Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:05 PM   #1

Hi,

I am brand new to this board, I am an installation artist/photographer/critic that needs to be able to take quick stills of work as well as videos of performance art/ installation art for reference and also possible publication (low end), and I am considering purchasing the C6with a "kill two bird with one stone" mentality, plus i just love gadgets in general. I have a new 60GB Video IPOD, and I was curious ifit willshow these videos the C6 makes. I have read the specs front to back and I am still confused. I know it makes mpeg4 file and the IPOD willshow that, I am just curious if it actually works. If so, I will go buy the camera tomorrow (well order it at least...a little help on places to help me save money would be appreciated). If not, or there is an excrutiating long process to convert the movies, I may search abit more. I figure someone on this site has a viedo IPOD and this camera, maybe you could help me out, and if not maybe you could send me a camera and i could figure it out (jk!!...kinda). Any help at all on this subject would be great, I am very excited regardless. Thanks again!

Steele
thejager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:56 PM   #2

Steele-

That is a good question. As an I-Pod user myself as well as being a Sanyo C-6 afficanado, I would love to be able to combine both outstanding instruments together. Let's hope we get some great answers!

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 12:44 AM   #3

Steele,

I recommend you read through the "library" of information. This thread http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=27&page=7contains both sample videos and a discussion on where the best place to buy. As with most forums, its pretty convoluted, but reading through all of it will probably answer questions you didn't even think you had yet.

I recommend buying the C6 from warehouse123.com, thats where I got mine.

Find some sample videos and putthemon your iPod Video. And of course, please let us know how it goes.

GL
double0jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 1:50 AM   #4

Thanks, I just don't appreciate the sarcasm. Nevertheless, I just downloaded the airplane video from Steve's review of the C5 (i figure they are both mpeg4), put it into ITUNES, and it recognizes it as a movie andi can play it. But when I try to move it to my IPOD it will not let me and gives me an error message. (The same error message i get when i try toput certainwebpodcasts on my ipod), it says it is not the right kind of file thatthe IPOD will read. Though when i look at the information on the file, it reads as a .mp4 file. So i am not really sure where to gofrom this point without having the camera. Any ideas anyone?

Steele
Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:03 AM   #5

What sarcasm?* It went over my head if there was any!* (Or did someone already delete/edit?)If you try http://discussions.apple.com there are several relevant forums, on the video ipod, as well as iMovie and related apps.* *I use the Final Cut Pro forum there, and get really quick, useful responses to even obscure questions about video editing, conversion and compression.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:03 PM   #6

I have a video ipod and i know from experience that it will only play mp4 video at 320x240. If oyu have taken full screen 640x480 you will need to convert it using a program such as Videora or PSP Video 9. I have tried this and it does work

An interesting thing i am going to test is if you shoot video on the c6 at 320x240 and copy it directly to the ipodwill it let you play it without any conversion, i'll test this later. I use the apple ipod camera connector and its really useful for copying stuff from a full memory card onto the ipod good for when you are on long trips.
michelob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:12 PM   #7

awesome!! let me know if changing the format on the C6 will make it go directly on the video ipod. I am so excited if it does, let me and everyone else know!! This would be huge for me trying to sell some of my art! Thanks!

Steele
Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:50 AM   #8

OK, Here's the scoop. Video for the iPod is compressed using the H.264 Standard. Apples implementation tags the resulting files as an m4v. If you wanna syndicate podcasts, use that format. The easy way is get QuickTime Player7, and buy the Pro upgrade. With that setup you can convert and export just about any format to m4v, iPod ready.

Hope this helps.
Dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 1:26 PM   #9

Dunno wrote:
Quote:
OK, Here's the scoop. Video for the iPod is compressed using the H.264 Standard. Apples implementation tags the resulting files as an m4v. If you wanna syndicate podcasts, use that format. The easy way is get QuickTime Player7, and buy the Pro upgrade. With that setup you can convert and export just about any format to m4v, iPod ready.

Hope this helps.

But why pay for that when you can do it just as easily with free programs ?
michelob is offline   Reply With Quote