Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 21, 2006, 1:08 AM   #1

Hello,

i am a novice in camcorder, more in mpeg4 camecorder and i am looking for a little light cam to carry with me everywhere to capture family and vacation.i d'like agood enough video quality that i can easily record and playon my computer and also play on my TV screen 26'' with good sound and picture. i don't plan to do anything else.

will the C6 be sufficient for me and my use or should i wait for the HD1?

Thanks for your help.
luisde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2

buy a c6 for the BEST price possible then wait till the hd1 comes out and decide (you can sell the c6 on ebay then). bottom line the video is good enough (if your not looking for incredible quality video) .

for capturing family moments etc etc etc its AWESOME! think of all the video you WONT caputre until April if you do not buy the c6 now. in my book get it and start capturing.

my 2cents
undurdog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:10 PM   #3

If your 26" TV is a regular CRT, then the HD1's high res. video will be wasted on it, the C6's video will look fine on your TV. If you plan toget an HD TV within the next couple of years, then maybe you can wait. For your PC, unless your screen horizontal resolution is at least 1280, the HD1's video will need to be downsized, so again it won't take advantage of the full high res..
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 2:18 PM   #4

As clearly stated by Caelum and Underdog, if you dont have plans for an HD TV, the C6 is definitely sufficient. In addition, in order to be able to play real time HD on your PC, you would need a fairly recent one with a powerfull graphic card. You would probably end up using the HD1 at Video resolution which defeats its purpose.

This being said, even if you do think of HD in the future, there is something else to consider, and it is the form factor. The HD1 is clearly bigger than the C6 about twice the volume, and so it wont be as portable as the C6. I recently had the same dilemna, I do plan to have an HD TV and a powerfull PC in the future, but figured that the C6 will remain a valid device for me or my wife to carry ALL the time. I had a Mini DV in the past, and although very compact, just because of the size, you would not carry it all the time, and as a result, we almost never made videos except at christmas, or special events. With the form factor of the C6, there is an opportunity to capture many more things on video, by having it in your bag ALL the time.

I am sure that at one point there will be an HD camcorder as small as the C6, but it will take another year or two, so by then the C6 will have completed its task.

My 2cts
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 7:58 AM   #5

Hi Every One,

Just bought my Sanyo C6. I was considering the Canon S80, the Panasonic LX1 and FX9 for the past 2 months or so; the LX1 and the S80 cost US$ 50 more while the FX9 costs US$ 100 less. I finally settled for the C6. My model is from Japan and costs US$500 which includes a 2G Sandisk Ultra II and a spare battery. I am amazed by the light weight and convenience of the C2. Snapshots which I took are acceptable; they cannot be compared with bona fide video cameras which cost 2 times more or with those Leitz and Zeiss lens still cameras. However, I am really happy with it. I will be carrying it with me often when I go out. It fits very nicely in my shirt pocket. The neck-strap provides extra security.

Thanks to Steve and members of this forum in helping me to arrive at this decision. I would like to say that this is a fun camera which encourages people to use it often. It is the same as the Panasonic FZ1. I bought it when it first came out and used it quite often. However, it is still "bulky" and requires a bag for carrying it around. The C6 is my new fun camera. I am sure that the HD1, when it comes out, will be better than the C6. The question is when will it come out and how much will it cost? If it doubles the price of C6, I don't think that it will be worthwhile because there are good camcorders with Zeiss lens for about that price. One also has to consider that cameras nowadays become "old" after 1 year. The C6 will continue to be a fun camera for 3 years or more. So don't wait and have fun.

my 10cents
oldy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6

thanks all for your comments, very useful,i think i am going to buy a C6 after reading your post.

Now where is the best to buy one? There is a lot for sale on ebay but no warranty in the US!!!!! if i have a problem with the cam it is dead to repair it here and for this amount 450$ it is a major issue ?

thanks.
luisde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:47 PM   #7

This is very dependant on your comfort level. I too hesitated a long time, but finally could not wait any more and got one on Ebay for $388 +$45 shipping.

Now it is expected to be available in the US in february which is not far away, although the unknown is what will be the street price when it does. We saw the price for import go from $599 to $380 in about a month , so it is hard to predict if the US reseller will hold the initial price or not.

Clearly import models do not carry a warranty, but if the price is lower enough, you could argue that the difference will pay for a possible repair. Given the fact that it looks like Japanese models (DMX) and international models(VPC) are the same, I suppose that we can still get the imported model repaired by Sanyo Fisher (you could eventually call them to confirm). In addition some Cie like apparently Warehouse123 seem to offer their own warranty on the camera.

So it is a balance between cost / peace of mind / delay.

Happy thinking
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:31 AM   #8

The Japanese differentiate between goods sold in Japan and for overseas. Many people believe that cameras, etc. made for the home Japanese market are better than those shipped overseas. I tend to agree with them.

If the C6 from Ebay is a genuine made in Japan one and is sold for less than US$400, I would say go for it. They usually give you some kind of guarantee. Even though the made in Japan C6 only has a Japanese manual, there is no problem, because you can download the English one from this site. One can also change the language of the C6 to English and several other languages.

Welcome abroad.
oldy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:19 AM   #9

I suspect that HD's 640x480 mode will be worse than c6's as they won't have 3x3 pixel matrix. So you will be forced to shoot only in HD mode just to have acceptable quality. That will burn your disks and battery. You will be forced to keep several 2Gb cards and a spare battery - it all will come costly. For me - not worth it.
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:23 AM   #10

luisde wrote:
Quote:
Now where is the best to buy one? There is a lot for sale on ebay but no warranty in the US!!!!! if i have a problem with the cam it is dead to repair it here and for this amount 450$ it is a major issue ?
C6 is on sale at Amazon from Feb 3rd, just a week from now. J&R has no date but I suppose they should not trail Amazon by too much.Forget Ebay.
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote