Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:01 PM   #21

AAAAAAAAh just got my C6 in the mail today shortly after my post. But its got the UK power adapter...did anyone else have this, I think most people didnt. Would a simple converter work?
DRDJDesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:02 PM   #22

Same as me re: quicktime, I have an Athlon XP 2600+ at home, and Quicktime does a really poor job at playing back even MP3 files without distortion, in fact I deleted Quicktime off the computer in disgust (worksfantastic on Apple computers tho). I too use "Media Player Classic" which works a lot better than Microsoft Media Player, I never saw a stutter on any of the sample vids & I downloaded all of them. Santa has a Zenith ZRH-516 DVD player under the tree for us, it can play DivX .AVI files and I'm hoping to see how well that does with the converted MP4 files (that MP4 to AVI utility is absolutely incredible, it even converts audio from AAC to MP3 if your player cannot play AAC, and I'm not sure about the Zenith). On the other hand the Zenith also plays MP4 so it may just work, I guess I willfind outin a few days!

Gusher1, do you have a tripod to try a long exposure shot? I just wonder how that same picture would turn out if the CCD had enough time to get a good glimpse of the scene. There's a store in town that has pretty decent looking full-sized telescoping aluminum tripods for only $20, I do believe I'm gonna get one.

Edit: DRDJDesi, did you get the DMX-C6 or the VPC-C6?
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:03 PM   #23

Thanks gusher1, certainly confirms the weakflash alright.Might beok for full frame people shots, not much more? By the way, I haven't tracked them down but there are lighting accessories out there, like the ones from Camerabright that screw into the tripod socket and provide constant lighting which is good for movies too. I don't know how well they work. Wouldprobably help alot a C5.

Edit: DRDJDesi, snuzzles (page 15) didn't get a US plug either, you might want to PM him to find out what he did. If the AC adapter is universal you might only need a different plug cord, not a converter.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:36 PM   #24

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Gusher1, do you have a tripod to try a long exposure shot? I just wonder how that same picture would turn out if the CCD had enough time to get a good glimpse of the scene. There's a store in town that has pretty decent looking full-sized telescoping aluminum tripods for only $20, I do believe I'm gonna get one."
Yeah, I've got a tripod. Had to go find it because I haven't used it in years. So I took the same scene again in "night mode" with a tripod. Distance back to around 14 feet. Looks much better. Of course, a tripod and/or extra light kind of defeats the portability advantage of the C6. But I guess what this illustrates is that you can get decent shots in dim light if you can steady the camera.

Edit: theranman, you could always use the bar to steady the camera when taking party pics:-)
Attached Images

gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 3:41 PM   #25

Cool, here's the EXIF data from that shot:

File: - tripod night mode.JPG

ImageDescription - SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA
Make - SANYO Electric Co.,Ltd.
Model - C6
Software - ver1.0.0
DateTime - 2005:12:20 12:30:27
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 546
ExposureTime - 1/6 seconds
FNumber - 3.50
ExposureProgram - Normal program
ISOSpeedRatings - 215
ExifVersion - 0220
DateTimeOriginal - 2005:12:20 12:30:27
DateTimeDigitized - 2005:12:20 12:30:27
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
CompressedBitsPerPixel - 2 (bits/pixel)
BrightnessValue - -1.00/0.00
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 3.48
MeteringMode - Multi-segment
LightSource - Auto
Flash - Flash fired, auto mode
FocalLength - 6.30 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 2816
ExifImageHeight - 2112
FileSource - Other
SceneType - Other
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
WhiteBalance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 0.00 x
FocalLengthIn35mmFilm - 41 mm
SceneCaptureType - Night scene
GainControl - None
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Macro

Incidentally, this is from "IrfanView" freeware photo editor, quite a program. Anybody can find it with Google.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 4:52 PM   #26

Link to video of Christmas lights shot from a moving car. This is a bit confusing to do. When you load the page, scroll to the bottom then click on "Free." Then it gives you a "download ticket" which makes you wait 30 seconds before downloading. It took me about 5 minutes to download with a broadband connection.

http://rapidshare.de/files/9539340/SANY0039.MP4.html

Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:10 PM   #27

Thanks for the video gusher1! Looks nice and smooth, it took about 5 minutes to download for me too, not too bad considering it's 22MB.

Edit: this video also plays smoothly in full screen in Media Player Classic and the sound is great too. Ijust triedit in Quicktime7 Pro and it can't play it full screen smoothly and even in windowed mode it still does that funny vibrato effect to the sound. So it looks like Quicktime 7is too sluggish on WinXPto handle C6 video on my PC, no loss to me since I don't use it, butothers might alsoconsider alternatives(I wouldn't be surprised if it works fine in QT7 on a Mac, as Grunchy stated).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:20 PM   #28

Thanks for the stills, Gusher. Feel like putting the Fuji 1MP pics up for comparison? If not, no big deal.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:34 PM   #29

theranman wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the stills, Gusher. Feel like putting the Fuji 1MP pics up for comparison? If not, no big deal.
Sorry, I didn't take comparison pictures today. If I tried to do it now it wouldn't be a fair comparison because the sun is trying to come out and it is much brighter than it was when I took the C6 pictures earlier.

But if you compare the C6 picture taken in night mode (with a tripod) to the previous C6 pictures taken today, you can see there is a huge difference in the brightness and colors with the longer exposure of the night mode setting.

If you get a chance to download the Christmas lights video I just posted, check it out. To me that video demonstrates what the C6 is all about...the ability to take fun shots on the spur of the moment. How many other cameras do you think would allow you to take high quality video with one hand while driving a car?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 5:46 PM   #30

Grunchy and Caelum, thank you for the timely replies. I did infact get a VPC model, but EX so Euro model. The adapter was able to take a different power cord which I picked up at radio shack for around 3 bucks. I got a 1 gig sandisk card and its charging as we speak!

I ordered (card was charged) on the 17th and I received it today 20th so pretty fast shipping. The box was beat up bad but the packaging was very nicely done with tons of bubble wrap/styrofoam. The box appeared to never have been opened, but no warrently card was to be found (so im guessing 123warehouse kept it as mentioned in previous posts). Im hoping to take it out tonight when I go ice skating so ill be able to comment on night time picture/vid quality (from a novice point of view:?!!!)

For what its worth, radioshack is selling the 1 gig card for 69.99 (thats including the mail in rebate) and you get a little budget MP3 player (MyMusix). I know online shopping is cheaper, but I just couldnt waita day longer to get a card so I can play with my new toy!:|
DRDJDesi is offline   Reply With Quote