Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:22 PM   #1

A friend of mine has a VPC-C5 and wishes to be able to download video and audio onto his SDcard sotheyl play on the VPC-C5. For exampleif he can convert MP3s then he could use the C5 on the road to listen to music through the headset.

Cant find anything on the net to say this is possible. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know what sort of file structure the C5 has and if there is anysoftware that would be able to lay down the right files so that they can be read?

Any help appreciated.
exbeebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:30 AM   #2

I've also wondered this. It uses standard .MP4 files withadditional Sanyo info in the header (perhaps thumbnail and stuff). The only reason the Xacti Cx wouldn't play custom made .MP4 is if it depends on the Sanyo specific info in the file header.

Anybody want to test? I've made and uploaded a very short .MP4 (2.8MB),I streched it from letterbox to fullscreen so the aspect ratio won't look right, but it's just a quick test so it doesn't matter. Anybody care to download it and try playing it on their Xacti Cx camera? Note that you will most likely need to rename the file to something like: sany0001.MP4 for the camera to even see it.

Here's the download link: http://rapidshare.de/files/12790521/kktest.mp4.html

Cheers.

Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 5:46 AM   #3

Thanks, I've sent the file to my friend (he's several 100 miles away) and asked him to see what happens.

In the meantime does anyone else have any information or ideas.

exbeebeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:33 AM   #4

(deleted)
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:35 PM   #5

My C6 reads the pics from my wife's kodak LS743 cam. However, the image displayed is very small with no option to zoom in.

As for MP3's, I've tried to quickly convert an mp3 -> mp4, the C6 doesn't read it. Renamed the extension to m4a, still no dice.

I tried converting to mp4 using a variable bit rate setting and my C6 hangs everytime it tries to read the file.

If I have the time, maybe I can dig in deeper and find out the file properties of the C6 m4a file. But I think running off to the nearest mall to buy a cheap mp3 player is a better option. :G
mc_oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:25 PM   #6

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
[...]I have checked to make sure the EXIF info of the picture has been copied onto the modified picture, and camera still will not recognize or play the modified picture.[...]
Thanks for the info blindsight. But are you certain your software isn't strippingany of the EXIF header? Likenon-standard parts it may not recognize. Can you try viewing the attached photo on your C6? Icreated a JPEG image then copied the entireEXIF header from another C6 photo I haveat the same resolution (low res., so I could attach here). Thanks. (Right-click, Save Picture As... to save, name should be SANY0001.jpg)
Attached Images

Old Feb 8, 2006, 6:03 PM   #7

caelum:

TY for posting the modified "C6" picture: I saved it and it can play on my C4 and C6 (which I just bought).

I use Irfanview freeware picutre viewer/ editor, which has a function to read the EXIF data. After saving the picture in different resolution or JPEG compression levels, the EXIF data of the original picture is still there, according to irfanview. However, it doesn't mean the EXACT original EXIF headers (and I don't mean "EXIF info") are there: they may be re-written by the software.

Maybe it is my rather old Coolpix cameras (900 and 990) that are more fussy about what pictures they can play.

As mc_oliver demonstrated, I guess videos are more complicated, and the Sanyo can only render and play files which are compliant with the standard settings (ie. exact screen resolution/ codec (video and audio)/ bitrates of "TV-SHQ", "TV-HQ", "TV-S" settings etc.)
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:26 PM   #8

blindsight wrote:
Quote:
[...]As mc_oliver demonstrated, I guess videos are more complicated, and the Sanyo can only render and play files which are compliant with the standard settings (ie. exact screen resolution/ codec (video and audio)/ bitrates of "TV-SHQ", "TV-HQ", "TV-S" settings etc.)
I'm not sure mc_oliver confirmed it doesn't work, he mentions variable bit-rate mp4? The test videoI posted above was purposefully made with the same format utilized by the C6: fixed bit-rate 640x48029.97fps MPEG-4 video with AAC stereo 48kHz audio. I agree, I don't expect the camera can play any format or variations of MP4 thrown at it. I also agree that it's not aportable media player device at all, but I thnk you must be able to format external data so that it can playback on the C6.

Oh, and based on what you said,I suspect, but am not certain, that the C6 may require the "Makernote" EXIF header entry. Perhaps Infranview discards it? Nikon coolpixs doadd a "Makernote" tag, not all brands andmodelsdo. And I think Sanyo actuallymakesthe Nikon Coolpix cameras. (this web site corroborates, see point 2.).

mc_olivier, did you make sure the .m4a audio file you created matched exactly the format (same bit-rate, kHz, etc.) of those created by the C6?
Old Feb 8, 2006, 8:22 PM   #9

I finally managed to download your MP4 video clip from Rapidshare - and it plays on both the C4 and C6!!!

How did you convert the DVD clip to MP4? Do you use Mac and QTPro, or do you use PC and some MP4 converter for PSP videos?

I have no way to tell what kind of changes irfanview did to the EXIF data.

When I "read" the JPEG file with a text editor, I can see some EXIF data eg. make of camera, firmware version etc. but not most of the picture data eg. exposure, shutter speed. All the rest is just gibberish signs and symbols, I can't really make head or tail.

:O OH MY GOD :O I never know Nikon used Sanyo to make some of their cameras!! The build quality of the Coolpix line has really deteriorated over the years: the best one IMHO was the 950, which is all magnesium metallic body and strong. My 900 was plastic and 990 already has more plastic and less metal. The newer 4500 and now S4 are back to plastic. Well thats the price to pay for more megapixels and powerful zoom!
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:20 PM   #10

blindsight, thanks for testing that! Quicktime Pro on a PC was used to make thattest clip, I don't have other tools to create .MP4s yet. It was a quick single pass encodetargetting 2Mbps, so quality could definitly be enhanced. Ididn't know how to make black bars to fill the screen in QTPro, so I just stretched it up. But with black bars it would have compressed better. The sound should be pretty much full quality stereo, how did it sound on the C6?Must the file need to be named SANYnnnn.MP4?

I bet audio files that conform to what Sanyo uses for their .m4a files would also work. Perhaps they need to be 48kHz? I don't know, I've neved come across an audio file from the Xactis.

I wish I had a C6 to do tests! :G Then I would have a reason to track down mp4 authoring tools. :-)

I used an old command line utility called JHead from Matthias Wandel to copy a Sanyo EXIF header to that custom JPEG. But there are a few Windowsutilities out there to view and manipulate EXIF data, a quick google turned up ExifReader.