Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:08 PM   #81
TNN

I noticed the Xacti C6 does not detect red eyes of some people. After processing the image in The Gimp I think it is those people who wear contact lenses. The contacts add a blue green tinge to the red eye. I find it annoying that the engineers at Sanyo did not design an anti red-eye flash mode AND did not sufficiently test their red-eye detector.
Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Redeye: it definitely exists, and was not too bad but does require post-processing. The in-camera redeye processing is incredible, but not infallible.
TNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 1:56 AM   #82

EnderrWiggin wrote:
Quote:
I'm running into one problem - gusher1 seemed to run into it in his post on that 17-page thread on the C6: Unless I have the lens cap off and I'm pointing the camera at something _not_ close up when I open the LCD, the camera won't focus on anything at full wide angle
The problem I reported was actually a bit different. One of the first videos I took was of my daughter and her kindergarten class singing in their Christmas concert that was held in a gymnasium with average lighting. The autofocus had a considerable amount of difficulty holding focus, particularly when the kids moved around.

Since that time, I've had considerably less difficulty with that problem. I don't know if I had something set wrong due to my unfamiliarity with the camera, or the camera needed to get to know me better, or what, but the autofocus has been behaving much better lately.

BTW, I am still in the middle of my trip to Disneyland/Southern California. We spent 3 days at Disneyland (very crowded) and today came down to San Diego where we will be for another 3 days. Having the C6 has been great...I have carried it with me wherever I've gone and it has allowed me to catch many shots that I would have missed with a less portable camera.
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 10:49 AM   #83

Have had DMX - C6 from Japan for several weeks now. Still images are VERY DISSAPOINTING!

As mentioned in another thread, I owned an Xacti J1 and it was awsome in still and video (even though files were huge) regardless of the type of light.

The C6 autowhitebalance is horrible in both incandescent and flourescent light.

I have checked all the settings and nothing really corrects the problem. Using manual light source selection helps somewhat, but then you constantly have to change this setting and the flash (daylight) turns the "incandescent" pictures blue.

When you print the photos, they look completely different (worse) that what's on your computer.

The C6movies are not significantlybetter than 640x480 30fps from the J1 and the white balance problem is evident.

Unitwas new in sealed box. Either this unit is defective or this camera needs further development. I can't believe that it's so much worse than a unit from Sanyo thats over 2 years old.

I would like tohear from anyone regarding these issues.
chanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:10 PM   #84

Sad to say, but after all of the comments I've been reading about the C6, I've come to the conclusion that it's just not the camera for me. Yeah, the form factor and daylight video seem to be out of this world, but my primary interest in still photography with good video thrown in as a bonus. As far as I'm concerned, there are many cameras out there that take good video, but as we've learned, their main Achilles heel is the mpeg decoding, which limits the recording time.

So it is with quite a bit of sadness that I will not be purchasing the COOLEST little digicam on the market and will instead be going with the Fuji F11, which seems to cover most of what I'm looking for, including excellence in indoor/low lighting situations...WITHOUT even using the flash.

I will certainly miss the C6, especially since I had such high hopes and just LOVE the form factor.

Randy
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:35 AM   #85

theranman, How bout waiting 4 mths for the release of the new Sanyo HD1 with the pop up flash?

$800USD though...so expensive!
Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:49 PM   #86

To be honest, I would have preferred to see Sanyo tackle the low light problem with either OIS or increasing the low light sensitivity like so many other camera companies have. Upping the pixels has no great allure for me at all, since superb pics can be had at 3-4 MP. When it all boils down to it, it's the lens and processor that really count, and I don't hear a lot of the pros raving about the Sanyo lens. In fact, one of the on line reviewers called the Sanyo "junk"....even though he had no direct experience with them. Don't get me wrong, I think the C6 is the PERFECT form factor, but I just don't think they've paid enough attention to creating a good stills camera....yet.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:53 PM   #87

Hmmm I found out something strange.
When you are filming in low light ereas, put the scene selection to fireworks and you'll see this improves the film quality a lot!

Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 4:17 PM   #88

Page 171 of the Xacti C6 manual explains all the Scene Select settings.

Sports, Portarait, Landscape, Night: super macro focus range cannot be selected.

Fireworks: Focus range fixed at normal mode, flash locked off.

Lamp: still image mode fixed at 0.3 megapixel, flash locked off, super macro focus range cannot be selected.

Furthermore: when focus range is set to super macro, scene select changes to Auto.

If you set the focus range to normal mode, super macro, ormanual focus, it changes to "all ranges" mode if any Scene Select other than Auto is selected.

When scene select is set to fireworks, focus range changes to normal mode.

Got all that?? Hmm, that last line is redundant, yet that's what it says on page 171 (look at page 54 for all the focus range info).
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:26 AM   #89

theranman, where did you read reviews on camera lens?

Any websites you guys think provide good reviews on camera lenses?
Naruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:59 AM   #90

But that does still not explain why the image quality is much better in low light areas when the scene selection is put on fireworks. The main thing of the fireworks sceneselection is the shuttertime. But that's only when you making a photo not when you are filming.

See the difference for yourself:

edit: the wall has actually a babyblue color.

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Page 171 of the Xacti C6 manual explains all the Scene Select settings.

Sports, Portarait, Landscape, Night: super macro focus range cannot be selected.

Fireworks: Focus range fixed at normal mode, flash locked off.

Lamp: still image mode fixed at 0.3 megapixel, flash locked off, super macro focus range cannot be selected.

Furthermore: when focus range is set to super macro, scene select changes to Auto.

If you set the focus range to normal mode, super macro, ormanual focus, it changes to "all ranges" mode if any Scene Select other than Auto is selected.

When scene select is set to fireworks, focus range changes to normal mode.

Got all that?? Hmm, that last line is redundant, yet that's what it says on page 171 (look at page 54 for all the focus range info).
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote