Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 25, 2006, 1:02 PM   #11

Another reason to _not_ go for HD model is that it may require you to purchase new CF cards, as old ones might not be fast enough. You need at least 40x of _write_ speed - check your existing cards.
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 3:37 PM   #12

The HD uses CF cards? Not SD?

Androxylo wrote:
Quote:
Another reason to _not_ go for HD model is that it may require you to purchase new CF cards, as old ones might not be fast enough. You need at least 40x of _write_ speed - check your existing cards.
bobmatnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:00 AM   #13

bobmatnyc wrote:
Quote:
The HD uses CF cards? Not SD?
I apologize - it was a typo :-)
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:48 PM   #14

Btw, HD1 is huge! Look at the pic: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28930
Old Jan 30, 2006, 4:24 PM   #15

We're very happy with the video from our C6. I shot about half an hour at my daughter's birthday party on Saturday, including several minutes while skating. While I'm very comfortable on skates, what made it work was being able to pop the camera in and out of its belt bag (I got a small digicam bag to store the extra battery and SD card) and keep skating. Try THAT with your typical camcorder!

If you're looking for standard quality home movies, I don't think you'll be disappointed, as long as you keep in mind that:
  • Movies are going to be a bit "harsher" then uncompressed DV. But there's a HUGE benefit to working with MP4s vs. DV -- non-real-time copying! I've got dozens of mini-DV tapes that I haven't digitized. All of the clips I've taken so far with the C6 go right to the computer in only a few minutes;[/*]
  • You need more light than typical, though the C6 has (apparently) made great strides. I've taken a few videos in low-light situations (birthday candle lighting), and there definitely is graininess, but its not a major concern for us;[/*]
  • The camera is definitely susceptible to motion, even with the image stabilization system. I think that's a result of the MP4 compression as well as the light weight of the unit. Both still and video markedly improve when extra care is given to hold it steady and pan slowly. Having said that, I was able to get some pretty good shots while skating in both directions! (See <a href="http://youtube.com/w/Lily%27s-Birthday-Skating-Party?v=7F6MCWx1SaU">here</a> if you're interested, note that the video quality is greatly reduced -- I stepped it down for uploading, and YouTube uses that flash movies at pretty low res).[/*]
--b
bobmatnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:56 AM   #16

Androxylo wrote:
Quote:
Btw, HD1 is huge! Look at the pic: http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28930
I think it's the way it's being held, hand in background. in this photo with hand in foreground it looks small (click for larger):

Based on this side-by-side it doesn't look much bigger than the C6, it looks likeit's primarily the lens that's bigger (click for larger):

By the way guys, notice that the HD1 uses a different battery (1200mAh instead of 700mAh):

Images from Watch Impress.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 1:33 PM   #17

Btw, today is the day when c6 is officially awailable in US, with all warranty, exchange and support. You can finally dump those "broadway photo" scamsters :-)Yesterday it was still in "pre-order" mode. Go to J&R.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 12:05 AM   #18

I just saw that HD1 is available at plemix.com for 799. Looks like they are already shipping HD1.
maulviganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:51 AM   #19

I'm trying to decide myself. I'm impressed with the HD1's video quality, even on a regular CRT computer monitor, it looks very crisp. I own two HDTVs so that would be a plus.

I will be doing a lot of recording in clubs though (extremely low light) and don't see anything about nightvision on either model though. Anyone know if either has it? I'm pretty sure I saw that the C6 does (not sure in video mode or not) but didn't see anything on it for the HD1.
Goldfingiz is offline   Reply With Quote