Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:31 AM   #1

THE PROBLEM I am having is that in sunlight, the LCD display is absolutely bleached out.* I literally can't see anything.* HOWEVER WHEN I press video record, the brightness reduces and while it is filming, things look fine and I can see what I'm doing.* STOP RECORDING and the screen bleaches out again.* LIKEWISE WHEN I take a still photo, for the second that it grabs the photo, the LCD screen reduces to a normal brightness.* BUT BEFORE that point, I literally cannot see what I am trying to film (as a comparison, it's like trying to take a flash photo through a camera viewfinder at night, before the advent of LCDs, you have to try and guess where you're pointing).* JUST TO PRE-EMPT:* I have tried turning the LCD brightness down to lowest, and turning of the backlight.* THE REASONS FOR these stupid capitals is because using these forums on a Mac, there is no way to put any formatting in, not even line breaks - if I press the code buttons above I get an "Invalid Entry" error page, so I thought the capitals might make things more legible.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:52 AM   #2

Just to let you know that I have noticed the same behavior while using my C6 over the last three weeks. I've never found it that it washes out the LCD completely so you can't see the scene, just makes it difficult to judge how the scene will come out. But yep it is a nuisance and I had assumed that it's just one of the camera's little quirks.
Panita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:36 PM   #3

Thanks for replying - at least I know it's not just my imagination!* Do you think it is a fault in our cameras (eg a faulty batch) as no one else is reporting it?* Or is it because it's currently winter, so not many people are filming sunshine yet?* (I'm in the Gulf, so it's pretty much brilliantly sunny year-round here).
Old Jan 14, 2006, 7:21 PM   #4

Interesting theory about winter, i like that. I was filming in Mexico BTW
Panita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 4:43 AM   #5

I think it is not the fault of the LCD screen but that of the auto exposure control in the camera itself, depending on your setting it should adjust the CCD sensitivity to the ambient level, this sounds like the camera is actually adjusting for a much darker ambient light so it could be faulty. However watch out that you have not set it to manual somwhere
tranworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 5:06 PM   #6

I tried every single setting to fix it, but nothing worked.* When you actually start filming it does set the exposure to a suitable level, and the LCD looks ok again.* As soon as you stop:* it's bleached out.* Very odd.* Likely a fault I think, but the most important thing is at least the actual video is coming out ok.* The other way round would be unbearable.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:41 PM   #7

Mine does the same thing. LCD bleached out in bright light, but darkens when actually filming.
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote