Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:48 PM   #1

Hi, being new apologies if this is in the wrong place. I'm really interested in the Xacti C6 because of size and weight. I'm going snowboarding in 2006 followed by climbing Mont Blanc later on. I want something that will capture these moments and the Xacti C6 seems to fit the bill. However, I don't want to get up the top of Mont Blanc only to find the video camera won't work! Would you guys recommend this camera? Will the colour balances etc be ok being that most of the pics will be lots of white and (hopefully!) clear blue skies?¬* Snowboarding will involve some movement so is it likely to 'pixelate'? Thanks for any info or help......
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:39 PM   #2

I plan on doing the exact same with mine. I just got mine from warehouse123.com, and as far as I can tell, all the outdoor video looks amazing. I dont forsee any problems with it on the mountains.

One small issue, batteries dont work as well in cold weather (and the manual confirms this), so a back up battery may be a good idea.

The real trick now is to figure out how to mount this little guy to my helmet

double0jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:02 PM   #3

Thanks for that...noted. Will be interested in knowing what type of mount you come up with!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:29 AM   #4
Administrator

Keep it in your warm pocket when not shooting video. Disable the digital zoom option and only use the real 5x optical zoom. And definitely have a 2nd battery for backup as even the Li-ion batteries will lose a certain amount of their normal power when used in lower temps.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:01 AM   #5

Samsung sell a sports camerawith an optional remote lense that would attach very easily to a helmet. It's similar in size but I havn't seen any comparative reviews.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Camc...les/scx105.pdf
Kendb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 5:37 AM   #6

Thanks guys. Another battery looks a must! I looked at the Samsung which is a great idea but looks like its let down with image quality and the ability to only record around 10 mins when on high quality! A couple of questions on the Xacti - (1) Can you record with the screen in the closed position and (2) Can you download the pics and movies to a mass storage device (i.e. a USB hard drive)without needing a PC (would be easier taking such a device rather than dragging a laptop with me)?¬* Thanks again.
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:10 AM   #7

• Regarding cold weather:¬* what happens is that batteries drain incredibly quickly, so you'll want to take back ups.¬*
    • ¬*[/*]A former colleague once filmed up a mountain using Beta, and he had to keep the camera rolling throughout the journey there, so it wouldn't freeze up. ¬* He said that his batteries, which usually did 3-4 hours each (this is a large, professional camera) only did about 20 minutes each.¬*[br][br]Be careful of rapid temperature changes too¬* - bad for any equipment.¬* (So don't keep it nice and warm next to your body then suddenly expose it to freezing wind).
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:31 PM   #8

You CAN record with the screen in the closed position, but it'll be closed with the screen facing outwards (shudder...). Also the power button is inside there, so you have to turn it on then flip the screen which will consume precious seconds. The tripod mount thread is plastic not metal, so itis likely tobreak. This is a small camera but it is tall, so all that lever arm is going to put a lot of stress on that thread. It may break just bouncing around...
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:47 PM   #9

Hmm - so I would need to make some sort of custom mount that protects also - better look on the apple site for inspiration! Owch - and the the new HD model is official now.....
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:11 AM   #10

kendb:

Review of Samsung Miniket SC-X105:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

Bottomline - !! TERRIBLE !! - worse than the Xacti prototype C1 (aka. Fisher). "Helmetcam" has a fixed-focus lens with low-quality CMOS, probably similar to those used in security cameras or pinhole cameras.

Maybe slightly better than other non brandname MPEG-4 recorders because it has an optical zoom, but definitely no match for the Xacti or Pana !!

Nessy:

Qs. (2) - you can use USB to connect the Xacti (or any other digital cameras) to transfer files (still pictures or movies) to an "OTG external hard drive". You can buy these ready-made "digital wallets" or "photobanks" with the hard drive already installed.

Steve has reviewed some image storing devices:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html

Image banks work for still pictures, but I am not sure if they would recognize non-still files eg. MP4 (that Xacti makes). If you are considering one of the brandnames, make an enquiry to the manufacturer.

If you don't mind a little bit of minor installation yourself, you can buy an OTG drive enclosure and a hard drive separately at a fraction of the cost.

I posted a link about cheaper non-brandname OTG external drives before:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...rum_id=52&

The second link is my personal experience - that particular device DOES work for non-imaging files (as a matter of facts, it will transfer ANY types of files automatically). My main concern is that some OTG storage devices may not recognize and transfer MP4 files since this is a relatively new thing in digital camera/ camcorders.

If you are looking for bargains you should search on the net eg. Google, with the keywords "OTG hard drive" or "on-the-go hard drive" (yes, hyphenated otherwise the search engine won't look!) or "OTG drive enclosure".

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote