Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 3, 2006, 7:06 AM   #1

Thanks to everyone for their input on the C6 on this forum - it has been invaluable information & an education for me. Many many thanks to Steve for what is the most informative site on the web for digicams - a very valuable resource.

I've been doing comparisons on alternatives to my previous / currentdiving cameras (3040 + 8080) since I really wanted to expand on the length & quality of the movie clips I can get with those cameras. I have always been able to get at least 8x10's from even the 3040 but very grainy movie clips of course - though still gives friends and family a 'feel' of the underwater experience that stills can't give (those are more for my gratification) !

I looked at camcorder 'hybrids' such as the Samsung Duocam or JVC GZ range but either the still resolution is too low (1 to 3mb) or the underwater housing required is too expensive ( I don't want to spend over US$1,000 in total, camera $ housing, and often the housings are as expensive as the cameras).

The final choice then seems to be the Xacti C6 and although the Xacti HD1 had me wavering the fact that it doesn't include the 3x3 pixel mixture technology for low light situations (obviously very important when diving !) seems to be the deciding facor.

Any comments or alternatives would be much appreciated - I plan to buy the C6 and housing early March.
Frogfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 11:34 AM   #2

We don't know yet how HD1 will behave in low-light situations. Bad: each pixel is mixing only 2x2 instead of 3x3 sensor pixels. Good: there are many more pixels per image, so the eye could get the perception of more light. Good: the optics is bigger, so more light falls on the sensor. Unknown: the sensor itself could be more sensitive (or not).
Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:25 AM   #3

Very glad to know that there is even a housing available for the C6 which I presume can use the housing for the C4. I am a scuba diver too but I am not willing to spend a lot of money for under water camera equipment.

I wonder how much the housing would cost? Has anybody used the C4, C5 and C6 for underwater photos and video? Would be glad to hear of his or her experience.

Thanks
oldy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 2:59 PM   #4

You can get the 10-year subscribtion for "National geographics scuba-diving archives" plus bonus "All sharks in the universe" videofor that price,that's for sure :-)

Androxylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:45 PM   #5

Please note that the housing for the C1/C4 is the EHS 400X whilst for the C5/C6 it is the EHS 500X. So no the C4 will not fit the C6 housing or vice versa.

Most people are saying the low light video capabilities of the C4 leave a lot to be desired so I guess the C6 / HD1 are going to be better for diving.

Check out this site of Ocean Brite (they sell a C6 with U/W housing for US899
They also say they have sample pics / videos taken with a C5 and C6 - but I can't find them (not in their Fuji album as stated) !

http://www.oceanbrite.com/moreinfo.php?id=570
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6

Interesting comments, that is the first time I have seen those arguments mentioned and you may well be right. I look forward to further reviews of the HD1's capabilities (and release of a suitable housing).

BTW I will be in HK next month - does anyone know the current pricing of the C6 there ? And also of the housing - DHS 500X ? Is Wanchai Computer Centre still the best price to buy this hybrid camcorder / digicam ?

Androxylo wrote:
Quote:
We don't know yet how HD1 will behave in low-light situations. Bad: each pixel is mixing only 2x2 instead of 3x3 sensor pixels. Good: there are many more pixels per image, so the eye could get the perception of more light. Good: the optics is bigger, so more light falls on the sensor. Unknown: the sensor itself could be more sensitive (or not).