Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:16 PM   #21

Hey all-- I was at the CES and unfortunately didn't check out the Sanyo section, but I suppose the coverage is good enough. I have been reading some of the threads in the Sanyo forum and have seen some grumbling about the C6's low light performance (although not from everyone). Anyone know if this camera will share similar problems? I can only assume so because I haven't seen anyone mention an increase in low light performance.

Maybe its just not possible, but it would be great if they could change the flash to a video light/flash or maybe use something like Sony's Nightshot. Sure, it made video green, but it wasn't just a blank picture. just my 2 cents
Greygooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:44 PM   #22

Keep an eye on upcoming review (as a "camcorder") of the Xacti HD-1 on camcorderinfo - this is their "first impression" post:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

They will be able toprovide detailed review with respect to the ((camcorder)) performance of the Xacti (but not as much for the still camera aspect).

Since most of the camcorders they are used to reviewing are miniDV (or equivalent quality), plus, the only Xacti they have reviewed (unforunately) was the C1 (aka. Fisher), they did notreport any "good" first impression, even before the actual testing.

Yes, I believe the Sanyo Xacti (and most digital camera "video modes"), which are MPEG-4 formats (eg. MP4, MOV) (or MJPEG of digital still cameras) are no match for the miniDV format video quality right now, but who knows maybe MPEG-4 is the future (coupled with faster chips/ processers and larger flash memory), which allows true miniaturization.

Sometimes I wonder: current miniDV tapes can record up to 60 min (90 min with acceptable slightly lower quality setting), so why don't manufacturers consider applying high-bitrate MPEG-4 (to minimize quality loss) on miniDV tapes? Surely you can squeeze 25-50% more onto the miniDV tape! This would be the same as the s-VHS format (higher definition than the VHS format) in the previous generation of camcorders, just before VHS-C got phased out.

I guess the answer is: applying new technology on recycled hardware does ((NOT)) make money!!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:24 PM   #23

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
[...]MPEG-4 formats (eg. MP4, MOV) (or MJPEG of digital still cameras) are no match for the miniDV format video quality right now, but who knows maybe MPEG-4 is the future (coupled with faster chips/ processers and larger flash memory), which allows true miniaturization.

Sometimes I wonder: current miniDV tapes can record up to 60 min (90 min with acceptable slightly lower quality setting), so why don't manufacturers consider applying high-bitrate MPEG-4 (to minimize quality loss) on miniDV tapes?[...]
I think that's the key, "right now". The C6's MPEG-4 bit-rate is theoretically high enough for great VGA video, howeverthe C6doesn't haveenough processing power to take advantage of it. Even a powerful PC, which consumes hundreds of watts of power, cannotencode highest quality MPEG-4 in real time yet. However, give a powerful PC some time and it can really produce excellent quality MPEG-4 videoat reasonable bit-rates. So I think for MPEG-4 to really mature in portable devices it will take better, more powerful, dedicated video processors.

Thanks for the link. :lol:It's funny how hedetests it even before he touches it... comparing it to the "big" $2K Sony HDR-HC1. Comments do point out some errors. I really think this thingwill appeal toApple iMovie HD users since it's files are directly supported for editing.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote