Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:19 AM   #71

Had my C6 for a few days now and i'm sorry to say that i'm extremely disappointed with it for still shots in bad light.

For video its great, however in my experience the stills performance leaves a lot to be desired.

Maybe its just me being a bad photographer and i naturally have the shakesbut 90% of the shots i took on christmas came outextremely blurry and the photos that were in focus look extremely grainy. The red eye when using the flash is much much worse than my pervious camera. Not what I expected from a 6mp digicam.

My old fuji 3.2mp camera seemed to take much sharper pictures and was a cinch to use in low lightand while I knew this wouldn't be the best, I didn't expect it to be as bad as i've found it.

Hopefully its just me and the pictures will improve but right now i'm conssidering picking up a cheap £50-100 still camera in addition to this as I reckon it could probably do a better job of stills. :sad:

Having said this i am a complete novice so maybe i just am doing something wrong. Simply for that case though I wouldnt recomed this to a novice wanting mainly use for stills as I never had any probs with my old fuji.
michelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:40 PM   #72

Hi,
I got my DMX for my wife for Christmas. She loves it. Really like the optical zoom that the cheaper hybrid cams don't have. Stills are amazing outdoors, kinda sucks indoors.
Video is amazing, especially when compared to the hybrids that I got my brothers for christmas. Video is smooth and detailed, and the low light capability is amazing.

The only thing that is bugging me is the dead pixels on the CCD imager. When playing back some video I shot indoors in low light, I counted about 7 dead pixels. They are impossible to notice when recording video in good light... so I'm not sure if they are dead or just not as sensitive as the rest of the ccd block?

If I can grab the DMX from my wife without her noticing (shes always recording our son) then I will do some more tests on the dead pixels. I don't want to tell her about it though since she is so happy with the DMX.
Bob C
bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:59 PM   #73

Thanks for the feedback!
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:36 PM   #74

I had a wonderful Christmas & gave the DMX-C6 a fair workout. I didn't have my memory card (it is ready for pickup today though) so I bought a 1GB card from Costco for testing and to return later.

Indoor still pics = sucks, however, I have not even begun to learn how to use this thing. On boxing day I went to XS Cargo (Canadian store) and picked up a really top-notch tripod for $20. 3-way adjustment, decent size, removable shoe, spare shoe, even better than the $100 ones they had at the Sony Store. The tiny camera looks positively silly mounted on this gigantic tripod. I have not tested it out yetthough becauseI was busy playing with a new DVD recorder Santa brought me :-) I am hopeful the tripod helps out still picture quality, plus I have yet to try out lamp & candle modes. I suspect that with a little bit of experimentation I will learn how to get decent low-light still pics.

Video: superb. Granny & Grampa came to visit & arrived with the ole Sony Hi-8 video camera, we dubbed off some Christmas tapes from years gone by and the quality difference is night & day. The DMX is far & away asharper, brightervideo camera than that Sony ever was, and I would expect all Hi-8 mm recorders to be about the same quality-wise (though those old tapes could have washed out a little with age). As filmchick pointed out, I quickly learned to "push up" on the select joystick to lock the autofocus. In low light (I did all filming in low light) the autofocussometimes tends to hunt, whereas if it is locked it performs just fine. As for video playback at 60 fps, I couldn't tell the difference. For memory capacity I felt a little cramped with that 1GB card. Battery life was stellar butthe handlegot pretty warm after about 20 minutes of continuous recording. I got a low battery warning after 2 full uses of the memory card, so I expect the spare battery to come in handy.

At first I was a little bummed because of the DMX vs VPC issue, which I suppose colored my opinion of the thing for awhile, but after watching some of the video (and especially after comparing it to Sony Hi-8 output), I am definitely pleased with this unit. I confirmed that the Sony M2 does indeed cost $700 Cdn compared to paying $600 Cdn all-in for this Sanyo C6 purchased, taxed, and delivered (no import duties) - WOW. Actually Warehouse123 made a mistake on my import papers, they had put the purchase price at $149 instead of $459 which saved me about $25on tax, also they accidentally charged me the American shipping rate instead of the Canadian shipping rate, which saved me another few bucks.

Redeye: it definitely exists, and was not too bad but does require post-processing. The in-camera redeye processing is incredible, but not infallible. I was amazed to find this feature and how easily it detected the red eyes, and how well it fixed the problem. What it did wrong, was it did not always detect all the red eyes (one picture it found nored eyes, the next picture it found both & fixed them, the next picture it found one red eye and left one, etc). Again, I only have the Japanese manual (which is as good as no manual at all as far as I'm concerned) so there may be even MORE I can do to fix redeye, low-light performance, etc. Joe of Warehouse123 said to look on the CD and the manual is there, and I found it, thanks Joe.

