Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 24, 2006, 5:54 PM   #1

Hey so everyone probably knows this put unless you pan REAL SLOW you get breakup in the image. If you go with a "faster" SD card does that help? Any other suggestionsto improve this besides slow pan?
kennesawgawest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2

My card is a Sandisk Ultra II which is a 60x card (9 Mb/s),which implies thata 1x card is 0.15 Mb/s, but a card that slowmust be quite old.. as in, from last year at least!

There are two 640x480 recording modes with the C6, HQ (2 Mb/s) and SHQ (3 Mb/s). To use HQ you need a card capable of a WRITE SPEED of 14x at least, and to use SHQ your card must be capable of a WRITE SPEED of 20x at least. As I say, mine is handily capable of these speeds so it seems to suffer no problems, even with relatively fast pans, though I must say I haven't tested the limits of its ability to record panning.Then again, I haven't noticedthisproblem yet.

I'd recommend, find out the WRITE speedrating of your card. There are cheaper alternatives to the Sandisk card in 2GB size and 60x speed,and even 40x speed is adequate for recording video on a C6. Incidentally, my card would be barelycapable ofrecording the highest quality video with the HD1, which records at 9 MB/s.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 4:30 PM   #3

Grunchy, you're confusing MB/s (Megabytes per second) with Mbps (Megabits per second). SD speed ratings are based on 1x = 150KB/s, that's Kilobytes per second, not bits. For the C6's highest recording quality (just over 3Mbps ~= 385KB/s) you would only need a minimum 3x read and write speed rated card, which basicallymost 'standard' SD cards meet (typically ~10x-20x).

kennesawgawest, is this image breakup happening on the camera, or when you playback on your PC? If it's only on the PC, then it's yourPC that's not powerful enough (and perhaps you're using crappy Quicktime for Windows).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:17 PM   #4

umm crappy quicktime for windows might be it. the PC is a pretty dang powerful one (new Sony Vios) with 1 gig ram so that shouldnt be it. they play back the same in adobe too though...so no one else is seeing this huh? I was goign to get the faster SD card but apparently it wont make a difference?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 7:54 PM   #5

As Caelum mentioned, the best way to know for sure is to play back on your TV directly from the C6. If the playback is good then it definitely is an mp4 decoding issue on the PC.
scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:00 PM   #6

I dont believe the SD card has anything to do with it. The video from the C6 is first written to a buffer then copied to the SD card. So the two process are separate.

In older digital cameras, videos usually had a maximum video size, this was a limitation of the camera's buffer size. The C6 is able to unload the buffer fast enough to record continuously. Another indication that it uses a buffer is the delay experienced after recording a video, because the camera is finishing unloading the buffer.

I guarantee the problem is with your video playback progam of choice. Try finding the K-Lite Codec pack (standard version), it should give you all the codecs you need to play the video with Windows Media Player.

Side Note, quicktime is optimized for macs, windows media player is optimized for windows, it will give you the best playback.
newC6user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:58 PM   #7

Hey I think that codec worked! Playback is MUCh smoother now with no apparent breakup Thanks for the advice!!!
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:18 PM   #8

Hm, looks like we all learned something new with that question! :G
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote