Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:08 PM   #91

Wow, that first pic really looks great compared to the others! Are these frames extracted from video, or are they still pics?

This is just a guess, but is that first pic withone-push white balance? So before you took the picture (according toP.71 of the book) you were supposed to show the camera a whitepiece of paperand have it self-adjust white balance with one push of the set button, did you do that? Secondpicture with auto white balance? Thirdpicture with auto scene select and auto white balance?

Say, did you try the other two indoor white balance modes: fluorescent and incandescent? I wonder how they would have worked. It's nice to know the one push option is available, but that isn't always so convenient.

I'm beginning to think the camera will consistently perform beneath its capabilities if left in automatic mode...
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:38 PM   #92

I actually did not make this pics myself (yes they are extracted from a video).
A guy here in the Netherlands who is also a proud owner of the C6 made this pics after I told him that with the sceneselection put on fireworks the image is much sharper when filming in a low light area.

You are right about the other things (This is just a guess, but is that first pic withone-push white balance? So before you took the picture (according toP.71 of the book) you were supposed to show the camera a whitepiece of paperand have it self-adjust white balance with one push of the set button, did you do that? Secondpicture with auto white balance? Thirdpicture with auto scene select and auto white balance?)
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:42 PM   #93

My personal c6 review:I'll rate the camera a 8/10---- but i was expecting a 9/10 to 10/10 when i downloaded the sample video files from the¬* links from this forum.I used to own a jvc everio mc100... i rate the jvc a 7/10 because of the really hard workflow and very poor low light video quality (colors dissapear at low light). Features and video quality is far better than the c6. i didnt like the mpeg 2 (just imagine my workflow... shoot over 4gb worth of files thats 40min of high quality video---convert to .dv files(+7gb)-- edit in imovie (+12gb)-- then burn to dvd using idvd) so basically you need to have atleast 20gb of free space just to edit and view your 40-60min video. oh, and i forgot to add you need 2 days just to edit and render your project. SO I SOLD IT AND BOUGHT THE SANYO c6 after reading all the good reviews here in the forum.I'm a professional photographer¬*http://www.top-fashion-photographers...olo-pineda.htm SO i didnt buy the c6 for the still photos but for the video capabilities. I needed a compact video cam that i can bring ALL THE TIME w me so i wont miss any moments that i needed to record that stills wont be enough. I bought the c6 to shoot behind the scenes during pictorials. so my main concern is i wanted a small compact HD/SD based camcorder that can shoot good low light videos (i need it because its pretty dark shooting in the studio). I just tested the c6 today and i was a bit dissapointed that the c6 can only see atleast 100ws of ambient bulb. lower than that is a bit impossible to see. I saw the sample video in a japanese website where they have the girl in the bar video clip and it really looked acceptable. but i guess they were able to put proper lighting on that. the sanyo doesnt have a shuuter control for slower shutter when shooting video at low light not like the everio(SUCKS!!).But i was amazed that it can produce nice colors with proper lighting. quality is very good for its size and for a sd based camcorder. for me its the best compact sd based mpeg4 camcorder out in the market. im satisfied w it becasue of the awsome workflow and small/compact that its even smaller than my celphone.ALL in ALL... i rate it as 8/10!Pro:Small and compactLooks goodGood colors when shooting decent lighting conditioneasy to controlto be able to record stills while shooting video(find this cool)pretty sharp lensmpeg4 baed so easy workflow w mac and quicktimeThe c6 talks...hahaCons:Poor low light... not enough for me...or maybe i just expected moreno manual controls (shutter speed when shooting video)i was about to buy the samsung miniket and i'm just so happy that i found this forum that introduce me to this new toy...For me... i love this gadget more than my jvc everio and canon dvd camcorder!!its worht it if you ask me!!sorry cant review the stills because i didnt buy this for the still capabilities of this cameraany c6 owners who has same sentiments as me regarding the low light capabilities of this camera? is this a good improvemnet compared to the c5 and samsung miniket? just want to satisfy that i made a right conclusion
pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:27 PM   #94

pork, thanks for your feedback! RE shutter control: as an alternative, what about page 70 of the C6 manual, it says you can set the ISO manually, up to ISO 400 for stills andISO 3600 for video? (in auto mode, it will not go as high)

Yes the current Miniket series does poorly in low light and does poor stills with it's less than one mega-pixel sensor. But I expect Samsung and others to catch up in the coming years, solid state video should get more and more interesting.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:09 AM   #95
TNN

Slave flash note
I tested Hama's slave flash trigger, aka "Synchromat", with the C6 and a Vivitar 550 flash. You need to increment exposure correction by one or two notches to ensure the camera's shutter stays open long enough.
Hama's slave flash trigger:
http://www.hama.de/portal/articleId*...ch*06967?lid=2
TNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:05 AM   #96

How does this thing work (my German not being very strong...). Does this appreciably improve low light performance for stills?:?
Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:38 AM   #97
TNN

Goldy: it's a light sensor that you can fix to an external flash's hotshoe.
The external flash then flashes as soon as another flash is sensed, e.g. your C6's flash.
This certainly improves flash stills.
Note: I edited the link, it now points to the English version.
TNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:15 PM   #98

Thanks TNN.

So I guess with a C6 one would have to hold the flash? I do not believe that there is a hot-shoe.

Thanks!
Goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:28 PM   #99

Pork, I have the same feelings about the low light video performance (I started a tread on the subject). I watched the same video on the Sanyo website, and was very impressed because that was were my camera was going to be shooting alot of video.

My experiences with the C6 in the real world are no where near as good as that Sanyo bar video. In a nightclub / darker restaurant, the C6 takes unwatchable video. I have tried adjusting every thing and using every possible combination of manual controls, and nothing helps out the video. The C6 will automatically use ISO400 in lowlight, so manually adjusting that does nothing.

I am also skeptical about the firework setting for video. The Firework setting uses largest possible f-stop which means a small aperature opening (am I right here?). The lamp mode on the other hand uses the smallest f-stop meaning largest aperature. Common sense would tell me that you want to have the largest aperature (smallest f-stop), so how would fireworks mode be the best lowlight option?

And as I mentioned in my other post, the video is mysteriously gained up when you half depress the still picture button. Someone said its just the LCD adjusting the brightness of the picture, but I am holding on to hope that it is actually in some kind of aperature/ISO/shutter speed combination that the user just cant access for video mode. Maybe some firmware or hacked firmware could enable it.

But yea, total bummer on the lowlight video.

double0jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 7:25 PM   #100

Did somebody already mail sanyo about this???

double0jimb0 wrote:
Quote:
.... But yea, total bummer on the lowlight video.

Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote