Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 11, 2006, 6:55 AM   #1

Hi guys! Thanks a lot for so much information that have allowed me to narrow down my choices. I am a public speaker and I have been looking for a video solution that allows me to take video testimonials at the end of my presentations on the spot. I need something small that fits in my jacket/shirt pocket. That's why I am choosing the C6. These are my concerns:

1) is the Sanyo C6 the smallest mpg4 digital camera for taking videos?

2) Will this camera low-lighting feature allow me to take this video testimonials in most event rooms -like hotel conference rooms and still be good enough for posting on the web? (most of the testimonials from conference attendeeswill be around 2-3 minutes long- I will probably get 5-10 testimonials per presentation)

3) What is the best 2gb Card that would be compatible with this device?

4) Will I be able to convert the mpg4 to flash (or other "instant play" format) so I can stream it out of a website? This is where the rubber will meet the road for me. The main purpose of me getting this camera is to get testimonials from my presentations on the spot and then post them on a website, and as I said, all of my presentations are conducted inside hotel conference rooms.

What do you think, will this camera be good for me or do you think I should wait for the HD1?

Thanks a lot. I have learned a lot from all of you in this forum.

jimpiterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:58 AM   #2

• [/*].You can get good results with the Xacti, but if you want excellent results, you need to film those testimonials in a place with good light.* Even filming with a professional video camera, the light in conference rooms is usually appalling, and if you force up the gain it becomes horribly grainy.
  • [/*].For the best results - even highly compressed - you need to start with the very best footage.* If you need a really "polished" look, then the Xacti may not be for you (in my opinion - I haven't tested it with much interview footage yet).* I have recently been making some highly compressed (~85-100kbps) H.264 .movs, some of them from 3CCD camera footage, and some from Xacti C6 footage, and the difference in quality is - unfortunately but understandably - startling.* See here:* http://www.secretdubai.com/vlogfiles/ - "jamalcamel"and "creeksunset" used the 3CCD.* "sunslip" also used the 3CCD, but was on maxium digital zoom, so you can see the drop in quality.* The other three files were from Xacti C6 footage.
  • [/*].I don't want to sound negative on the Xacti:* it has met my expectations and I am delighted with it, but my main reason for buying it was portability and fun, not for taking high quality footage.
  • [/*].You will definitely be able to convert the Xacti footage to anything you like.* If you would like any tips on settings feel free to pm me.* *My most important tip to you would be to keep the audio as high quality as possible, no matter how much you compress the video.* *
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:20 PM   #3

Istara, thanks a lot for your imput. It seems that you are very knowledgable on this.

I tried the link but it does not work. Could you re-post it?

For my video testimonials, i don't need a professional quality video. It just have to "feel" right. The important thing is what the attendees say about their experience in the seminar. But of course, it has to be acceptable. Also keep in mind that the final "resting place" for these videos is going to be the web and not on dvds or anything like that.

Do you think it would work base on my needs? It should be good enough for the message on the testimonial to be seen and heard but not so bad that the quality of it would distract the one watching.

What do you think?

Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:41 AM   #4

• .[/*] Hello - I messed up that link - try http://secretvideo.blogspot.com
  • .[/*] I think for you the most critical thing will be using a tripod (you can see the difference in quality that makes also in my files - the 3CCD camera always used a tripod)
  • .[/*] So I think it could work - if you can sort out the lighting (maybe even try that ultra-bright LED someone suggested?), work out really good compression settings, and use a tripod.* Because the C6 is so light, you can get away with using a lightweight stills camera tripod, which will also be cheaper than buying some huge, heavy pro-end TV gear.
  • .[/*] Sound is another issue:* again I haven't done many tests with the C6's microphone, but I imagine it's omnidirectional (meaning it will pick up as widely as it can, not just straight in front of it) so you would want to film your testimonials in as quiet a place as possible (ie minimise crowd noises).
  • .[/*] I find that interviewees often want a copy of their interview on CD - in this case, you will have to advise them that it isn't going to be DVD quality, but most people are flattered enough by seeing their own face to overlook quality anyway!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 12:06 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for your answer. Do you know what? I tried watching the video on my home office computer, and I can't. Then came to my actual office, tried again and the videos do not work. I can go to the site, I see the video picture, but when I click on it, it gives me like a broken film strip icon.

Is there anything wrong?

Thanks.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 3:02 PM   #6

I put a help page up there - you do need QuickTime 7 installed (which is free).* Even if you have it, sometimes it needs to be reinstalled (I am not sure sure why).* But this does mean that the H.264 codec will work properly.* Re the camera:* my current concern is that the audio may not be great for your purposes, but I am trying to test it further.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:10 PM   #7
Administrator

I love my Sanyos, got a C4, C5 and C6, but for what you are doing you'd be better served using a good camcorder. With the DV interface it is simple to export the video into a PC for streaming web use and the quality will be much better, especially the audio.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 8:02 PM   #8

Thanks Steve and Istara. Well, I just got my c6 today from Broadway Photo for $539.00 that included 2nd day shipping, free desktop tripod, xtra clone batery, lense cleaner. Everything sems to be brand new including english manual.

I am trying it. What I like about this camera is portability. The quality of the videos for my testimonials does not have to be superb. The testimonial is more important than the quality of the video but should not be distracting. As both of you have commented, then I have to check now is the quality of the audio.

I will check it and I really hope it works. These testimonials will be 2-3 minutes tops. It will just get the impresion of someone that would liked attending one of my seminars. They normally approach me at the end of them. If I like their comments I would ask them if they would like to say that on camera. If they agree, then I would pop the camera out and start recording.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Istara, I was able to see the videos. Thanks. I think they may be acceptable for me. Lets see how they look inside one of the hotel rooms that I present at.

BTW, how would I convert the mpg4 to flash or a good streaming video format for the web?

Thanks in advance. You have been very helpful.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:36 AM   #9

wow, you really do love the xactis.

Just wondering how many C5's you got . In the C5 review, you had mentioned that you got one from plemix but in another post, you also had a sharper-image edition.

steve wrote:
Quote:
I love my Sanyos, got a C4, C5 and C6,
woodyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:29 AM   #10

jimpiterson:

RE: converting MP4 to flash or video streams

Since most people are PC users and not Mac users, they are not likely to have QuickTime installed. You should convert the MP4 container into AVI container format first, with MP4CAM2AVI:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi

Tip on MP4CAM2AVI - under video, click <leave data "as is">; convert audio to another format, like MP3 or PCM (= uncompressed - in case your video editing software does not read MP3, like VirtualDub)

You then need a popular MPEG-4 codec to play the modified video (now as AVI) - the most recommended are XVID (open source freeware) and DIVX (latest DIVX 6 is payware but older codec DIVX 5 is free - I don't find significant video quality improvement since v.5):

XVID - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Koepi_XviD.htm <---- !! I recommend this !!
(there are actually two versions developed by different people, but get the latest version no matter which author)

DIVX - www.divx.com
(NOTE: all the links to older FREE DIVX v.5 codec are gone, and the newest DIVX 6 codec are trialware with time limits)

Once you have one of these codecs installed, you can play it on any players (including Windows Media Player) or use most popular video softwares to do editing and conversion (I use freeware VirtualDub).

I don't know much about webpage building but you can use one of the many avi-to-flash converter to make flash movies (do a web search "convert AVI to flash" or "convert video to flash").

OR: convert the clips to WMV (Windows media format) with Windows Movie Maker, and leave a link on your webpage - I don't particularly like Micro$oft video format but I still recommend you converting to this format because Windows media comes with all PCs with Windows OS, so when people click on your video links they won't get a popup window asking for installation of players and codecs - you lose many potential viewers because (1) people don't want this hassle just to see a clip (2) people are afraid that when they click on something, their computers suddenly ask them to do things they don't understand - our "computer virus awared" generation (I mean "aware", not "understand").

(Mister Bill G., we bow to thee for your almightiness!!)

If you decide to stream your clips, make sure you make the filesize as small as possible - ie.

Decrease the screen resolution (eg. to 160X120 or 320X240 pixels - for shrinking the screen, choose "precise bilinear" in resize filter if you are given an option).

Decrease the video bitrate (eg. to 300-500 kbps).

Windows Movie Maker automatically re-encode the audio into WMA (compressed). If you are using other softwares you can choose to convert the audio to a compressed format like MP3. You can further tweak the sound quality (eg. change stereo to mono, decrease audio bitrate) to reduce the size further, but probably not much.

You can change all these settings with the editing software. You should watch the final clips to decide if the filesize and video quality are adequate, before posting them on your website.

FYI, to understand MP4, AVI, MPG etc (these are not simply file extensions but "containers"), this is very helpful:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...threadid=62723

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote