Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:42 AM   #1

In my 3 weeks or so with the C6, I think my biggest difficulty is with low-light video performance. When it comes to photos, you can significantly lighten the pictures by using the incandescent light setting (at much lower resolution) or by using the night setting (assuming you can steady the camera). The use of these settings makes a significant difference in the brightness of low-light photos.

But no amount of fiddling with the settings has made any appreciable difference for me in the brightness of low-light videos. I've followed many of the suggestions on these threads for improving low-light videos (not including adding a supplemental flash), and they just don't seem to make any difference. The brightness of the video (or lack therof) is pretty much the same no matter which setting I use.

I'm wondering whether other C-6 owners are having the same experience, or whether maybe something is wrong with my camera?

And if somebody really can brighten up their low-light videos through the use of different settings, comparison videos taken under automatic and custom settings would be much appreciated.
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2

Here's an interesting story about low-light sensors taking clear photography down to 1 lux... when they come out, I will buy one :G

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#nano

Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:51 PM   #3

Me to ! I am very disapointed in the video performance. Also can not actually prove that camera is using ISO 3600 for videoS and the 9 pixel matrix technology!!!!!

Yes the performance of the candle light 0.3M pixel is great. But I was expecting more from the video.
deal2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 9:38 PM   #4

deal2live wrote:
Quote:
Me to ! I am very disapointed in the video performance. Also can not actually prove that camera is using ISO 3600 for videoS and the 9 pixel matrix technology!!!!!

Yes the performance of the candle light 0.3M pixel is great. But I was expecting more from the video.
One of the things that convinced me to buy the C6 were the videos posted on this page by ristraman. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=71450&forum_id=27&page=4

These videos purport to show a huge difference between the low-light performance of the C5 and C6. And maybe there is a big difference between the 2. I don't know because I do not have a C5. But if there is such a huge difference, all I can say is that either my C6 is defective, or the C5 must have been absolutely miserable. Because when I take videos with the C6, they come out quite dark unless they are taken outside or in a very well-lit room. And no amount of fiddling with the settings makes a difference for me for videos in lower light.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 9:32 AM   #5

gusher1 wrote:
Quote:
deal2live wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

One of the things that convinced me to buy the C6 were the videos posted on this page by ristraman. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=71450&forum_id=27&page=4

These videos purport to show a huge difference between the low-light performance of the C5 and C6. And maybe there is a big difference between the 2. I don't know because I do not have a C5. But if there is such a huge difference, all I can say is that either my C6 is defective, or the C5 must have been absolutely miserable. Because when I take videos with the C6, they come out quite dark unless they are taken outside or in a very well-lit room. And no amount of fiddling with the settings makes a difference for me for videos in lower light.
Quote:
I am just comparing to VPC-C1 the oldest verson of this camera. I have tried to contact sanyo, to try and get some technical specs!!! TO evidence of ISO 3600? But for lamp pictures I get ISO 900??
deal2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:53 AM   #6

deal2live wrote:
Quote:
gusher1 wrote:
Quote:
deal2live wrote:
Quote:
I am just comparing to VPC-C1 the oldest verson of this camera. I have tried to contact sanyo, to try and get some technical specs!!! TO evidence of ISO 3600? But for lamp pictures I get ISO 900??
I think what you may be referring to here is that the still pictures (in lamp mode at ISO 900) come out MUCH brighter than videos which are supposed to be at ISO 3600. That is definitely the case for me.

I'm still wondering whether there is a defect in my camera. The C6 video posted by ristraman (referenced a couple of posts above) looks to have been shot in a pretty dark room, but the video comes out looking pretty good. Based on the apparent amount of light in ristraman's video, I have to say that my videos come out much darker and look more like the C5 video posted by ristraman, not the C6 video. Unless the room in the videos has much more light than I think, I have to say that my C6 is not getting the same low-light video performance as I thought it would based on ristraman's videos.

Again, I'm wondering whether other C6 owners are able to produce videos in low light approximating that one from ristraman, or whether they come out looking more like ristraman's C5 video?
Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:54 AM   #7
fdf

I just got my c6 from warehouse123, and so far I'm pretty impressed.
I'll try to attach a cut down frame of video from my c6 and my Minolta z3.
I like lots about my z3, but low light video is not good. If I turn on every light
in the room, and maybe bring in an extra lamp, it's just barely usable. The c6
is lots better. The only thing I have to do is set the white balance--no "fireworks."
I don't know if my expectations are different from other people's, or maybe since
I just got my VPC-C6, it has a new program, firmware revision. Does anyone
know how to check what level of firmware a c6 has?

--Fred

Attached Images

fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:18 AM   #8
fdf

Good--looks like my image uploaded.
I should add that I had only the ceiling, overhead light on in the room.
That light contains two compact florescent bulbs--not all that bright.
Here's a comparison from zoomed in parts of the video.

--Fred

Attached Images

fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:39 AM   #9

I'm not unhappy with the C6 low light performance. It does require playing with the filters a bit, as well as a steady hand, but you can get some good results. Here are a couple I've taken.

The NY Times pic was hand held with no flash and counter halogen lights (not bright ones).

--b
Attached Images

bobmatnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:48 PM   #10

fdf wrote:
Quote:
I just got my c6 from warehouse123, and so far I'm pretty impressed.
I'll try to attach a cut down frame of video from my c6 and my Minolta z3.
I like lots about my z3, but low light video is not good. If I turn on every light
in the room, and maybe bring in an extra lamp, it's just barely usable. The c6
is lots better. The only thing I have to do is set the white balance--no "fireworks."
I don't know if my expectations are different from other people's, or maybe since
I just got my VPC-C6, it has a new program, firmware revision. Does anyone
know how to check what level of firmware a c6 has?

--Fred

Fred, my C6 videos in medium to low light look more like your video frame from the Minolta. I would not get anything as bright or clear as your C6 video frame in anything but a very well-lit room.

I'd like to know the answer to your firmware question. I'd also like to know whether one can get an exif reading from a video frame. I'm starting to seriously wonder whether there is something wrong with my C6, and I'm wondering whether my camera is getting the same results, and whether I could find out by comparing exif statistics?