Do I recommend it? DEFINITELY. However, I can also see somethingof this capabilitybeing worth only about $200 Cdn within just a few years; but to pay for this quality level I would expect it to eventually be worthno less thanabout $300 Cdn in the future. I paid $600 Cdn but I am expecting the price premium to be worth it for recording video in the meantime. The actual cost is higher than this naturally, because you need a good modern computer to edit the video, and a DVD/HDD recorder is a handy addition. I am really looking forward to utilizing the DivX capability of the DVD recorder to play back native files (near-native: I still have to convert MP4 into AVI, but that is it & it is fast to do). I don't think it is worthwhile to playback the videoand dub witha DVD recorder, here is why: to dub 1 hr of video that way would take 1 hour and there is a certain amount of noise introduced, plus the resultant video consumes more space. Converting the MP4 file to AVI and burning onto a DVD will use a lot less space, take much less than 1 hr to do, and introduces NO noise into the video. So, the 60 fps playback feature is kind of moot in my estimation.

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:28 PM   #75

i just got done with copying my christmas day footage to pc.Its 718mb.Man i can imagine using alot of hard disk space in future.I did all my shooting indoors and just turned on the lights of the room for better effect.I did notice the auto focus looking about sometimes.I am very pleased with the results.I played back the footage on my crappy 32inch tv and i didnt notice any blocks.The video is very smooth.Myrelative has herbirthday party tommorrow and i am lending myc6 for the party thats how much my family like it.I just hope it comes back the same way.
motty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:28 AM   #76

Yeah! Got THE e-mail today in which digitel revolution told me they recieved my payment. My Sanyo DMX C6 is on it´s way :-)

I can hardly wait for it to arrive. Already ordered a 1gb SD card. With the package also comes a extra battery

When I´ve received the Sanyo I´ll post my review.

Cheers!!!
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:41 AM   #77

mee too! i got the email from warehouse123 that my camera is on the way!!!!!!

cant wait!!!
undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:43 PM   #78

Thanks to the great advice here, I have ordered the Xacti VPC-C6 (silver) from Warehouse123 - the Joe guy already called my home number (I'm overseas) to check the address.* Seems like great service - the site was also really easy to navigate and purchase through.I want the camera solely for video - its still function is a bonus.* I had a look at a C5 in a shop and was hugely impressed.* I dislike flash photography anyway, so don't plan to use that much anyway - mainly outdoors stuff.**I had thought of buying the C6 from PurelyGadgets.co.uk, but just couldn't justify the extra cost.* It was nearly US$200 more - with nothing bundled.* I cannot understand how the price differential can be so huge on this.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:06 PM   #79

Hmm, my package from eCost.com was inspected by customs and the Sandisk memory card is inexplicably missing.... :evil: Grr!

You know what, I'm going to get the A-Data 2GB 60x card like filmchick got. The price is much lower and she said it works just fine. That's what I want!

In other news, I received the DB-L20 clone battery and charger from digital-camera-battery.net, here's my opinion so far. SUPER! It charged up in less than 2 hours, the battery never got hot, the charger shut off properly, and the camera liked the battery (so far!) so I am pleased. It was pricey at $15 each, but shipping was reasonable and the battery seems to work just fine, and much more reasonable than Sanyo's MSRP of $50 per battery. I'll have to run it out and see how it triggers the battery power remaining indicator in the camera. These batteries have the same 720 mAh capacity as the DB-L20 so I'm hopeful the camera reports its capacity the same way (I heard the 850 mAh ones lasted a good long time, but then discharged all-of-a-sudden with little warning). Now I wish I had gotten two batteries, but you know what, this will do me just fine. The charger even had a 12Vplug for in-car charging, now that's a nice feature.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:54 PM   #80
TNN

I've also run into the "defocused problem". It seems the solution is to switch the camera off and back on. From my point of view this is a software design error. I hope Sanyo designed a way to enable us to upgrade the camera's software once they program a fix for this software bug.
EnderrWiggin wrote:
Quote:
I'm running into one problem - gusher1 seemed to run into it in his post on that 17-page thread on the C6: Unless I have the lens cap off and I'm pointing the camera at something _not_ close up when I open the LCD, the camera won't focus on anything at full wide angle. If I turn it off and then back on, it works fine (is this thing running Windows?). It's reproducible,but alsofixable in a second or two. Trying the manual focus, changing settings, etc. doesn't do anything, although sometimes I can zoom in and it will focus, but stops when zooming back out.
TNN is offline   Reply With Quote