wich gave me ~7MB/s reading rate from my Kingston usb-memory stick. So the real reading rate of my Sandisk Ultra II card was (in other transfers also) only 3MB/s... Any others of you have clearly lower reading rate from Xacti C6 than 10MB/s with this or other high speed card ? Any advice? Thanks!
kemppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:25 PM   #80

What kind of card reader are you using to read the card? Are you just using the camera? If so, that may be the bottleneck. Have you tried other cards with the same camera to see if it is capable of higher speeds? Or you could try the Sandisk card in a high speed reader.

I think you have to take the manufacturer's ratings with a grain of salt. Their numbers are always for optimal conditions. For example, I think the usually exclude all of the overhead in the protocol and just give a raw rate. Also, the rate may be a burst rate, and the card may not be able to sustain the read rate for the entire period. Also, read rates may be slower than the write rates.

In any case, my advice is to just start the download, go make yourself a cup of coffee or use the restroom, and it will be done when you get back.