Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:48 AM   #11

FIlmchick wrote:
Quote:
I used to use a Canon S400 which took excellent photos. I sold it in hopes that I could use the C6 as my one-for-all camera. I figured I'd only print 4x6 photos anyway...maybe the digital noise wouldn't bother me. However, even web resolution of some of my images are clearly sub-par. Needless to say, I am actually shopping for a Canon SD450 so I can have a decent still camera again. I'll still keep the C6, but it won't be the only camera I keep in my pocket ever again.
I have a big question. Suppose I'm not satisfyed with c6 photo quality. What would be the best camera(s) that:

1. Belt wearable

2. Trash c6 in photo quality

3. Can take 640x480 30fps videos with reasonable quality and within 2-3 times bigger in size than c6 video, so that I can fit acceptable amount of video on 1gb card

Canon SD450? Casio EX-S500? I suggest we all pick 2-3 best competitors and nail down the differences.

Thanks in advance!
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:50 AM   #12

Ooops, woodyc, thanks, my mistake. Casio have very good MPEG-4 movie mode, they use the older Microsoft MPEG-4 v1.1 codec at a higher bit-rate and PCM mono audio, so the files a little bigger. Only thing is there seems to be more "MPEG blocks" and stutterwhen there isscene movement(like with a pan).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:50 PM   #13

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Ooops, woodyc, thanks, my mistake. Casio have very good MPEG-4 movie mode, they use the older Microsoft MPEG-4 v1.1 codec at a higher bit-rate and PCM mono audio, so the files a little bigger. Only thing is there seems to be more "MPEG blocks" and stutterwhen there isscene movement (like with a pan).
How would you rate Casio still images vs. c6? Are they"more" better than their video mode is worse than c6? Thanks...
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:23 AM   #14

I'm almost sure that the exilim z750 has better still image quality based on all the good feedback it received from the major review sites.

I think a few things the C6 is better than the z750, based on the specs, would be the 5x optical zoom, image stabilization (movie), the ability to shoot stills while in movie mode (although the s600 has this also), and the lens doesn't extend (minimizing lens problems).
woodyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:44 PM   #15

I haven't bothered to install any of the CD software on my Mac (running OSX.4.4, previously OSX.4.3 when I first bought the Xacti).* I plug it in, turn it on, and it gives me a four-option screen on the Xacti.* The top one is "Card Reader" - press the select button, and after a little whirring, an unnamed external drive appears on your desktop.* There it is!* Just open it up, and copy across whatever you want.* You can also delete files from the Xacti this way - drag them to Trash, but remember to empty your trash before you unplug the Xacti (unplug by first dragging the drive icon to Trash/Eject, then unplug it, or the Mac complains).* I would check iMovie and iPhoto for you, but weirdly they're not on my computer.* Not sure why, unless I deleted them for some reason (or maybe they don't come free anymore?)* FWIW, both the video and audio play in iTunes and of course QuickTime.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:50 AM   #16

The C6 works great with my iMac. Never even bothered to install the software. Just plug in the dock, click the connect button, and the drive shows up on my desktop and iPhoto launches. Both pics AND movies can be copied into iPhoto (I didn't realize this), or edited by iMovie. I'm also using OSX 4.3.

mcsenerd wrote:
Quote:
Furthermore...I'm a Mac user and I'm also concerned about the compatibility with iMovie, iPhoto, etc. I know this is a lot of info...but I assure you all that I'll appreciate every single opinion recieved both positive or negative.
bobmatnyc is offline   Reply With Quote