Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 23, 2006, 7:41 AM   #141

I have 2 issues I would like to solve┬* with my C6:1-which slave flash I can use to improve the low light pics ? (Metz 28 cs2 ?....)┬* ┬* ┬*2-which external disk can we use to store Mpeg4 (X-drive,OTG...) ?These topics are sometime posted ...no clear answer is presently given ...Thanks a lot for the help
carlos13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:29 AM   #142

I ordered a Kinamax Portable Data Storage 2.5" Hard Drive Enclosure with Flash Card Reader based on comments here -- will post a review once it arrives.
bobmatnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:05 AM   #143

Just got the kinemax unit from Tiger Direct, and it looks like a winner. I plugged an spare 2.5" 40G laptop drive I had, and now I can take the SD card out of my C6 and copy right to the hard drive! Remote storage problems solved for about $70, including shipping.

Some thoughts:
  • The box is very light on documentation (and what there is is crap). I had originally formatted my HD using a Mac partition scheme and format, and it didn't like that (it worked fine as an external USB HD, but was not able to copy files from the SD card). There was no explanation for error message 1 (at least I think the "1" was an error code) or the icon, but when I partioned the HD using a DOS scheme, it worked fine. Fortunatly the OSX disk utility and OSX in general works fine either way.[/*]
  • Don't know how fast copying a 1G card will be, but you'll probably want a second 1G card to swap if you need to minimize down time (and a second battery/charger as well). Still faster than swapping tapes.[/*]
  • The unit has a nice backlit LCD screen on the front that shows disk space, a battery meter, copy status.[/*]
  • Copying seems fast (it uses USB 2.0), but if you're working with only one card, you should allow for at least a few minutes to transfer data.[/*]
  • There doesn't appear to be a copy/delete option, so you'll need to format your SD card after transferring pics/videos.[/*]
  • When the box is plugged directly into your PC, any plugged-in memory card will also mount.[/*]
  • Here's something cool -- not only will the box act as a multi-card reader for your computer (while plugged in via its USB port), it has three separate slots (one for MS/MMC/SD, one for CF/MD, one for SM/XD) that can be accessed simultaneously (or at least the CF and SD slots can).[/*]
  • The unit is very simple to operate -- only two buttons, on/off and copy. In addition to the three memory card slots, there is a USB 2.0 port, a DC power port (A/C charger included), and a line power LED.[/*]
  • Not sure about battery life yet, but my daughter's birthday party is this Saturday, so I'll find out then![/*]
Thanks again, blindsight, for this great find!

--b

Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:34 AM   #144

carlos13:

"which external disk can we use to store Mpeg4 (X-drive,OTG...)?"

If you mean "which OTG or digital photo storage devices are compatible with MP4 files?" - the answer is: they should ALL be compatible. OTG is a non-selective data transfer protocol through USB connection. An OTG host will read and transfer ALL types of windows files which can be detected and read by a PC - whether they are image, video, music, document, program or any other file types. Therefore, if you buy one which are specifically marketed for "digital PHOTO storage", it will also recognize and transfer your video files.

bobmatnyc:

I am glad you figured out the HD formatting part - in fact I find that this is the most difficult part of the self-installation! I am prepared to show you how to use WinXP Admininstrative Tools to format the external HD, but it won't be useful since you are a Mac user. You should have the HD formatted to FAT32 (definitely NOT NTFS for WinXP) - formatting to older FAT systems limits the maximum file size to <2 GB.

Remember the transfer speed from the card to the OTG is limited by the READ speed of the card - so it is never as high as USB 2 speed!

I do not know of any OTG device or digital image storage that has "delete/ format memory card" function. In any case, it is much better to clean the card by formatting with your camera and not your computer devices, so that you are sure it is compatible with the camera and ready to take pictures/ videos.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:00 PM   #145
Administrator

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
I saw the C6 review, I wasn't too impressed. A lotof content wascopied from the C5 review and not much emphasis has been placed on the downsides of the camera[...]
He might be trying to please the manufacturers, howeverin this case it's less likelyconsidering Steve's indicated that he purchased his own Xactis. I could be wrong, but I think that Steve, with his undeniable experience with a wide range of cameras,simply assumes we knowthat ultra-compacts, with their tiny lenses and sensors, can't measure up to normal or even compact sized cameras. I expect he reviews cameras based on their performancerelative totheir category, without feelingthe needto spell this out (although he does, regarding the flash). I've readquite a fewultra-compact reviews and flash, noiseand red-eye issues are pervasive.The ultimate portability factor for snapshots is the selling point of these cameras, nottheir pro photo capabilities. The C6 has the bonus distinction of ultimate videocam portability.

Let me just say that YES - we do copy content from one review to the other as in the case of the Sanyo C5 and C6 - where features and controls are identical in the newer model.

And NO - we don't owe anything to the manufacturers other than a "thanks" for letting us borrow the camera to review it.

I have been accused of never reviewing a "bad" camera but the simple fact is that we don't review ALL of the digtal cameras on the market. We pick and choose what we will review because there isn't enough time to review ALL of them. So those cameras that we do review are already known to work"as advertised" and when they don't we do comment about it in the conclusion text. And yes we do take into consideration the category the camera falls into (from Large and fully featured down to Tiny and point-n-shoot) when making our conclusions.

-Steve

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:37 PM   #146

Just found a new filter called GREYC which (without exaggeration) works magic on noise and removing subtitles, lines, etc. See the <a href="http://www.greyc.ensicaen.fr/~dtschump/greycstoration/demonstration.html">home page</a> for examples.

Its not for the faint of heart -- it only runs under either command-line or as a GIMP plug in for now.

I applied it to the bridge photo I took using the C6 at medium resolution, and the results are pretty spectacular. The left side is the filtered image, the right side is the original. I imagine it would work even better on the original size.

--b
Attached Images

Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:21 PM   #147
Yar

Hi┬* BobI also have a sony trv 11,my kid dropped it last month breaking the firewire connector on the camera plus the tape will not eject out of┬* camera. I am looking for a trv11 for parts that might bring it back to life .Are you interested in helping me out.Please let me know if you can help.
Yar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:23 PM   #148

My TRV11's recorder still works, so I'm going to hold on to it to play the tapes we have. At some point, I'm going to need to digitize them all.

Yar wrote:
Quote:
Hi BobI also have a sony trv 11,my kid dropped it last month breaking the firewire connector on the camera plus the tape will not eject out of camera. I am looking for a trv11 for parts that might bring it back to life .Are you interested in helping me out.Please let me know if you can help.
Old Jan 31, 2006, 5:58 PM   #149

The bridge picture is beautiful with that GREYC filter applied. It looks like one which smears noise out with a little defocusing. The final effect is very soft and dreamy, it took all the hard edges out of the lattice work and made the lights into beautiful gentle balls. I've heard of a similar effect in film photography where they apply a little vaseline to the outer edge of the lens to achieve a similar soft effect. Very nice!
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:10 PM   #150

Interesting re. the vaseline. That's exactly my impression of its effects. I updated the original size one, a considerable improvement. Only wish someone would modify the plug-in for OSX. It took about 30 min. to clean up the full 6mp file.

One other amazing trick this filter has is that it can cleanly remove subtitles and lines from images.