Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:46 AM   #1

Just received Sanyo, Sandisk 2 GD Ultra IISD Card and Sandisk 5-in-1 Card Reader/Writer. Took some video clips. Transferred&saved ontomy laptop's hard drive. The laptop is brand new & powerfuland comes with Dell's Media Center, etc. Cannot open the video clips under "My Picture or "My Video" folderuntil I installed the Sanyo Software Pack (2 disks). After installation, I can view these video clips via "Quick Time Player" in a small screen within the screen of the laptop.

My questions are:

1) Any ideas why I cannot viewthese video clipsunder "My Picture" or "My Video"folder of the laptop's Media Center in full screen. I have a 17-inch screen laptop with great graphic & colors.

2) Is is normal & the only way that I have to view the video clips via "Quick Time Player"? Is it because the video clips are inMPEG-4 Format, and is not compatible with the laptop's video format?

3) Any way that I can convert these clips in MPEG-4 Format to VCD or DVD?

Any comments and syugestions?

By the way, the still pictures and video are very sharp.

Thanks. :lol:

byllui is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:31 AM   #2

byllui:

Sanyo Xacti makes MP4 video files. This is Apple movie format which is not directly compatible with Windows movie players, therefore you have to play it with Apple's QuickTime player.

I haven't used QT player for some time, but just like Windows media player, there must be a way to "zoom" or "full screen" the video - look up the menu bar (if there is any) or try right-clicking on the video screen of the QT player and see if there is a scroll menu.

There are two other independent video players for PC I know of that plays MP4 files - Media Player Classic and VLC player. Do a web search for these players if you are interested.

After installing the two CDs that came with the Xacti, you should have Ulead Movie Factory 4 installed, which supports MP4 video files. You should now be able to do editing, convert the MP4 and burn to DVD (and probably VCD, I haven't looked into that) with this program.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:06 AM   #3

Blindsight,

I did find the way to make the screen largest for the QuickTime. However, the quality of the picture is not as good.

I installed the Sanyo ULeas Movie Factory 4, which now I can view the MP4 video files. Then I tried to burn them to VCD and it did not work.

Do I need to convert these MP4 video files first before conversion? Where can get the step by stepinstructionsto convert MP4 video files so that they can be burn to VCD.

Thanks.
byllui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:47 AM   #4

Quicktime for Windows is really a sad program. You have to pay for the Pro version just to view video full-screen (with standard version you can zoom it up, but it's still windowed). And because it's so very poor at playing video, it can't even play video smoothly in full-screen even on fairly powerful PCs. I recommend you use another player, as recommended by blindsight.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 5:33 PM   #5

byllui:

With the Ulead on the installation disks that comes with the Sanyo Xacti, it would support MP4 files, so you don't need to convert it before using the Ulead - you already said that your MP4 files play on Ulead, which means it can do the editing and burning as well.

I don't burn MP4 videos onto DVD or VCD, so I uninstalled my Ulead Movie Factory from the PC. I am not sure if it would convert and burn VCD but I think so. I think you can get a better answer if you go and read the help file of the Ulead. Softwares are very good nowadays for amateur users - they take you through the whole process step by step, asking what you want to do in every step.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:53 PM   #6

You need to convert mp4 to avi before editing to other format (like VCD or DVD).

I use mp4cam2avi. You can download at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mp4cam2avi/

After convert to avi, you can convert avi files to VCD or DVD.
You can use the software like Ulead, TmpGenc, VirtualDub, dll.

There's a lot of information about video editing at http://www.videohelp.com

cikcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 7:45 AM   #7

blindsight & cikcik,

Thank you very much for the additionalinformation. Will try it out and report my progress.
overpeck6 is offline   Reply With Quote