Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 23, 2006, 6:51 PM   #21

With respect to the audio: The C6 can be capable of fairly good audio, but what I found is that most of the time your subject is too quiet and the cameraperson (myself) is too loud. I got around this by adding another audio processing step.

So I use MP4CAM2AVI and create my AVI file with PCM sound (or MP3 sound, either way), and I use VirtualDubMod (a little better than VirtualDub and which does support MP3) to copy the audio track into a separate file. Then, I use another freeware program called "Audacity" to load in that audio track for processing.

What I do then is run an effect called "compression" which compresses the dynamic range of the audio. Some of the video editing software packages have this, but with Audacity you can reallytweak the audio and get what you want. I've found I'm able to compress and boost the audio very nicely for excellent results to where all the audio sounds as if it were approximately the same level - PERFECT, and best of all I have almost no idea whatsoever what I'm doing. Then I re-save the audio track, then go into VirtualDubMod and replace the audio stream, and save the edited video file, and it's done!

Incidentally I tried out the Ulead editing software that came with the C6 and didn't like it much, I got Cyberlinks' Power Director v5 instead. Far better. It does exactly what I need, and again with nearly no idea what I'm doing.

Actually I think this illustrates the chief disappointment people have with this camera: the camera seems to require quite a bit of post-processing to get good results out of it,and there's a lot of hassle in all that post-processing. On the other hand, this is an excellent opportunity for an application author. If there was a single software program that fixed the audio, fixed the video noise, fixed the white balance, in effect did all the editing that is necessary to get decent results, then I would buy that program and enjoy it immensely! Until then I have to suffer with MP4CAM2AVI, VirtualDubMod, Audacity, Noise Ninja, Irfanview, and Power Director.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 8:44 PM   #22

Thanks Grunchy.

Wao! You really know your "stuff". You are right. This is one of the challenges with this camera. I wonder if I should have bouth the Casio Exilin z750 (I am not sure If I got that model right).

I will keep playing with it and see what happens. In the meantime I am making a note of all of those programs you use.

Thanks again.
jimpiterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:11 AM   #23

An alternative to using an audio editor to adjust sound:

When you use MP4CAM2AVI, convert the AAC audio to "PCM (uncompressed)", and leave the video data "as is". De-compressing from AAC to PCM does not take too long (definitely much quicker than converting video!). Then you can open the converted video in VirtualDub (not VirtualDubMod) - In VirtualDub, you can manipulate both audio and video components - one of the audio functions is volume adjustment.

http://www.virtualdub.org

As a matter of fact, VirtualDub has most if not all editing functions Grunchy is looking for: fixing audio, fixing video noise and white balance, and many more. VirtualDub does not have a good user interface, but all the editing functions are there if you know where to look - "Video" --> "Filters" --> "Add", or "Audio" --> "Full processing mode" (default is "direct stream copy") --> "Audio" (yes, again) --> "Conversion" (frequency/ bitrate) or "Volume" or "Use advance filtering" --> "Filters" - there you get long lists of editing functions.

The VirtualDub manual has some explanation and a few suggestions on settings used for the filters. If you want to know more, this is very useful:

http://www.doom9.org/virtualdub_procedures.htm

You can learn much more from this DVD tech site:

http://www.videohelp.com

(left menu "How to" guides)

Because of poor user interface and complicated menus and filters, VirtualDub is probably more suitable for enthusiasts than average users who want push-buttons and no-hassles - VD has lots of manual options and tweaks but no automation. However, this program is freeware afterall and very versatile once you get to know it.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 3:44 PM   #24

When you use MP4CAM2AVI, how do you leave the video data "as is"? I did not know you had any options when converting the mp4 to avi.
Jeff0242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 4:30 PM   #25

jeff0242:

Attached Images

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:41 AM   #26

Okay, I thought that was just dealing with how it handled frozen frames.
Jeff0242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:25 AM   #27

VirtualDub is a fantastic program, I used that to create some demonstration videos at my previous employer, it takes a little getting used to but allows effects to be applied to individual frames, if you want. Now that is precise control! I had a look and it does indeed have a lot more video filters than I knew existed, like noise reduction, shake reduction, etc. It appears that for audio editing such as dynamic range compression, they still recommend an external audio editor, which is too bad.

The last freeware program I use is called "free commander" which is a file management software, sort of an alternative to windows explorer. It has one special function Iuseto make sure I don't lose time/date info from processed video files (then I eliminate the original recorded file to save disk space).
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 3:16 AM   #28

Hi there 1 I can recommend really good proggy that converts video to flash without any quality lossless. here it is: http://geovid.com/Video_to_Flash_Converter/
Theora is offline   Reply With Quote