Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:32 PM   #41

Yeah I mean rave parties yeah. Haha well of many parties here in Holland they make dvd's and no one has ever been arrested because he was on a dvd while under influence of drugs (assume you were aiming at the drugs abuse:?).

SOme other question I have. What's with the Xacti DMXC6??? What's the difference with the VPC??? Because on ebay I can get a Xacti DMX-C6 for about 380 euro including an extra battery and a small gift.

ALready some other people here on the forum mention the DMX but what's the difference with the VPC?

Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:35 PM   #42

Grunchy, it looks like all of their models screw into the camera's lens threads (smallest is for 52mm threads), so it won't work with ultra-compacts. With the 16 plus LED lights it should be much brighter than the 4 LED Camerabright ones I mentionned above, too bad.

Bart, DMX- models, which could relate to"domestic market"? is for the Japanese market, VPC- export models are for everywhere else around the World. Read the previous thread for more info.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:43 PM   #43

Hi Caelum, at the bottom of that DigiSlave page there are some links to some independent reviews, including one by Steve's Digicams:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/1280lens2.html#dsf-1

This is a pic of ePhoto 1280 with L-bracket and DigiSlave DSF-1 flash. Personally I would want a smaller bracket, but at least it's within the realm of possibility??

Edit: I checked out those CameraBright flashes, they look really good, wow I'm impressed! The price at $40 and downis a lot more affordable than the DigiSlave flashes at $100 and up. The only possible problem is that, because the Xacti frame is so short, your hand will likely obscure the CameraBright flash. When I get my C6 (should be tonight, hot dog!) I'll check it and let you guys know.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 4:17 PM   #44

Ooops, sorry I hadn't noticed the other Digi-slave flashes... I like the way all of the lighting accesory companies make it seem like no built-in flashes are ever good enough.:-)

[align=center]From their web site: "The first shot was taken at night with Olympus D600L's built in flash. The second was taken with the Digi-Slave Deluxe 2000 added." :lol:
[/align]
[align=left]Edit: Actually reading more and more ultra-compact reviews from around the web they seem to all point outweak flashes with below 3m (10') range.[/align]
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:20 PM   #45

Are the batteries that the c6 comes with the type where you have fully charge it before using? Or will a partial charge be ok with no loss of charging capacity by the battery?
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:42 PM   #46

seiboshen, the Sanyo's DB-L20 is a Lithium Ion battery and therefore has no 'memory effect'. You should be able to do less than a full charge without concern, but generally with Li-Ion draining the battery flat is less desirablethan frequent recharges (topping up).

Edit: don't know how reliable this is but it's interesting: Battery University. theranman, according to this page they disagree with you, unless there is a need to calibrate a gauge (meter). I don't know what's right.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:46 PM   #47

ALL rechargeable batteries have memory loss problems, but the newer Ni-MH and Lithium batteries' memory problems are far less than those of the old Ni-Cad batteries.

Proper initial conditioning helps to preserve the batteries' capabilities;

Out of the box, you should initially charge the battery to FULL capacity. Don't skimp on this just because you're anxious to play with your toy. Next, run the battery down to almost completely empty by using the camera. Do NOT put it back in its charger before it is almost completely worn down. Then, place it back in its charger for as long as you wish, but fully charging is usually recommended. It's now conditioned properly.

Remember, ALL rechargeable batteries require this procedure. You'll be happy with Ni-Mh performance. Even better is Li ion, but they also have drawbacks.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:54 PM   #48

thanks guys for the feedback, I just got my camera and am anxious to play with it. How has the battery life been for the rest of you guys that already have this camera? Can you record one hour off of one charge to fil a 1 gb card?
seiboshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 8:02 AM   #49

Can somebody tell me if the DMX versions also have a dutch interface menu or at least an english menu?

How about the adapter, is it 110 - 220 V?

Greetz
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:58 AM   #50

Hey, I got a DMX-C6 in the mail yesterday from warehouse123, woo hoo! Mine was black so perhaps like Filmchick suggested, only the red ones are the VPC models. I was a little disappointed at first, but on the whole I realize it doesn't really make much difference.

I popped the battery in, set it up in the dock station, and let it charge up overnight (it came with a North American 2-prong plug). This morning I started it up, it was set for Japanese. It took me about 60 seconds to figure out how to change to English, so I realized that this must be dead easy to navigate -- if I can change language settings using Japanese menus without referring to the instruction book (also in Japanese), then that's a pretty simple layout.

No memory card yet, but so far I can confirm that the camera sensor works andthe LCD display works very nicely. I changed a number of settings already. You know what would be nice? If it had 3 re-programmable setting buttons on the exterior. By that I mean, buttons A,B,C on the side somewhere which can be linked to a particular function in the menu system. Soa personcould program button A to be white-balance toggle, for instance - just tap it to cycle through the white balance settings &avoid the menu system. The menu isn't bad, but it takes a minute or two to navigate through.

My mail-order memory card is coming, probably (hopefully) tomorrow, so I probably won't buy a spare one (2GB Sandisk Ultra II 60x for $230 Cdn at Costco). I could take that money & buy a 20GB or even a 40GB photobank instead, which is probably much more useful than a spare memory card.

What I can comment on so far is: build quality = top notch, just as nice as the Sony M1 and M2 that I had looked at. The screen swivels and snaps into place very nicely, I'm a little worried about the spring wearing out and becoming floppy as I had read about in one review, so I'll just have to take care of it properly, I guess. The data port on the bottom has a little spring-loaded metal door that closes it off from the outside world but I can see grunge packing in there & spoiling the works over time, so no kids allowed at least for the time being. It has two little mock jewels inside where the screen is, which I am ambivalent about. If they fall off it'd look bad, they're almost too small to notice otherwise, I can't decide if they're tacky or not.

Edit: Handling notes. The body is short, so if I grip it normally (with my index finger beneath the flash) then my little finger hangs off the bottom. It almost feels too small. If it were just 1/2" longer, it'd feel a lot more comfortable, but these cameras have been around long enough that I assume its something I'll learn to adjust to. The angle of the lens is very nice, I can feel how much more natural it is to handle when angled upwards like this. The problem with the grip is, it would make it quite difficult to use any kind of auxiliary flash off the bottom. One thing I could consider doing, is to modify a CameraBright flash with a spacer about 1/2" thick, that would work.... here's what their $34.95 "ER" flash looks like (good for about 20' apparently).

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote