Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 22, 2005, 3:17 AM   #1

Does anyone have the drivers needed to use the C6 as a PC camera? The manual says they come on the CD but no such luck.

Thanks
Kendb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:03 AM   #2

According to the C5's software manual you need to have Windows XP SP2 installed (and they say to install Windows Messenger 5.0), then you simply need to select "PC Camera" from the camera'sUSB menu.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:55 AM   #3

I had a US version Sanyo Xacti J1 still camera (took motion jpeg also) and it hooked up to a PC as a webcam with no problems. You had to load the USB driver, even for XP OS.

I just bought a black DMX C6 from a guy in Japan on ebay. Unit was Japanese model with Japenese manual, all accessories, 1 Sanyo CD with Ulead on it and a USB driver for Win 98. XP hardware wizard doesn't like (recognize) this driver.

I can't believe Sanyo requires Win Messenger and SP2 just to get the Web Cam function to work. There must be a driver that will make this cam work. I still use Net Meeting for teleconferencing.

Anyone know of a work around, or driver to make the patch???

chanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:41 PM   #4

XP Pro SP2 has a number of camera drivers but no Sanyo or generic driver. Sanyo's web site says;

*2:
Installation of supplied driver required for Windows 98. For other systems, install an OS standard driver.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:17 PM   #5

Using hardware wizard, generic drivers will not be recognized. I have found several generic XP PC cam drivers on the web. Looking for feedback on which will work and how to install on machine with XP Pro, without SP2. (IT dept. doesn't want SP2 on machine.)

Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2005, 2:34 AM   #6

---
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:20 PM   #7

My VPC-C6 works perfectly as a webcam. See attached photo.

Have the screen flipped open and plug the camera into the docking station. You may have to hit the standby mode button on the docking station if the camera is in charging mode. The screen then asks you if you want "Card Reader, PictBridge, PC Camera, or Cancel" Choose the PC Camera option. The C6 woman will then say "PC Camera" and my computer pops up a bubble saying a USB video camera was detected. A "USB Video Device" is then available in my computer. Click on it, and it will say initializing PC camera and off you go.

If you put the C6 in the docking station with the screen closed, the computer only recognizes it as a card reader, as far as I know.

The video is OK quality and comes in at 320x240. The camera screen is blank and all the camera buttons are disabled. It seems that the only things working on the camera is capturing video and pumping it through USB.

I used windows movie maker to record a little bit of it, and even at high quality setting 640x480 30fps, it seems like movie maker just upscales the video from its native caputre resolution at 320x240.

I have not installed any of the included sanyo software or drivers. Maybe doing so will give me more control of the camera through the computer or better video quality, but i am skeptical.

My computer has the latest SP2 updates and what not. Everything was autodetected and I had to install nothing.

Pretty nifty little feature.

P.S. The first time I tried hooking up the C6 to the computer, whether for PC camera or card reader mode, it did not work. No matter what I did, the computer did not acknwledge anything being connected to it. Miraculously, after using it for another day and trying it again, everything all of a suddened worked when hooking it up to the PC. Have not had a problem since.
Attached Images

double0jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:02 PM   #8

Thanks, Double O,At least someone has got it to work. Are you running XP Service Pack 2? I don't have SP2 loaded and tried what you did. Windows went through the motions (hardware wizard etc.) but never found the driver for the camera.

I'm still looking for someone who can get this driver out of SP2, so someone (like me) can install it using the hardware wizard.:roll:

I have a DMX C6, I hope its the same as VPC.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:18 AM   #9

DAMN IT!!! It just erased my whole post, so I will try it again.....uhggg. My zip file is too large for the forum, so I will post it on my web space.

I have no idea if this will work, but its certainly worth a shot.

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible if you computer goes up in a puff of smoke (They always say that sort of thing when you start messing with system files).

Create a System Restore Point before doing any of this. If you are not familiar with how to do that, you may be in over your head. So, without further adieu:

All the files are from C:\WINDOWS\system32 except for ks.sys and usbvideo.sys, they are from C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers.

Additionally, most of the files had some sort of "... SP2 ..." in their description, so this would emply that SP2 is required for the camera to work.

First, I recommend extracting the files to another folder besides your system folder. I think this would be the safest approach. When you are installing the device, direct windows to that folder and hopefully it recognizes the drivers.

If that does not work, you might try copying them to your respective systems folders as described above. A windows expert would probably seriously object to this approach, but I guess its worth a shot. You will probably have to overwrite some existing files when pasting them in, so MAKE SURE TO BACK UP.

BTW, all files should be virus free, I just installed Norton 2006 as you can see from my picture in the previous post.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~oleander/USB%20System%20Files.zip

double0jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:47 AM   #10

I just tried the C6 as a web cam on my recently aquiered laptop qhich runs XP Home, and it came up and found its own drivers!

Attached Images