Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:24 AM   #1

01/03/2006

Sanyo today announced the new Xacti HD-1 at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. The new HD-1 is based in large part on the Xacti C-6 and will be available in late March. The HD-1 features high definition recording at 720p as well as the standard 480 x 640/30fps with a full 10X optical zoom and digital zoom to 100X. Visible improvements include a new and larger lens, as well asa re-positioned flash unit on top of the digital camera with double the flash output of the current Xacti C-6. More details will be released later this week.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2

We cansee the easy to switch"HD/Norm" (1280x720 16:9 / 640x480 4:3) button right next to the "On/Off" button on the inside, cool.

[align=center][/align]
But it doesn't appear to have the "pixel mixture technology" (max manual movie ISO 1600), too bad!
Read all about the HD1at SanyoDigital! (features, specs, photos, interactive demo)
Can already be pre-ordered from Amazon! (only available April 15, 2006)
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:46 AM   #3

and i just got my c6 anyone want to buy it kidding! i will upgrade to this but i am glad i bought the c6 because i cant wait anymore i already missed so many moments by waiting on the c6.

how good will the picture quality be over the c6 like night and day?
undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:06 PM   #4

~~~AWESOME~~~

I'm liking the internal 10x optical zoom, the OLED viewfinder, and more manual controls. The HD format is nice too though I can see that consuming memory card space like a bandit (40 minutes HD video with 2GB card). I also like the external microphone jack & brighter flash though that is going to eat up precious battery capacity.

I'm not liking the lack of "pixel mixing" which really helps out low-light video on the C6, I mean it really works nice. I would also have liked to see optical image stabilization, threaded lens, automatic lens cap, better automatic controls, external flash hot shoe. Oh, they mentioned the ability to connect a 2GB memory card but this unit really calls out for 4GB, which will probably be a lot cheaper by April, I'd like confirmation of compatibility with 4GB cards. Incidentally I called up London Drugs and asked about trying out one of their 4GB SD cards on my C6, they said "ferget it bud". I could buy one, and try it, and return it, but they didn't have one on hand even. Oh well!

I bet that sometime this year, the boom is going to drop on hybrids like this: I bet Sony gets something improved over their M2 and the other guys (Fuji, Casio, etc) re-package their excellent cameras in this kind of camcorder form factor and equip them with decent MOV/DIVX/MP4 video compression. And yea, they shall have external microphone jacks, and flash hot-shoes, and threaded lenses, and yea there shall be 4GB compatibility, etc. anon.

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:27 PM   #5

As far as form factor, Sanyo has obviously hit it out of the park with their C5/C6, but ultimately, I had to take a pass due to their low light indoor capability and am forced to go with the Fuji F11. Not quite as small, doesn't have the 5x zooom, doesn't record in Mpeg 4, but takes a helluva lot better pics in low light...and with NO flash. Talk about stealth.

I will definitely keep future upgrades of the C6 within my sights, though. Ultimately, I do believe that it is the best form factor out there today.
theranman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:44 PM   #6

Heh, funny isn't it, no matter how snazzy a camera is, it still has tobe able to take some decent pictures!!

I like the form factor but here's what I would improve: I would lengthen the body and mold in some finger indents, and put some grippy rubber trim so you get a good, fullgrip on that thing. The LCD display is great... for right-handed people (sorry but it's true). I'm right-handed, but the more sinister amongst us probably don't get as good use out of it. I would add some dedicated buttons for exposure, focus, etc. The styling doesn't look all that ultra-modern to me, actually it sort of harkens back to8mm film cameras more than today's camcorders. Lastly, I think I could steady it better if I held it with both hands like a normal camera, it is 1-handed operation only.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:13 PM   #7

This little camera is an absolute KILLER product. I was patient enough to skip C1-C6 generations (although I tried C1from Sears a few years ago but returned it back to Sears due to multiple issues).

Now they seem to have fixed every single issue I had with C1 plus they gave HD and 10x zoom!!!

I just can't wait
stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:57 PM   #8

CNET has a little video of a correspondentmanipulating the HD1 at CES, not very informative but interesting.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 5:16 PM   #9

Not worth waiting for me. Most of the time one will find shooting video in 640x480 mode anyway. The 10x zoom is useless without tripod. Sounds strange, but this device is practically equivalent to c6
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 7:01 PM   #10

Androxylo wrote:
Quote:
Not worth waiting for me. Most of the time one will find shooting video in 640x480 mode anyway. The 10x zoom is useless without tripod. Sounds strange, but this device is practically equivalent to c6
No doubt, for one without an HD TV set this toy is rather pointless.

stain is offline   Reply With Quote