Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 2, 2006, 4:08 AM   #1

It seems like the C6 is capable of getting better low light video performance. In low light conditions, when you half click the camera button, the LCD flickers and flutters and autofocuses, then it seems to gain up the brightness of the picture you are viewing on the LCD screen while you still have the button half depressed. The screen continues to show this brighter picture as long as the button is half clicked. As soon as you let go of the camera button (without taking a picture), the screen the gain downs the brightness to the original level.

It seems that if you could somehow record video during this gained up phase during the autofocus, much better low light video could be taken.

I have played with all the ISO and scene selection features, and none of the low light setting have nearly the effect of this gained up autofocus. Its almost like the camera increases ISO way above 400 (3600 for video?), but I did not think that was possible.

Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas what is going on here???

Is there an infran view equivalent for videos that would give ISO information?

double0jimb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

i was dissapointment w the low light of the c6 also. you care talking about half press in photo right and not video?tehnacally the lcd is just boosting the brightness of the lcd when half press for stills. I think the only option we have is to use the max iso of ISO 400 (3600 as claim). the lens kinda sucks w the aperture of f3.5 -f4.7... if it has a f2 lens then this toy would have better low light capabilities. I just hope it gave us a manual control of the shutter speed so that we can shoot better at low light even at 1/15 or lower (for some people who doesnt mind having a strobe like feel of it.well.. i wonder if the new 3ccdÂ*Panasonic SDR-S100 SD Camcorder can do better? too bad i saw it right after i bought my c6
pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3

pork wrote:i wonder if the new 3ccdPanasonic SDR-S100 SD Camcorder can do better? too bad i saw it right after i bought my c6
Quote:
MPEG-2 recording? No thanks......
dcpmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:03 PM   #4

Try putting the C6 on 'fireworks' 400 iso and manual white balance. Maybe this wil satisfy you a littlebit more.
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:47 PM   #5

Camcorderinfo has a review of the Pana SDR-S100:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

Only gets a 4 for low light performance - but no direct comparison with the C6 since camcorderinfo did not review it (only the C1 aka. Fisher).

Also still picture performance is only mediocre - to start with it is 3.1 MP. The Sanyo Xacti C series has always been praised for its still picture quality.

I believe even though these are all hybrid cameras, the Pana is primarily marketed as a "camcorder" with still ability, whereas the Sanyo Xacti C-series is marketed as a "still camera" with video capability. I guess it is hard to get the best of both worlds.

Although the low light performance has been addressed in the C6, I still find the fast moving or dimly lit videos a bit blocky/ fuzzy (see demo clip from Sanyo site). However, I am happy to sacrifice some performance for its tiny size. I'll probably wait for the HD1 to come out and the C6 price to drop to find a bargain, just the same way I bought my C4.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:44 PM   #6

I'm waiting to hear back from Joe at warehouse123 about a warranty through them on a VPC-C6 (as suggested, thanks). I learned from Sanyo that they would not honor one given they aren't selling them in the US yet!

I'm a point and shoot user of a Panasonic minidv and am wondering if those of you with more know how think that it's possible the new toshiba announced at CES (http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/6409.html) might be a another decent option in the up to $800 USA price range?

I'm interestedprimarily ina good quality camcorder (without tapes or dvd limitations),with a decent zoom and good low light video, with still camera shots as a bonus? I'm not going to spend the money for the new SONY harddrive and I know the Everio models don't seem to have good video quality. Can you tell anything from the specs released yet?

collinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:33 PM   #7

Hi,

I observed the same thing. Looked at the exif for this candle light picture and it said

iso 3600 !!!! But when pressed video the video did not appear to exhibit the same gain! the 3x3 matrix processing claimed in the adverts have not seen any affect? I was expecting the the video to look like the candle light pictures. Filmed a night scene expected image intensification did not get any. How do I get maximum low light behavior for video!!!!

I like the manual Focus !

I like the user defined white balance!

But the flash white balance is why out especially when done indoor lighting.
deal2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 12:20 AM   #8

Bart1981.....you rule! great setting love it!!!
remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:40 AM   #9

Bart1981 wrote:
Quote:
Try putting the C6 on 'fireworks' 400 iso and manual white balance. Maybe this wil satisfy you a littlebit more.
how do you set to manual white balance?? tis it the eyedropper icon? if so what do i set that to?

hanks

undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:53 PM   #10

Just take a piece of white paper. Hold it in front of the camera and press the 'set' button. Now the camera automaticly adjust the white balance. And yes it's the eyedropper icon.

undurdog55 wrote:
Quote:

Bart1981 wrote:
Quote:
how do you set to manual white balance?? tis it the eyedropper icon? if so what do i set that to?

hanks
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote