Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:43 AM   #1

Hi Guys, I've enjoyed reading your posts and having bought a C6 decided to chime in. I took my C6 to a work function last night and took a lot of low light photos, web quality videos etc to send to customers and staff. The little C6 on the whole did a great job except for one thing. How do you work out how much storage space is left?

The "info" page mentioned in Steves C5 review is slightly different on the C6 and doesn't tell you remaining space on the SD.

Does anyone know where I can down load an english manual for the C6?

Thanks
Kendb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:52 AM   #2

I see what you mean, first the C5 info screen, then the C6 info screen (fromSteve's upcoming, not yet existing,review), for photos:

[align=center][/align]
It doesn't have theunused memoryforvideos either,what aboutthe info for audio recordings? But the C6 still always gives the estimated number of photos and video recording time left for the given format selected, is that not good enough?:

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 11:42 AM   #3

What I'd like to know is how you're getting those pics from the upcoming review???

Heh heh :G

Oh, another funny thing: how come the C5 pic @ 2592x1944 = 2.6 MB, whereas the C6 pic @2816x2112 = 2.4MB, how does that follow??
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
[...]Oh, another funny thing: how come the C5 pic @ 2592x1944 = 2.6 MB, whereas the C6 pic @2816x2112 = 2.4MB, how does that follow??
This is normal for JPEG. JPEG, being a lossy format,basically throws away any image information that is not needed. JPEGdoes really well compressing smooth color variations, not as well with hard edges. So if you take a photo of just a clear blue sky the generatedJPEG will be a fraction of the size of a photo of a dense autumn forest at the same resolution. I suspect the JPEG compression detected a lot of detail in the magazine rack at theleft in the C5 photo and used up more data to preserve the text detail there whereas the C6 photo mostly hasobjects with smooth color variations. If you have a digital camera you can test this easily by taking a photo of a blank wall and a photo of something with a lot of edges, like a library?

Oh, andkeep in mindthat the C6's image before JPEG compression is 17MB, so JPEG really does a pretty good job at compression.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 2:56 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip on remaining time. That is very good, and possiblymore informativethan a simple percentage. I've only had my C6 a couple of days andhadn't noticed that one!

BTW I found Sanyohave a page where you can request a manual and they emailed me a pdf version same day, even though they (Sanyo Australia)don't have the C6 on their web site! I'll be reading it in detail to see if I missed anything else.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 3:28 PM   #6

Hey, could you e-mail me that PDF?

Just click on my name, there's a way to get my e-mail address that way. I would most appreciate it!:G
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:08 PM   #7

Actually, if you could upload the C6 manual on one of these free hosting sites, I am sure several people would like to be able to download it.

Thanks

scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 6:55 PM   #8

Sorry I don't have a clue how or where to "upload" the file. :?.Sanyo sent me the pdf from;

http://www.sanyo.com.au/aim.aspx
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:11 PM   #9
Administrator

scrambler wrote:
Quote:
Actually, if you could upload the C6 manual on one of these free hosting sites, I am sure several people would like to be able to download it.

Thanks

http://www.steves-digicams.com/dl/sanyo_vpc-c6.pdf

Here's the English language manual for the C6.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:49 PM   #10

not 100% satisfied yet....

I would like to be able to see that selection menu on computer screen.........when I sit camera with screen closed menu pops up on computer screen but there is no option for camera
remi is offline   Reply With Quote