Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:23 PM   #1

Hi everyone!

Just want to ask has anybody seen the review on C6 from cnet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sanyo_Xacti_...3.html?tag=sub

i really liked the C6, with the 6mp video and still capability and not to mention the size and portability. Also i got sold on Steve's review which is and always very compreshensive with all the sample pics and videos he showed. butwith thisreviewfrom cnet.i got a little concern if i'm really gonna go for it and buy it.also with how they rated the C6 with consthey've laid out and it was rated 6.8 a little over 6.6 rating they gave with the Sony M1.

rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:01 AM   #2

I owned the first version of this camera VPC-C1 I was please with that, but low light and small flash performance was not good. But many pocket sized cameras have problems with flash 9ft to 10 ft is the normal distance. Performance in good light is great.

To be honest this camera will not take the best stills nor the best video, but overall it is at the top of the class. No other camera in class offers good stills good video up to one hour on 1G card.

Speed between shots is average.

Manual focus is available !

And if the flash is weak, or subject is 30feet away use a slave flash eg DF200, which I found works well with this camera.

There is no shoe for video light, but can use a 'L' shaped shoe to attach the camera and light.

I alsouse autoprocure from muvee.com tomake movies using the mpeg4 and jpegs.

deal2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:21 AM   #3

Having used Steve's review of the C6 and taken advice from the various contributions to the forum esp regarding SD cards, I am waiting for my new camera, cards andadd. batteriesto arrive. Thanks for the alternative review and for the advice on improving flash lighting performance. Thanks to Steve for a fabulous facility and everyones' advice. Cheers!:|
GrahamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:36 AM   #4

Cnet is about right with the rating. True, this camera has all kind of troubles in low light. Many photo-only compact cameras, Kodaks and Canons, will make better stills. Bulky camcorders will make better videos.They just don't discount for size and combined features.

Read the forum for hints how to improve that.
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2006, 6:34 PM   #5

Does somebody know something about a firmware update or something like that? Hope there will come a firmware update which will improve the lowlight preformance.
Bart1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 2:13 AM   #6

I find it interesting that CNET says that low light video is where the C6 shines. Low light video is my biggest disappointment. If I were to try to shoot a video in a darkened room with only a 40 watt lamp for illumination, I doubt that you'd see much of anything.
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:19 AM   #7

Gusher, your camera is faulty somehow - you should try to work it out with the store you bought it from, or your credit card. Low-light video should not be that bad. It sounds like your camera is working no better than a C5!

The Cnet review was fair and balanced. I tried "motion director" to try to stabilize the video, it works pretty good, but the resulting video suffers sudden defocusing/smearing at exactly the point where a shake occurred. Lesson learned: I've gotta hold the camera more steadily! Incidentally, I do leave video stabilize on all the time. Cnet got it wrong, the camera takesbetter video than VHS, and moreover with post-processing software the results far outstrip VHS.

Low light photography problems: I've mostly resolved these by strategies like manual white-balance, night mode, tripod, and noise ninja (plus I've got one of those super-bright LED lights coming in the mail). If the light is really bad, there's always lamp mode, which takes flash-free photography in poor light, with fast shutter time, and the results appear as if the room were fully lit. Noise ninja or neat image are must-have applications, luckily you can apply them at any time in the future (if the software is too expensive today, hang onto your noisy images because competition will arrive to drive the cost down eventually).

Low light video: by and large, very good (at least for me). The auto focus is slow so Itend to lock ita lot. Manual white balance is easy to do and makes colors correct, I think that's the most important thing for good images, though some software can correct for white balance. Noise is a nuisance,but does Neat Video ever do a good job cleaning that up. The software is too expensive today, plus the software + computer are just too slow (today). Time will solve this problem too. I'm just going to hang onto my source files and when the right solution comes along at the right price, I'll take care of it. It's a loteasier problem to solvethan trying to convert old 8mm filmstrips to digital video! If my computer were 100x as fast as it is today, that'd be about right for de-noising these video clips - yes, 100 times. Cheap computers should be there in probably less than 10 years.

On boxing day I bought 100 DVD-R discs for $20, that's 20 cents each for about 4.5 GB of long-term storage -- so I'm going to be making lots of source discs, and backups. In the meantime I'm just making sure to document each video and photograph. I think it's safe to say that in the future, you will be glad that you had a camera like the C6 today.
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:27 AM   #8

Cool idea, I will post-process my movies when I retire! :-)

I have a friend who is doing that stuff now, and his bottom is growing dangerously.. No, I better dotravel, bike and ski now and deal with video noise later.
Old Feb 3, 2006, 1:59 AM   #9

Grunchy wrote:
Quote:
Gusher, your camera is faulty somehow - you should try to work it out with the store you bought it from, or your credit card. Low-light video should not be that bad. It sounds like your camera is working no better than a C5
I suspect that may be the case, but it seems odd to me that it works perfectly other than the poor low-light video. Pursuing it with the store I bought it from is probably not an option. I bought from Plemix, and their policy is that you can only return it within 7 days if it was DOA, or if there was a non-intermittant fault. It took me a lot longer than 7 days to realize that I am not getting the same low-light video performance as others. Also, it being a DMX C-6, I have no warranty. Maybe I'll try taking it to a Sanyo service center to see if they can figure out if something is wrong with it. I see from the Sanyo website that there is one about 20 miles away. Anybody have an experience taking any of the Sanyo C models to a service center? Are they familiar with the product and able to diagnose/fix problems with these cameras?
gusher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 10:37 AM   #10

Folks - c6 is already in US with full warranty and 30-days return - don't try to save $50 and then get into trouble! Gusher, it is pity :-(