Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:11 AM   #11

• . Re conversion:* depending how long the clips are, I would aim for no more than 300kbps.* With relatively static shots (like interviews) you should really be able to go for 200kbps.
  • .*I am currently using a 240x180 size, but 320x240 is also nice.
  • .*http://www.secretdubai.com/videoblogfaq.html has some info about compression setting that I wrote.* You can also see my settings there - my files are only 100kbps, so imagine how much better 200 would look (this is why I think going above 300kbps may be unnecessary).
  • .*A good flash converter is Sorenson Squeeze, though there are probably cheaper options available.* I like Flash a lot, it is good format.* A new flash codec comes out soon as well.
  • . Other than that, tripod, tripod, tripod is my main advice to you
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:44 PM   #12

istara:

Good idea with 240X180 pixels (160X120 is probably too small even on a 800X600 monitor resolution setting!). Most people set their monitor res well above 800X600, so maybe 320X240 is a better idea.

Also, you may want to keep the bitrate a bit higher than absolutely necessary (I agree 300 kbps is a good compromise but minimum) - depending on what monitor resolution people set, they would zoom to see the video clip (or worse, doubleclick for a full screen!!): this is when all the extra bitrate helps to reduce blockiness and fuzziness of the video.

However it all depends on how large the file turns out to be, how much you are willing to compromise the video quality, how much bandwidth you have on your website, how many people you are expecting to see the clips etc.

Just my two cents and personal opinion.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 6:08 PM   #13
Administrator

woodyc wrote:
Quote:
wow, you really do love the xactis.

Just wondering how many C5's you got . In the C5 review, you had mentioned that you got one from plemix but in another post, you also had a sharper-image edition.

steve wrote:
Quote:
I love my Sanyos, got a C4, C5 and C6,

I had a C1, gave it to a friend. Now I have a C4, C5 (Sharper Image blue version from someone on eBay) and the black C6 that we'll be posting in a fullreview very soon. I've also hadtwo other C4s and one C5 thatwent to friends.

They are great for most things except indoor flash pics beyond 3-5 feet
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:49 PM   #14

istara/blindsight

Thanks for such a great explanation.

I downloaded those program to give them a try. I am playing with it.

check this link: http://www.edwardrodriguez.com/Video...t1Mbps_001.swf

It is just a trial. The video does not look good, even though the original from the C6 was excellent.

Maybe I whould play a little bit more with the settings. I converted to flash on sorenson.

Check it out.

jimpiterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:52 AM   #15

When I opened it it opened full screen, so looked pixellated.* When I reduced my browser window to a quarter size, it looked way better.* Really nice quality.* I think - if the file really is 1mbps - that is probably way too high, unless you plan to offer varying sizes, eg like Apple do with their movie trailers.* The only other thing that is problematic is the sound.* You may find, if you want to achieve A1 results, that you need to record the person's voice separately, and resync.* I'm yet to be convinced of the quality of the Xacti mic (sadly it doesn't seem that you can plug an external in either).
Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:37 AM   #16

Istara, you are right with the sound. What I am thinking is to get as close as posible to the subjet. Hopefully, there will not be to much background sound.

In terms of video quality, I have not tried it in a "real" situation for my purposes, like in a conference room, but where I have tried it I think, so far so good. It is the audio that may be an issue.

You are perfectly right! this is a 1bmps video. If I remember correctly, I even made it 2x smaller than the original size. But how could I make it look smooth and small, like on your blog using Sorenson Squeeze. I dont want my visitors to rezise their brownsers jut to get a better quality. On your site I did not have to do that and still the quality of the video was good.

It would be very nice If I could give my visitors the choice of vidio size. I have visited many sites where they have given me the option and whan I check the different speeds (dsl, 56k, etc) still, the image does not look as pixelated as mine.

I played a lot with Sorenson Squeeze but for some reason I could not make it to play smooth. That's the reason I made it 1bmps. But as you noticed, you had to adjust your browser to make it work.

Any thoughts?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:56 AM   #17

Here are settings I used to make 230kpbs files for a specific project that mainly involved interviews, shot medium close up (ie from approx the centre of a man's tie to the top of his head):http://www.secretdubai.com/images/squeeze230.jpg
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:08 AM   #18

Perfect! I will try that. Did you convert to AVI or you went straight from MPeg4?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:27 AM   #19

I used this for footage with a different, pro-quality camera, which I exported first as MPEG4, then converted to Flash.* I used to use software that said it was better to pre-compress before Flash conversion, but interestingly Squeeze doesn't actually require it.* Your Xacti files are already compressed though, so it won't matter either way.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 8:26 AM   #20

Thanks Istara. I will try this and report back to you. I will be aout for a few days, so when I come back I will post the results.

Thanks for all your great help.