Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 1, 2006, 5:17 PM   #1

Hi All-

Can someone please give me the best DVD Burner recommendations to go with my C6? Should I get a standalone burner/player and if so which are potential good ones to buy?

THANKS in advance.
undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:04 PM   #2

Undurdog-

Yes,a separate DVD software program is the best way to go. I use both Sonic, Neroand NTI. Sonic is very easy.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:10 PM   #3

mtclimber again thanks for the help. what i am really asking for is shouid I get a dvd burner that I can hook up the C6 directly to through s-video and burn straight to DVD. if so what are some good DVD burners i should buy?

thanks!!!!
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:04 PM   #4

Recording from your C6 to a DVD recorder is probably the easiest way to transfer your videos to DVD. Howeverkeep in mind that when using a DVD recorder your videos will go from digital on the C6 to analog (S-/Video out), then re-encoded into digital again by the DVD recorder. Doing it on a PC itwill go direct from digital to digital, therefore will preserve morequality,andenablesmore sophiticatededits and proper DVD menus.

I'mnotawareof DVD recorder reviews, however I have used a Panasonic DVD recorder and it does a good job.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:30 PM   #5

Caelum THANKS for the great information. I was affraid of this answer because now i need to buy a more powerful computer. i was trying to avoid that! but i guess i will spring $$$ and buy a sweet system with a dvd burner etc...

maybe in the meantime i could buy a standalone dvd burner just to be able to go straight to dvd.

lots of choices and $$$ to be spent
Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:47 AM   #6

I got a LG hdd/dvd recorder for the TV, plus a pioneer DVD burner for the computer. I'm probably going to be using the pioneer for recording from this camera. Why is that? I have found that the audio from the camera needed quite a bit of "compressor" editing. No, not the AAC or MP3 compression algorithms, but dynamic range compression. The problem I had was that the microphone gain seemed to be quite low for anybody but the cameraperson (me). Here's what it took to adjust the audio:

1. Convert a .mp4 video to .avi using mp4cam2avi (it works fast and good), and simultaneously convert audio from AAC to MP3
2. Use VirtualDubMod to demux the MP3 audio track
3. Use Audacity to compress, compress, compress the dynamic range over and over. I think I started with 7:1 compression at -17dB, then 4:1 compression at -15dB three times over. This is what it took to quieten my voice and to amplify everybody else's voices.
4. Save the audio track as another MP3 with Audacity.
5. Use VirtualDubMod to replace the audio track and save as a corrected video.

These are freeware editors for the most part, and perhaps there is a commercial video editor that works better or does all that audio processing in one automatic step. I'm thinking the ultimate solution is perhaps a different setting on the camera somehow, or running it with a little more understanding. I'd hate to have to do so much post-processing to get a useful audio/video clip from it. For one thing, by reducing the dynamic range over and over, that seems to have added some distortion into the audio. The audio is still understandable, but now sounds tinny.

For one thing I think I had wind noise reduction turned on as well as dolby noise reduction, those settings may have been inappropriate for indoor recording -- same as for talking while hand-held filming.

I always wondered about "noise reduction" anyway, I thought that was about reducing hiss caused by recording from an audio tape. There should be no hiss when recording onto memory card, isn't that right?

Incidentally, I had a good close look at the Finepix F10 sample pictures and compared to the Sanyo E6 pics, here is what I think (assuming F10 vs E6 is about the same as F11 vs C6). The Fuji pics looked really good in comparison until about Iso 800 or so, and Iso 1600 was definitely worse than the Sanyo. The Sanyo always had some discernible noise on large monotone patches but only if you blew it up to 1:1 ratio. The Fuji tended to have a lot less discernible noise. But as Steve pointed out, this usually will not be noticeable on pics printed at "normal" size, I guess 4x6. On the other hand, most people want 6 Megapixel so you can make big blow-ups if you ever want.

Steve's conclusion about the Sanyo E6:
Bottom line - The Sanyo VPC-E6 is a great digital package. I loved using it, in fact when going to family events this holiday season, it was the one I grabbed for my personal photos.

Why did Steve use this for his own personal pics over something like the Fuji, despite his aggrievement over the auto-focus shutter button? Something doesn't quite add up there.

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:36 AM   #7

thanks for the info. i will look into all of it. not your fault but my head is spinning from all this.

thanks
uD
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:14 PM   #8

when i used mp4cam2avi to convert a mp4 to avi i only got sound using wmp how do i add video as well on the convert (easily)? is it possible?

thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:22 PM   #9

For what its worth-

I purchased a Philips 642 Divix DVD player for $55 or so.

- I then convert my .mp4 to Avi with mp4cam2avi (be sure to convert the audio to Mp3) this is really quick and I usually join mp4's to single avi while at it.
-Next I simply burn the Avi files along with jpg pictures to a DVD (data) Presto
-The Philips player plays the Avi nicely and I have a back-up copy for my computer also with no digital to analog converson.
-Only drawback is you can't share with friends who don't have a divix dvd player.
Jeff0242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:48 PM   #10

thanks for the divx dvd info.

one simple question for anyone:

how do i share my video in wmp format? i want to be able to host the files somewhere and then email people a link to where it is hosted have them download a wmp file because thats what most people have. i dont want to start explaining that they have to download QT etc etc.

is this possible? i tried mp42avi but when i played the file back in wmp i only got sound no video. so i am a little lost. i think i need to dl divx but then that means so will everyone else and that probably more comp[licated then gettting QT.

any suggestions for me?

THANKS!!!!